IGNORED

uk motorway speed changes

Louis

Depends on how/if they plan to enforce it.

As it is with the supposed seventy limit you can drive at eighty-five and be pretty sure you're not going to be stopped...you'd be unlucky to be pulled at ninety.

So if they're actually going to rigorously enforce eighty I'd rather it stayed as it is.

I got done for speeding last year. I was doing 31 mph officially, in a 30 mph area. I can't deny it, I did wrong and was caught. I was going downhill at the time and picked up speed without noticing. So I have no sympathy for folks who are travelling at 90 mph, unless it is vertically off a tall building of course.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime as they say.

I got done for speeding last year. I was doing 31 mph officially, in a 30 mph area.

If that's true Rubes you should have fought it....goes against police guidelines..

Vehicle construction and use regulations require a vehicle speedometer accuracy to be in the range of -0->+10%. The implications are that it must never under-read - for obvious reasons - but may over-read. As the cost of manufacturing a speedometer with -0% error would be very costly they all over-read by a few percent without exception. Even if speed is measured correctly the display may not be accurate, so a speedometer error is allowed. Because of this, the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) have an official formula for calculating a speeding offence. It allows a leeway of 10% plus 2mph. In reality, most speed traps are triggered at higher speeds than this because if they were set bang-on those guidelines, the sheer amount of paperwork generated would overrun the police speeding departments.

Can't help but feel it will simply shift everybody up by 10mph. So all those doing 80 will not do 90.

I'd far rather see 'context sensitive' speeds. So middle of the night and no traffic - 100 is ok. etc

In this day and age, it wouldn't be that difficult for Engine Management to be limited with 'x minutes' allowed over the limit for emergency use.

You get the idea? limited to 70, but there's 5% of the time you can go over it a little - just in case there's a genuine need for it.

AND.. it would boost the economy in 'chipping' your car to circumvent it ;-)

If that's true Rubes you should have fought it....goes against police guidelines..

Vehicle construction and use regulations require a vehicle speedometer accuracy to be in the range of -0->+10%. The implications are that it must never under-read - for obvious reasons - but may over-read. As the cost of manufacturing a speedometer with -0% error would be very costly they all over-read by a few percent without exception. Even if speed is measured correctly the display may not be accurate, so a speedometer error is allowed. Because of this, the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) have an official formula for calculating a speeding offence. It allows a leeway of 10% plus 2mph. In reality, most speed traps are triggered at higher speeds than this because if they were set bang-on those guidelines, the sheer amount of paperwork generated would overrun the police speeding departments.

There also has to be evidence that the lines in the road and the camera have been calibrated within a specific period of time prior to the alleged incident..

Also - I'd have to verify this again - but handheld units are supposed to be calibrated and logged as such EACH morning before they are put into operation - failure to register a calibration effectively 'voids' the reading... even though if you were doing 100 in a 30 zone, it's unlike the calibration was that far out.

Problem is - it's usually cheaper to pay the fine and take the points than it is to challenge it, once you've spent the time preparing your case and filling in the forms, attending court etc.

A couple of footballers have gotten off on this, along with incorrect procedure after being pulled over, and poorly calibrated average speed distances... the more money you've got, the more you can afford to challenge!

A couple of mates are in the Essex traffic police and they wont nick any one unless they feel it is dangerous, if your in a fairly modern car doing 80 in a 70 you'll be alright however if its foggy,pissing down , icy or heavy traffic then your'e fucking nicked,

we don't have any motorways round here, just dual carriage ways but there is a difference between Suffolk

police and Essex police, Suffolk Police will nick you for farting off key, and Essex will be more sensible, I guess Suffolk police have fuck all to do,

But I think its a good move as most cars can handle 80 with ease and most accidents happen at 30

I did make enquiries MikeO but it is only a GUIDeLINE They can enforce ANYTHING over the speed limit apparently. Peed me off a bit at the time, but I only got fined, no points. (I volunteered to take the driving course... I was in with real psycho's too. but still got my clean licence.)

i personally think its long overdue.

the old speed limits were set when cars had much longer stopping distances.

a car now can stop in half the distance of a car from the early 90s, in the next few years it will be compulsary for new cars to have even more advanced braking systems (ESP makes a huge difference, much more than just ABS).

ok in built up areas and near schools the limit should not be raised at all, but dual carriageways and motorways shouldnt make much difference with 10mph.

Germany manage the autobhan without a speed limit without killing thousands of people a year.

i personally think its long overdue.

the old speed limits were set when cars had much longer stopping distances.

a car now can stop in half the distance of a car from the early 90s, in the next few years it will be compulsary for new cars to have even more advanced braking systems (ESP makes a huge difference, much more than just ABS).

ok in built up areas and near schools the limit should not be raised at all, but dual carriageways and motorways shouldnt make much difference with 10mph.

Germany manage the autobhan without a speed limit without killing thousands of people a year.

not on all autobahns though

i know that mate, i dont suggest we have no speed limit over here, i just think we have space to move forwards with the technology of the vehicles

oh i agree, but wanted to make sure everyone knew that not all the motorways are speed limit free, in case it wasnt common knowledge.

1 thing to remember though, not everyone has a modern car so increasing it to 80 means people in F reg Fiat Pandas can do 80 too (if it can get there) and theyre a death trap as it is!

oh i agree, but wanted to make sure everyone knew that not all the motorways are speed limit free, in case it wasnt common knowledge.

1 thing to remember though, not everyone has a modern car so increasing it to 80 means people in F reg Fiat Pandas can do 80 too (if it can get there) and theyre a death trap as it is!

People in F reg Fiat Pandas actually deserve to die! or get an upgrade to using the bus.

It all depends on road and traffic conditions, for instance, the M6 expressway or whatever it is called could quite happily accommodate far higher speeds for the most part, as could many other motorways.

The real problem in the UK are the knobs behind the wheels who do not drive properly like the "middle lane hogs" and "bumper humpers". If the traffic police spent a bit more time educating these people then the roads would be a lot safer and flow better.

Edited by iggy