IGNORED

Defensive Dilemma

Matt

http://www.evertonfc...s-balancing-act

Now I know this is never going to happen, but maybe a 532 is in order, with Baines and Coleman as wing-backs? More or less the case anwyay, might look like this:

--------------Howard-------------

-------Johny Jags Distin------

Coleman---Felli---Baines---

---------------Arteta---------------

---------Cahill--------------------

-------Becks------Saha--------

Dunno about you lot but thats a damn good looking lineup.

I see what your trying to get at Matt .. Liverpool tried that formation out not so long ago with good effect v Chelsea

But i think its all good saying that formation looks strong, but its whether the players can cope in those positions.

i would feel nervous if teams like chelsea hit us on the break, for instance down the right side, there wouldnt be the cool head of neville to stay in position, coleman, would be upfield and it would leave someone like malouda one on one with johnny, and he aint blesed with pace, players like torres and drogba would occupy the other centre halves, then before you know it someone like lampard comes in fairly unoccupied .. Thats a very brief example, but a formation like that for me, with our team, can only work in so many games.

Maybe i am talking shit, and blind sighted to a new formation, please say if you think that.

I still belive 451 to be the best formation while cahills around anyway also.

I see what your trying to get at Matt .. Liverpool tried that formation out not so long ago with good effect v Chelsea

But i think its all good saying that formation looks strong, but its whether the players can cope in those positions.

i would feel nervous if teams like chelsea hit us on the break, for instance down the right side, there wouldnt be the cool head of neville to stay in position, coleman, would be upfield and it would leave someone like malouda one on one with johnny, and he aint blesed with pace, players like torres and drogba would occupy the other centre halves, then before you know it someone like lampard comes in fairly unoccupied .. Thats a very brief example, but a formation like that for me, with our team, can only work in so many games.

Maybe i am talking shit, and blind sighted to a new formation, please say if you think that.

that's where fellaini would be..

i like the look of it myself..we aren't keepin clean sheets and i can't see no harm in trying it..it allows 1 cb to chase the ball whilst the other two can stay and mark the centre forwards and felli there to get back and help clean up when baines and/or coleman are upfield

I dont see anyone playing out of position, maybe Baines but that lad is playing both LB and LW at the moment anyway. The good thing about it is that we would have 3 quality CBs playing in the positions theyre comfortable with and Baines and Coleman can (and do now anyway) trackback the Malouda's so that the back 3 have some protection. Build the attack from the back, I know with those 3 lining up i would feel more comfortable.

Ok, Pip isnt there but frankly, his performances (1 pen aside) have been dire the last month or so and even the captain shouldnt be immune from being dropped. Plus, even if he was on the bench we have seen him play the capt from the side lines anyway (FA cup run?)

Considering the players we have at the moment, it just seems to make the most sense

On paper it certainly seems to offer us some good options. I have always been interested in playing 3 CB's and I mentioned this type of thing yonks ago somewhere else when we had Jags, Lescott and Yobo.

For me it has 2 weaknesses. The first is the lack of attacking width (although with Baines and Coleman this shouldnt be a problem) and then the gaps this leaves down the flanks on counters.

My problem with this and the way we currently play, is that to utilise the WBs and help us create width we will have to get the ball forward slowly (much like we do atm!) otherwise they will be playing piggy in the middle between defence and attack. If we then started hoofing it forward we will only have 1-2 outlets in one of the strikers and a supporting midfielder which could be quite easy to pick off if the opposition have a half decent DM.

My other concern would be how we would deal with wingers and full backs at the same time. Normally we would have a LB vs RM and LM Vs RB defensively, now with this you would have the LWB picking up the oppo winger but then who picks up the FB. Not quite sure how that would work in the Premiership against teams who attack down the flanks, unlike Chelsea who are very central.

Its certainly worth looking at though, but I fear we would use it as a defensive setup as opposed to an attacking one.

Edited by Bailey

pretty sure Real have played with wingbacks in the past, Barca kind of do in Alves....

Anyway, what have we won with 442, 451?

Division 1 Champions

1890-91, 1914-15, 1927-28, 1931-32, 1938-39, 1962-63, 1969-70, 1984-85, 1986-87.

Runners-Up

1889-90, 1894-95, 1901-02, 1904-05, 1908-09, 1911-12, 1985-86.

Division 2 Champions

1930-31.

Runners-Up

1953-54.

FA Cup Winners

1906, 1933, 1966, 1984, 1995.

