IGNORED

What Does Moyes Need To Improve As A Manager Next Season

We are all aware of where the team needs to be strengthened next season, but what about Moyes, what does he need to improve as a manager for the upcoming season, this is a crucial campaign coming up i feel, and the whole club needs to be on top of its game, id say as followed:

- be a bit more flexible with tactics, it would be great to see 2 upfront, especially if we can get another forward in, we are incredibly negative at times, and against teams who tbh we could thrash if we wanted, but sometimes we get a goal, then just sit back and defend

- play people in the correct positons, we all know Billy needs a kick up the arse, but don't buy someone who is a central player, then play them out on the wide area all the time knowing its not their natural position.

- stop with the silly substitutions all the time, he made some bizzare sub decisions last season, and a few proved to be very wrong, and for no real reason leaving us all wondering what the hell what was going on, especially when Neville had to come off a few times, when he had been playing well, and you could see he was really pissed with Moyes.

I don't think you can pick on him for playing someone out of position. We simply don't have anyone in the squad for whom the wing is his natural position, but someone needs to play there. By the way, I think Bily did play out wide in Russia. And he certainly does so for Russia (or at least he did against Belgium not that long ago).

I would like to see some more hard pressing higher up the pitch. And maybe he should experiment more with his formations. I think our side could have done with two strikers on multiple occasions this season. Indeed, we struggled to field one decent striker, but that's exactly why we needed more of them.

If we could get some pacey and direct wingers that can score goals though, I'd like to see us in a 4-3-3. With the defensive midfielder (Fellaini) dropping deep between the central defenders when we're in possession and the two full-backs (Baines and Coleman) bombing forward. Osman and Arteta would be the other central midfielders. Saha would be the striker. I think that's a role that would suit him well. Dropping deeper to link up with the midfielders, creating space for the wingers...

Edited by Steve_E

I don't think you can pick on him for playing someone out of position. We simply don't have anyone in the squad for whom the wing is his natural position, but someone needs to play there. By the way, I think Bily did play out wide in Russia. And he certainly does so for Russia (or at least he did against Belgium not that long ago).

I would like to see some more hard pressing higher up the pitch. And maybe he should experiment more with his formations. I think our side could have done with two strikers on multiple occasions this season. Indeed, we struggled to field one decent striker, but that's exactly why we needed more of them.

If we could get some pacey and direct wingers that can score goals though, I'd like to see us in a 4-3-3. With the defensive midfielder (Fellaini) dropping deep between the central defenders when we're in possession and the two full-backs (Baines and Coleman) bombing forward. Osman and Arteta would be the other central midfielders. Saha would be the striker. I think that's a role that would suit him well. Dropping deeper to link up with the midfielders, creating space for the wingers...

Your quite right he did play wide at wide quite frequently when he was in Russia and he has done on several occasions for the national team, they have even used him as a wing back!

Romey Im not saying he is infallible but all the Moyes bashing in here just frustrates me because I know what a great manager he is, people should get off his back and appreciate how lucky we are to have him

Yes it would be nice to have two up top but in the first half of the season Saha was woefully short of form, The Yak was a waste of space, Vic hasnt scored since he was about 7, and Beckford clearly wasnt ready. So how do you justify picking 2 from that lot?

As for playing people out of position, the season before last there was a lot of man love going on in here when Johnny H was playing centre mid, then all of a sudden last season its a complete joke to play him there and Moyes must be out of his mind so much so we should replace him with Holloway or Coyle!

When the Moysie bashers harp on about him playing players out of position I notice Seamus Coleman never gets mentioned.

Tactically Im sure Moyse would love to be able to chop and change the system to be able to play 4-3-3 one week , 4-5-1 the week after and 4-4-2 when he feels like it but the fact of the matter is with our wafer thin squad and the injuries we had we simply havent got the players to do that.

He tried to change it around at the start of the season and he had us playing some nice flowing football but we had nobody upfront to finish the moves off and we ended up in the relegation places so he reverted back to the tried and trusted 4-5-1 and hey presto we shot back up the league.

I know that formation is not to everyones liking, especially in here, but face facts it is the fromation that suits our players best

...the season before last there was a lot of man love going on in here when Johnny H was playing centre mid, then all of a sudden last season its a complete joke to play him there...

I'm pretty certain the man love thread started after Johnny had an extended period in central defence....not in midfield.

What does Moyes need to do to improve as a manager!

Learn from his mistakes, he made some last season, as he did the season before and the ones before that.

Just about every job you can think of is subject to learning from misrakes.

I've been plying my trade for nearly 30 years and I'd say in about another 10 years I'll be bloody good at it.

Moyes is a bloody good manager, but he could get a lot better in the next few years.He's not been helped by a regular injury jinx and small squad and not having huge amounts of money, but he seems to work just as well with his bargin buys so that's in his favour.

We all know Alex Ferguson couldn't win the prem with Aston Villa or Fulham, so I'd say pound for pound Moyes has worked wonders with us (with it's injury jinx and small squad).

If he ( Moyes) has to sell Baines, Rodwell or similar to balance books or bring in a few extra players and the likes of Bily and Arteta don't perform.....you can't really blame him.

Haha where do we start...

The biggest thing for me is that he needs to decide exactly how he wants to play... I may have views on how I want us to play, but some of the teams he has sent out have been a right mixture and the players themselves havent looked as if they know what role they should be playing. We had a lot of early success with Moyes when the players had a strict rigid formation, each with fairly specific roles. Ever since Carsley has left we havent really been able to fill the DM spot, and know we have Felli we have stopped using a single DM and have instead moved to two DM's which dont do the job they should be and hasnt really worked all season. The balance in midfield for the last 2 seasons has been the main reason we havent progressed tactically imo... Too many players trying to do too many things.

Hopefully someone else with a better memory will be able to correct me (or prove me right) but a lot of Cahills early success came from playing as a breaking midfielder (as opposed to playing off the striker) which is why he scored several goals arriving later in the box. The further he plays up front the easier he is to mark and the easier we can be stopped as its predictable. He can obviously do well playing off the striker but I think he can have more of an impact supporting from midfield, and it also means that when he isnt fit, then it is easier for us to slip a replacement such as Osman, Rodwell, Arteta etc. He actually played like this late on in games for us early part of the season and scored a couple of important goals (although cant remember who against).

I would also like him to be more decisive in making substitions, especially if we need the 3 points. Too many times its like for like and too late in the game.

I also think he should be dropping players on merit and drop who has been playing badly and instead of putting square pegs in round holes, get a youngster in the 1st team of whom its his natural position. Rodwell playing RM is one of the worst decisions he has ever made tactically (and he keeps doing it every now and then). Even if the youngster isnt going to be a world beater, he will play better than someone who doesnt have a clue positionally.

The only other one I can be arsed to type out now, would be to get a solid pre-season in. If he wants to work on new systems do it in the early part of pre-season and develop it then. Dont leave it til the last preseason game against a decent opposition, get comfortably beaten and then pursist with it first game. If we do that Spurs will turn us over comfortably opening day as Harry will have them on point.

To get team ready for the new season. We have started poorly at least last 2 seasons, and that definitely have to change. He cant buy us new players with hes own salary, so we have to trust that he will again do hes best for the team. And second thing i like him to do next season is drop and sell Anichebe :P (or then he has to prove playing him is valuable for the team, this vould ofc be the better option, cause we cant get out of him that kind of amount, that we could strenght the team)

I'd like to see 2 strikers played more, especially if we are unable to sign a winger or two who have out and out pace. Moyes needs to take more risks going forward, especially when our better players are injury free.