IGNORED

David Conn's Analysis

http://www.scribd.com/doc/55741334/Sport-Scribd-Doc

Record income but record losses for Premier League | David Conn | Football | guardian.co.uk

The amount of wages paid compared to the to table finish position are worth a look.

It seems that for this season, we are about right and not really 'over-achieving'.

State they're in

Have wriggled with frustration for years at grand old Goodison’s commercial limitations. But on the income of £79m, with a wage bill less than a third of Chelsea’s, David Moyes’s team have performed creditably. The chairman, Bill Kenwright, has pushed the finances as far as he can. Had Everton not sold Joleon Lescott to Manchester City for £22m, they would have recorded a loss of £22m. The chairman says his search for a benefactor goes on.

Outlook

If Everton could appreciate their blessings – homely old ground, steely manager, strong team – they could be happy, but the club wants success.

The Joleon Lescott statement doesn't seem quite right, but it is true. It's no secret that some of the money from his sale was used to pay some player wages but it was also used to bring in new players. Robert Elstone was correct in saying it was re-invested into the squad.

How dare we want success eh, David Conn? Shame on us!

Think what he is getting at is that we outperform everyone with a similar wage bill or turnover and he feels additional "success" is unattainable without significant increased outlay which potentially could cripple the club(Villa's situation being comparable). Its ok to want a top four finish or some silverware, but we should appreciate finishing top 7 in the league- because the top 4 is unrealistic from a purely financial standpoint.

Think what he is getting at is that we outperform everyone with a similar wage bill or turnover and he feels additional "success" is unattainable without significant increased outlay which potentially could cripple the club(Villa's situation being comparable). Its ok to want a top four finish or some silverware, but we should appreciate finishing top 7 in the league- because the top 4 is unrealistic from a purely financial standpoint.

Mirror my take on it.

Ah well, there's my ambition gone now then. I've now seen the error of my ways. I'm now wondering why we don't have an open top bus parade for coming 7th. I mean, it's the equivalent of winning the league for little old Everton. I'll get onto the club, see if it can be arranged for next season.

Ah well, there's my ambition gone now then. I've now seen the error of my ways. I'm now wondering why we don't have an open top bus parade for coming 7th. I mean, it's the equivalent of winning the league for little old Everton. I'll get onto the club, see if it can be arranged for next season.

I don't think that's what he was saying Mark. I take it that 'based' on what we have, we've done very well comparitively speaking. Is it good enough? no. But untill we have money, our league position won't be reflected by that?

Edited by tenaciousj

I don't think that's what he was saying Mark. I take it that 'based' on what we have, we've done very well comparitively speaking. Is it good enough? no. But untill we have money, our league position won't be reflected by that?

I'm not saying we haven't done well, but the author of that article is making out like we should be doing cartwheels just because we've finished 5th/6th/7th and managed a 4th place finish once. They should be treated exactly as they are, not made out to be like we're Champions. There's nothing wrong with wanting better and I find the statement that we'd be happy if only we didn't want success condescending and an absolute pisstake. We're not Wigan Athletic, we're Everton Football Club. This club has tasted real success. I may not have been around when we pissed on everyone from a great height but I know it happened and because of that I hold the club in a high regard.

So, fuck David Conn, I want success and that will never change.

It's the same old rubbish that we are fed year on year. We should be happy that we have Kenwright, we should be happy we have Moyes, I suppose we should be happy that we can get a sausage roll and a pint at half time?

"Proud old club", "Peoples club" - starting to be used as a patronising "well done for still being here you pov's - we'll give you the last five minutes on MOTD". Blimey - the "dogs of war" may even do the rounds next. How's about remebering "the school of science", "mersey millionaires", "holy trinity" - then they may have a little understanding as to why there is a hardcore element that truly believe in Nil Satis Nisi Optimum. Just because we don't have a large amount of easy jet passengers waving their scarves to Gerry and the pacemakers whilst taking photo's of themselves in the process doesn't mean we haven't got aspirations of being great again.

Fact is we pay serious cash to the players who turn out, internationals etc, we have (rent) a state of the art training facility, we have a great catchment and have brought some good youngsters through - what is it about these idiots that make them thing that we are not in a position to be ambitious? Are we meant to apologise for having the gall to possess players like fellaini, baines, jagielka, rodwell who surely are meant to be at a big club?

