IGNORED

Q & A vs. Manchester United

The Hole

Hello all, I come in peace.

I am the creator of a Manchester United website called Stretford End Arising.

I am currently in the process of putting together a match preview for Everton vs. Manchester United. Normally match previews on Stretford End Arising include the thoughts of an opposition fan with the aim of offering a balanced view. Here is an example preview for the game vs. City: http://www.stretfordendarising.com/2011/10/23/match-preview-manchester-united-vs-manchester-city/.

To the site owner and mods, can I ask several questions to forum members? A link to this forum will be included in the published article.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hello all, I come in peace.

I am the creator of a Manchester United website called Stretford End Arising.

I am currently in the process of putting together a match preview for Everton vs. Manchester United. Normally match previews on Stretford End Arising include the thoughts of an opposition fan with the aim of offering a balanced view. Here is an example preview for the game vs. City: http://www.stretford...nchester-city/.

To the site owner and mods, can I ask several questions to forum members? A link to this forum will be included in the published article.

Cheers,

Andrew

welcome mate. We do a similar thing too, not sure who volunteered to cover your game and on which though.....

Hello all,

Here are my questions:

1. What are your thoughts on Saturday’s game? What team is Moyes likely to select and what formation will he adopt? What weaknesses in United’s team will Moyes look to exploit?

2. What are your thoughts on Everton’s start to the season?

3. Tell us about the potential of Ross Barkley? He has impressed on the limited amount I’ve seen him, however is being over-hyped? Or is he a special talent? Are you worried about losing him?

4. Similar to Barkley, Rodwell received plenty of attention when he burst on the scene. Has injury and selected in different positions stunted his development? Has he stagnated? How has he started the season? Do you believe he will fulfil his potential?

5. David Moyes is approaching his tenth anniversary as Everton manager. What are your thoughts on his ten years as a whole? What are your current thoughts? What does the future hold for him as Everton manager?

1. What are your thoughts on Saturday’s game? What team is Moyes likely to select and what formation will he adopt? What weaknesses in United’s team will Moyes look to exploit?

Quite frankly, im terrified. Weve not exactly been playing the most attractive attacking football recently (though it seems that tonight against Chelsea that might have changed) and youre going to be looking for blood following the derby result. I would imagine Neville will start again and he will help implement Moyes' defensive park-the-bus mentality on the pitch. As for your weaknesses, it all depends on our mentality. If we go at you, like we should, Id think your 2 centre backs might get a tough time but only if we get that far up the pitch!

Im usually one of the more optimistic but this season has been boring. Weve not played like we can and anyone saying thats down to Arteta leaving needs their head examined. Hopefully its just our slow start mentality which is wearing off but if its not and we continue like this, we will not achieve anything this season, again......

3. Tell us about the potential of Ross Barkley? He has impressed on the limited amount I’ve seen him, however is being over-hyped? Or is he a special talent? Are you worried about losing him?

Ive not seen Barkley play much because he hasnt played much. When he has, he has looked very impressive especially given his age. I think that a lot of Evertonians are so excited about him, more so than when Rodwell hit the scene, because we need something to be excited about. Im not worried about losing him at all and if we do it should be for money that makes Rooneys fee look like pocket change. Im going to reserve judgement until next season, see how he gets on.

4. Similar to Barkley, Rodwell received plenty of attention when he burst on the scene. Has injury and selected in different positions stunted his development? Has he stagnated? How has he started the season? Do you believe he will fulfil his potential?

Injury and being played out of position plus overwhelming attention and expectation are sure to have an impact on a young player. But he seems to have turned a new leaf in the last couple of games after an anonymous start. He can and will still come good and live up to his hype, im sure of it. If we get Felli tied down to a long term contract, the 2 of them could offer a brilliant backbone to our squad, with Barkley just in front of them. There is reason to be optimistic!

5. David Moyes is approaching his tenth anniversary as Everton manager. What are your thoughts on his ten years as a whole? What are your current thoughts? What does the future hold for him as Everton manager?

Up until this season Ive largely been of the IMWT - In Moyes We Trust - mentality but frankly, ive been left gobsmacked by some of his line ups and substitutions. I wont go into this because it really deserves an essay and im too tired!

Anyway, enjoy the game on Saturday and all the best in the games after that :)

If United provide us with the 'assumed' backlash after last week then we could be in for a torrid afternoon, however if we start well and take an early lead, anxiety may spread through your ranks. This means Moyes must start positively and exploit this and your far from strong defending at present. I don't think your defensive midfielders have been shielding your defence well so far this season. Having said that Moyes will start with one up front and hand the initiative to Man Utd. If Rooney is playing a little deeper don't be surprised to see Rodwell in close proximity and Drenthes fresh of breath air pace (if he isn't banned) may cause problems. Optimistically 2-1 for us, realistically 1-1.

