IGNORED

Squad shake up for January ?

Avinalaff

Can we afford not to sell in January?

Who is surplus to requirements, and who needs to be replaced and sent packing? Not only do we have the smallest senior squad in the League, but our senior players are getting on a bit too, with far too many at the graceful end of their careers.

We have players such as Bilyaletdinov, who has not played this season in the league, and only 933 minutes last season. The guy cost nearly £10m and we're skint. Why has Moyes kept hold of such an expensive depreciating in value player?

Fellaini is still in contract talks, but I can't see a happy ending there without breaking the bank, and he's not worth it in the current climate imho.

Saha will probably go out to graze next season, unles he gets a lucrative deal somewhere in the sun, so surely any offer for him will be accepted.

Neville has already seen the slippery slope as Hibbert returned to form. Will he still be here?

Distin, as good as he is, will also need replacing soon, and class isn't cheap.

Cahill has been insignificant, and is costing a few quid to keep around, and Howard is no spring chicken either.

I can go on, but our team is in danger here of disintegrating into a team of reserves, and the longer we leave it the worse it will get. Unless we get investment, I feel we will have no option but to sell our top players in order to rebuild a squad.

Drenthe, Straque, and Mcfadden are only contracted until the end of the season.

Can we afford not to sell?

I agree with the Bily comments. He should be first out the door.

Bar Fellaini, Saha is the only who I still think could demand a worthwhile transfer fee. If someone did come in then I would let him go, but the price would have to be right.

If you are looking to ship players on that make the most of their transfer fee allied with their importance to the club(or potential importance), then you would have to look at Jags or Heitinga. Disitn is the most cost effective and has the solidest form, so one of these two should probably be next on the goodbye list.

I agree with the Bily comments. He should be first out the door.

Bar Fellaini, Saha is the only who I still think could demand a worthwhile transfer fee. If someone did come in then I would let him go, but the price would have to be right.

If you are looking to ship players on that make the most of their transfer fee allied with their importance to the club(or potential importance), then you would have to look at Jags or Heitinga. Disitn is the most cost effective and has the solidest form, so one of these two should probably be next on the goodbye list.

Agree with all this. Only 2 comments would be on Howard and Felli. Howard is only 32 which is a great age for a keeper, easily got another 3-5 years out of him. Look at Friedel, hes just turned 40 and still playing at the top.

Felli, in my opinion, would walk into most of the top teams here and abroad. I think people miss how much he does.

Felli, in my opinion, would walk into most of the top teams here and abroad. I think people miss how much he does.

Exactly this. For me he just oozes class, quiet and efficient when he does his defensive job and on occasion just ghosts past the opposition. An all round top quality player and whatever he wants just give it to him - if only so we can realise his full transfer worth, he cant leave on a free.

What else have we got? We don't need a CB to replace to Distin, Heitinga warms the bench and hopefully Duffy will be ready when Distin hangs up his boots. We need a striker but whats new? Saha is never going to play 30 games a season but we knew that when we signed him, Vellios looks good and I have high hopes, we dont know about Stracq and I hear no reports from any reserve appearances.

Drenthe may be difficult to tie down as I think a few clubs will be interested when he will most likely become a free agent and for me I want him staying with us

Lastly dont sell Bily, we will make a loss and I still believe he can cut it. Even the most ardent anti Bily would admit he shows flashes of brilliance, albeit to be followed by something turd but has he really had enough games?

yes billy is surplus, its all well and good saying we should sell him, but, erm.. to who? i dont see anyone begging him to sign for them. anyone think DM would keep him if he had an offer?

as much as our older players need replacing we dont have any money. if we sell players we probably still wont have any money.

saha, neville and distin are all getting on and yes, we need fresh blood. wont happen with the current owners though will it?

even if we sold these three, they have very little value in the market. i think if we got £3m for the lot of them it would be lucky, its not worth losing them for the fee we would get.

howard doesnt need to go anywhere, hes still young by keepers standards. look at the form of van der saar the last few years approaching 40, even brad friedel. no worries about howard at all for me.

the threadbare squad has been lucky with injuries so far, one or two could really put us in the shit.

we have one of the smallest squads of players over 21 in the league, we need some new players. the financial mess we are in is affecting the team on the pitch, but still plenty of fans will think its not so bad.

im just hoping drenthe turns out as a blinder of a player and we get him on a free. other than that im all out of hope and worried about the next few games.

Neville has signed a new contract, I don't see him going anywhere, he's happy to play out his days with us I'd say. Wouldn't be surprised if he started doing coaching badges while playing next season.

With Moyes this week keen to state that a new contract is imminent for Fellaini it looks like we have every intention of keeping him and rightly so, he's young has great quality which still hasn't been recognised by so many people both supporters and those outside the club.

Saha will likely get another year IF he stays fit for a majority of the season (rofl.gif )

I can't honestly see Cahill going to any other club apart from back to Australia, I don't think Moyes would force him out and he wouldn't want to leave. We wouldn't get much of a fee if he goes to Australia and I can see him signing another year contract at least unless injury keep shim out. I think unless he can prove himself in the next few months though he should be getting a pay drop (give him a bigger goal bonus!).

Distin is another player that due to age won't command much of a fee but he's such a fine athlete that he's got a good few years left in him yet. I'd hang on to him but look to utilise Heitinga more, would be a shame to lose a quality player like Jonny because he's not getting any games.

BILY - GET RID - codders you say Bily can still prove himself and I'd love to see him playing (in Cahill's position ideally) and giving it a go but Moyes isn't going to play him, he's not coming off the bench and will be lucky if he gets a run out in the Carling Cup tonight. It surprised me that he didn't leave during the summer, with funds needed and him so rarely played they should have been pushing him towards the door. Surely there's some Russian side that would pay a resonable fee for one of their Internationals...ideally for a stupid fee to Anzhi!!! I'd take anything over 5 million for him, this would give us funds to try to secure Drenthe or someone else.

Anichebe - Surely Moyes must have lost patience after yet another injury, get him out the door for a couple of millions in January and we'll all have something to smile about.

So not a lot that can go anywhere in my view, importantly Moyes needs to move on from having Cahill as a first choice every time and either develop a new formation or find someone to fill his boots. Get some funds in from Bily and Anichebe and sign Fellaini up.

You beat me to it wooney, we're on the same wavelength.

Transfer ......

Bilyaletdinov £7m ..........To get some money, and to get him off the wage bill.

Heitinga £7m ..................To get money and some more off the wage bill, He is obviously not in Moyes plans.

Anichebe £2m .................We have waited far too long for him to fulfil his potential I'm not sure he can do it now.

Saha £2m ........................ If we get any money at all it will be a bonus, too injury prone, playing 2 games in every 10 is not good.

Cahill £3m ........................ Been a great player for us but its about time we let him go home, fortunately we have Barklay coming through and are reasonably well off for mid-fielders

Peeps might think i'm being a bit drastic here, but if you look at it realisticly we have coped well enough without the first four, its only Cahill thats been playing more often, but i always said if he doesn't score goals he isn't that good, and now some cracks are starting to appear.

That should bring in about £20 million and take another £10 million off the wage bill. We should then set out to acquire a decent striker and a wide man, preferably from abroad because decent English players are so overpriced.

This will also give Drenthe, Duffy, Vellios, and Barkley the chance of more game time to improve.

Prune but improve.

Edited by Bill