Winning something may bring out more of a victorious two fingered salute as opposed to a feeling of jubilation - a bit sad really.

Why? Weve done it before and come close once or twice since. Money doesnt always guarentee success - look at Liverpool. 55m spent in Jan, we spent 900k - how far above us are they. Before people start saying "but watch them next season, with Sunderland, Villa, etc splashing the cash, we will get left behind", fact is we havent this season for or in previous seasons. We have the quality on the pitch to compete with the best and richest, Its taken City 400m over 3 seasons to manage a CL place and some silverware but they still cant beat us.

What we need is a way of getting the players to play against the mid-lower table teams and get results. Money isnt going to buy that....

Edited by Matt

howard

neville-spurs

jags-arse

distin-spurs

baines-everyone

heitinga-man city

fellaini-chelsea/real madrid

rodwell-everyone

arteta-man city

cahill-been a few seasons but could have went to a champs league team

saha-arsenal

the papers seem to think everton are not good enough for champs league position but all our players are according to their rumours

Why? Weve done it before and come close once or twice since. Money doesnt always guarentee success - look at Liverpool. 55m spent in Jan, we spent 900k - how far above us are they. Before people start saying "but watch them next season, with Sunderland, Villa, etc splashing the cash, we will get left behind", fact is we havent this season for or in previous seasons. We have the quality on the pitch to compete with the best and richest, Its taken City 400m over 3 seasons to manage a CL place and some silverware but they still cant beat us.

What we need is a way of getting the players to play against the mid-lower table teams and get results. Money isnt going to buy that....

Maybe I am off the mark here but I thought the biggest cause of dissatisfaction was the lack of spending. Spending doesnt always guarantee success but it does guarantee moving deeper into debt. Being dissatisfied with Moyes tactics? Fine- Think the club screwed up its stadium plans and Bill is to blame? No problem. But Conn is looking at Everton with less debt, debt increasing at a lower rate, better on field performance than any team with comparable financial means- he thinks thats enviable- I doesnt seem to me that he is telling Evertonians to be good little fan's, compete for Europa, and let the big boys compete for honors but I think many here feel that way.

Maybe I am off the mark here but I thought the biggest cause of dissatisfaction was the lack of spending. Spending doesnt always guarantee success but it does guarantee moving deeper into debt. Being dissatisfied with Moyes tactics? Fine- Think the club screwed up its stadium plans and Bill is to blame? No problem. But Conn is looking at Everton with less debt, debt increasing at a lower rate, better on field performance than any team with comparable financial means- he thinks thats enviable- I doesnt seem to me that he is telling Evertonians to be good little fan's, compete for Europa, and let the big boys compete for honors but I think many here feel that way.

"If Everton could appreciate their blessings – homely old ground, steely manager, strong team – they could be happy, but the club wants success"

I pasted this in journo-translate and it said:- "pipe down you bunch of delusional scousers, you are lucky to have an old stadium never mind a state of the art jobby, your manager is a typically stubborn scottish manager and is happy to shop in poundland for players who will do as they are told, it's only a matter of time before baines and co go to Man City. do you still think it's the 1980's? - get with the times"

Lawrenson being a patronising shit in his game preview as well...

"You would have to argue that out of these two sides, it is Everton that have had the better season despite their relative league positions.

While, once again, Everton have played above themselves, Chelsea have fallen short of their goal - to win something."

How have we played above ourselves? About par for the course from a neutrals perspective at the start of the season maybe, but certainly not above ourselves, and below what many of us hoped/expected.

Lawrenson being a patronising shit in his game preview as well...

"You would have to argue that out of these two sides, it is Everton that have had the better season despite their relative league positions.

While, once again, Everton have played above themselves, Chelsea have fallen short of their goal - to win something."

How have we played above ourselves? About par for the course from a neutrals perspective at the start of the season maybe, but certainly not above ourselves, and below what many of us hoped/expected.

Agreed. Before the start of the season we were identified as dark horses in the title race by saf. Of our first 11 the only positions where we aren't comparable with the top 4 are right back, left mid. And up front. On other areas we are potentially stronger than some.

Like it or not the team that failed miserably against the likes of Blackburn, WBA, Newcastle, reading was a disgrace.

Next season I expect to see such shortcomings sorted. This season was a great chance to once more reach the top 4 - the red noses know this only too well.