IGNORED

Rodwell Vs Rooney

Memmaclub

OK so bare with em trying to articulate my point.

Both young players both were on the fringes of england young both not played as first teamer by Moyes both rated with very high potential when young.

OK so when rooney hit the scene and then moved to Man U he was rated highly and moyes didn't play him massively and I remeber thinking at the time is this guy really going to be that good (He wasn't doing that much for everton as I remeber. He then goes on to be englands current best player.

Moving to Rodwell I feel the same thing applies. At his current form/skill level he has alot of off days and not too many on days. he doesn't have a well defined position although everyone raves about him. Is he really as good (or going to be as good) as they are saying. With him if we get 30 million based on potential is it worth selling based on our current position.

The selling of rooney allowed us to buy the right sort of players to take us to the next level for 5 years. Could Rodwell do the same.

We seemed to improve as a team when we sold Rooney.We will never know what would have been if he'd stayed.Wouldn't he have wanted a move at some time?

He wanted more money, trophies and fame and that's what the lad got.

If selling Rodwell improved Everton in the long term then I'd say yes sell him.How could you argue with overall improvement.

Would we sell Rodwell to become a top 4 side?

Can we improve at the moment with no money?

It's a big question you've asked.

I believe if Rooney would have stayed at Everton we'd have gone down. I honestly believe that.

The sale of Rodwell for £30 Million would be good for the club. I don't like to see us sell promising youngsters but needs must don't they?

If someone slapped down a sum of £30 Million I think we should bite their hand off. I don't know how far £30 Million would get us these days and I don't even know how much Moyes would get. But if £30 Million were to get Everton a new crop of Cahill's, Areta's, Pienarr's, Jags and Lescott's then I'm game.

Edited by Adam Partington

I believe if Rooney would have stayed at Everton we'd have gone down. I honestly believe that.

The sale of Rodwell for £30 Million would be good for the club. I don't like to see us sell promising youngsters but needs must don't they?

If someone slapped down a sum of £30 Million I think we should bite their hand off. I don't know how far £30 Million would get us these days and I don't even know how much Moyes would get. But if £30 Million were to get Everton a new crop of Cahill's, Areta's, Pienarr's, Jags and Lescott's then I'm game.

Bingo. I'd hate to see him go but if you go with logic rather than emotion, its a no-brainer. BUT, it would have to be 30+mill

I'm coming more around to selling Rodwell all the time tbh.

He can't get in our starting line-up so getting £25million plus for a bench warmer looks very good business (if we could get that much obviously). At the minute he's all potential and not much else, and selling him could allow us to bring in established quality and allow us to flesh out the squad.

But then you think about what we all hope he could become and it seems a stupid decision to sell him.

I'd hate to be Moyes/the board if a massive bid comes in or a bidding war for him starts.

I'm with you Mark. It's not so much selling Rodwell, it's how people will react to selling Rodwell. He's older than Rooney was when he left and I don't think he'll reach the heights that Rooney has. £25m is good business but I don't think it'd be that high personally.

I'm coming more around to selling Rodwell all the time tbh.

He can't get in our starting line-up so getting £25million plus for a bench warmer looks very good business (if we could get that much obviously). At the minute he's all potential and not much else, and selling him could allow us to bring in established quality and allow us to flesh out the squad.

But then you think about what we all hope he could become and it seems a stupid decision to sell him.

I'd hate to be Moyes/the board if a massive bid comes in or a bidding war for him starts.

I dont see how we can lose to be honest. We get a bidding war, massive figures quoted and he goes for crazy money. Or, we keep him and he develops into the player we all hope he can be.

He is all potential, but to be honest Rooney was very rough around the edges too, though it was more obvious with him.

Also, I would only let him go if we can tie Felli down for another 5 years. If Felli is going, I want Rodwell to fill the gap.

Real, mancs arent usually buying any potential. They wanna players who they think are ready. Mancs is just going to be a cemetery for hot prospects and dont think real would also interested to pay huge amounts for english talent, who havent played regularly. So only team could be united. They have good reputation with youngsters, at least aslong SAF is there.

Seriously you would all sell him?? The next England captain!? I may be a little mad saying this but there's few players around Rodwell's age who have his potential. Wouldn't we all want a player who could drag the team forward and wouldn't it be better if it was one of our own??

i think he has fantastic potential and that is quite obvious but that's all it is..he hasn't progressed as quick as i thought he would though..if we got 30m+ for him then it would be hard to say no..but as been said i'd want fellaini tied down to accept that

30+ mate, if Carrol is worth 35m....

But that was different because Newcastle knew that liverpool had just received 50 million and that they were looking for a striker just hours before the deadline closed. I think the circumstances would be quite different with rodwell but it is true that since hes english we it should be a escalated price, just not sure about 30+ mil.

The best thing (if we have to sell him) would be for him to come into the team now and play at the top of his game for the rest of the season.

Bale was suddenly worth absurd money after a handful of outstanding performances, same could apply....bidding war could push him towards £40m. He certainly shouldn't go anywhere for less than £30m (plus significant add-ons).

But that was different because Newcastle knew that liverpool had just received 50 million and that they were looking for a striker just hours before the deadline closed. I think the circumstances would be quite different with rodwell but it is true that since hes english we it should be a escalated price, just not sure about 30+ mil.

We know that Utd, Citeh and Real have more money that sense, the latter 2 especially. I know that the Carrol joke transfer was affected by the closing window, that it was mid-season etc, but my point is that Rodwell is a better prospect.

It worked when we sold JLo too, 24m partly because of the RS splashing out on Johnson. That and some very good negotiating from the board leggit.gif

Ok then lads we sell Rodwell for 25 million for eg, how much do you think Moyes would get from that? 8 million for Bellfield, 3 for Peanuts, 1 up front for Yak and the same for Yobo thats 13 million that went nowhere near Moyes office! Sell Rodders and we'd probobly get 5 million to replace him is fcukin ridiculous! Sorry to be down beat about it but im sick to death of this happening!

I still think we should buy Messi and Villa, and perhaps Kaka to sit on the subs bench. :leggit:

Only joking but seriously before we start selling players we really really should be looking at who to bring in. It is rank stupidity to sell our best players without planning for afterwards.

Unfortunately past history dictates we will be stupid about it. :mad:

We're in a really difficult situation because we're obviously skint so therefore can't really afford to ignore any big money offers for any of our players. But the truth is, successful clubs don't just buy the best talent, they develop their own and, most importantly of all, keep hold of it. In the 90s we had a terrible youth development system, we've now turned that round only to sell the best talent we've reproduced and now we're talking about selling the next bit. It's a sad, sad state of affairs for a club with our heritage, and I think at some point you've gotta draw a line in the sand and say no, these lads are our future, we're gonna build a team around them and see what they can do. It's how United started winning trophies again in the 90s, remember that.