Runners-Up

1893, 1897, 1907, 1968, 1985, 1986, 1989, 2009.

Charity Shield Winners

1928, 1932, 1963, 1970, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1995, Shared 1986.

League Cup Runners-Up

1976-77, 1983-84.

European Cup-Winners' Cup Winners

1984-85.

FA Youth Cup Winners

1965, 1984, 1998.

Apart from that fuck all! :P:P

Division 1 Champions

1890-91, 1914-15, 1927-28, 1931-32, 1938-39, 1962-63, 1969-70, 1984-85, 1986-87.

Runners-Up

1889-90, 1894-95, 1901-02, 1904-05, 1908-09, 1911-12, 1985-86.

Division 2 Champions

1930-31.

Runners-Up

1953-54.

FA Cup Winners

1906, 1933, 1966, 1984, 1995.

Runners-Up

1893, 1897, 1907, 1968, 1985, 1986, 1989, 2009.

Charity Shield Winners

1928, 1932, 1963, 1970, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1995, Shared 1986.

League Cup Runners-Up

1976-77, 1983-84.

European Cup-Winners' Cup Winners

1984-85.

FA Youth Cup Winners

1965, 1984, 1998.

Apart from that fuck all! :P:P

was waiting for some smartarse to copy wikipedia :P

Don't want to be picky but the majority of those were won with a 2-3-5 :P .

1- Goalkeeper

2- Right (full) back.

3- Left (full) back.

4- Right half (back).

5- Centre half (back).

6- Left half (back).

7- Outside right (right wing).

8- Inside right.

9- Centre forward.

10- Inside left.

11- Outside left (left wing)

http://www.evertonfc...s-balancing-act

Now I know this is never going to happen, but maybe a 532 is in order, with Baines and Coleman as wing-backs? More or less the case anwyay, might look like this:

--------------Howard-------------

-------Johny Jags Distin------

Coleman---Felli---Baines---

---------------Arteta---------------

---------Cahill--------------------

-------Becks------Saha--------

Dunno about you lot but thats a damn good looking lineup.

Moyes won't leave Phil out.

On paper it certainly seems to offer us some good options. I have always been interested in playing 3 CB's and I mentioned this type of thing yonks ago somewhere else when we had Jags, Lescott and Yobo.

For me it has 2 weaknesses. The first is the lack of attacking width (although with Baines and Coleman this shouldnt be a problem) and then the gaps this leaves down the flanks on counters.

My problem with this and the way we currently play, is that to utilise the WBs and help us create width we will have to get the ball forward slowly (much like we do atm!) otherwise they will be playing piggy in the middle between defence and attack. If we then started hoofing it forward we will only have 1-2 outlets in one of the strikers and a supporting midfielder which could be quite easy to pick off if the opposition have a half decent DM.

My other concern would be how we would deal with wingers and full backs at the same time. Normally we would have a LB vs RM and LM Vs RB defensively, now with this you would have the LWB picking up the oppo winger but then who picks up the FB. Not quite sure how that would work in the Premiership against teams who attack down the flanks, unlike Chelsea who are very central.

Its certainly worth looking at though, but I fear we would use it as a defensive setup as opposed to an attacking one.

i'd say it would be the outside cb on whichever side...leaving the other two to cover the centre...stick johnny in the middle with jags and distin on either side who are both quite pacey(especially distin)

Edited by marcopaulo

When i first read this i thought it was madness but im being persuaded otherwise now! Altho if it was tried and we got hammered i'd say i was drunk when i posted this! The biggest worry would be the speed we got the ball forward we dilly dally then hoof quite a bit with 2 cb's would it be worse with 3 there?

The whole reason i started the thread was because we have 3 crackin CBs, a RB capt who is crap at the moment, a RB-come-RW and a LB playing a LB+LW. Having Arteta and Bily (if Cahill was to be dropped) helping these 2 flyers just makes sense with the players we have at the moment. Of course it wont happen but really considering who we have and how those players play, theres no reasonable reason why we couldnt.

The whole reason i started the thread was because we have 3 crackin CBs, a RB capt who is crap at the moment, a RB-come-RW and a LB playing a LB+LW. Having Arteta and Bily (if Cahill was to be dropped) helping these 2 flyers just makes sense with the players we have at the moment. Of course it wont happen but really considering who we have and how those players play, theres no reasonable reason why we couldnt.

I totally agree with this