IGNORED

Andy Van Der Meyde Retires

Wall Writer

Also think DM dug his heels in a bit. VDM had a couple of decent pre-seasons when he played a lot but was then ignored for the real stuff.

I remember going up the road from me and watching him against 'The Vale' & he was fucking un-real! Granted against a pretty poor side but he just sprayed the ball across the park and made it look easy. I remember saying to my old man that we could maybe see him at his best 'this season' (think it might have been 2006/07). How wrong I was.

Whilst reading that article it made me think what a devastating waste of talent he is, I'd have chopped my nob-ead off to have an ounce of what he had on the ball. Just a shame he had the IQ of a door.

Don't want to be critical of him, has had to deal with issues none of us would want. I'm sure any of us would love the opportunity to be a top flight footballer and it is confusing to see someone "throw it away" - but to understand him you need to walk in his shoes.

Hopefully he finds the piece of mind and opportunity to allow him to give something back to the game which has no doubt set him up financially.

• 1 year later...