A complete mixed bag with the best performances, against Villa and up to the sending off (and beyond) Liverpool yielding one point, while the worst performance against Blackburn got us three points. A more positive approach and we can know we can compete against the best albeit not on a regular occurrence, this inconsistency really costs us. We had the chance to get off to a great positive start before the current tricky run we are in but blew it, again.

It is there for all to see, however after starting the season and not looking out of place, Moyes has decided to go with the established pros, which was to be expected, but I think if Barkley had more game time he would already be flourishing. I am worried about losing him if only it is because it highlights our current fianancial predicament but of course losing another possible star is always hard to take.

Last season I said that he was our biggest under achiever but he is gradually retrieving his status as a possible star. He played well at City, man marking Villa and did a really good job until Everton had to change their game plan. He was bossing the Liverpool midfield until that ridiculous sending off. With the card rescinded he has the chance to cement his place and kick on. It is up to him now to show the real Rodwell and kick on with a repeat of his performance against Utd two seasons ago a nice start.

In the main Moyes has done well for Everton. It is well documented the Everton financial constraints he has had to work to and I believe he has achieved as much as anyone else could with that burden. This burden may well also decide his future, however he has never really complained about the lack of funds and has carried on his role admirably. Although he has broken the transfer record on a couple of occasions, usually all eggs in one basket transfer policy, it remains to be seen how he would cope if he had unlimited funds. A big frustrating thing for me about Moyes can be his negative play, especially against the 'big four/ five/ six' (depending on the current hyp). No away wins in 50 attempts at Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool is no coincidence. Marks out of ten, Moyes would get an 8 from me.

Very Worried, I get the feeling we will pay the price for Uniteds derby defeat last weekend. The optimist in me says if we get at United and try and exploit there "soft core" as the media are calling it we can come away with something, but the realist in me knows a wounded Man United is a dangerous animal. We will likely go with a 4-5-1 as this is what we do in every game, my worry is that we overload the midfield with defensive players and employ the park-the-bus mentality inviting pressure on ourselves.

Every year I hope we will start off the season like we finished the last, every year I am left dissapointed, this season is no different.

I watched him play against Villareal in pre-season in one of the first games since his triple leg break. That 60minutes was enough to convince me that lad is going to be special. Our senior players looked to be trying to give him the ball at every opportunity and despite never having played a senior game for us he seemed to have established himself as the key creative player within the team. He must be pretty special in training to have that sort of status within the squad already, to back this up Tim Cahill described him as the most talented player he had ever seen in training. His technique and physical attributes are enough to make him a top player bu twhat will take him to the next level is his vision and reading of the game, he has that ability to drift into spaces undetected and pick passes that other players just don't see.

Injury and being played out-of position, notably on the wing, has led to some people saying he is not the player we thought he would be. Arteta leaving has given him an opportunity to prove these people wrong and from what I have seen of him this season he is certainly doing that, before that moron Martin Atkinson robbed us in the derby by sending Rodwell off I thought he looked our best player. Rodwell and Felliani should be the core that we build the team around and as mentioned by Matt the prospect of these 2 and Barkley playing together gives me reason to be optimistic.

What he has done with the team on a limited budget over the last 10 years has been remarkable, the man is a legend. But I worry for the future under Moyes. We missed our opportunity to establish ourselves as one of the divisons elite 2 or 3 years ago when we had our best squad since the 80's IMO. Since then we have sold players and are left with no money and an ageing squad, fighting for our status as the best of the rest. For me we need to sell some of the older members of the squad while we can still get decent fees for them and rebuild the team around the likes of Felliani, Rodwell and Barkley. Ferguson has proved to be the master at this in the past, everytime a team has overtaken United Fergie has rebuilt (often temporarily weakening the team to do so) and come back stronger, my hope is that Moyes can emulate his fellow Scot and do the same for us.

Im worried to be honest, after the City game I really think your lot will want to hurt someone, and hurt them bad! We could be in for a real hiding. I think Moyes will play a 4-5-1 or a 4-6-0 depending on the fitness of Cahill and Saha. The only weakness I see in Uniteds team is that you take a lot of shots against you this season, most of them from distance, but we never shoot from distance (it seems Drenthe does but that might change soon enough) I wouldnt be so worried if I was a United fan.

We had an aweful first game against QPR then a few decent results from bad performances, but over the last handful of games we had been poor. We had a good result against a tough Fulham side after we went to Chelsea and played like we didn't even think we could get a draw, let alone a win. We have started the season poorly on a regular basis, so we are used to it. After we play United the fixture list gets a bit friendlier and hopefully we can crack on.

The lad has talent, but he needs games to show it and to improve, and in his best position. He is a central midfielder, looks like he has an eye for a pass, good touch and pace. He has been getting played on the wings when he has been given a chance. Hopefully he will get to play more in the centre, if Fellaini and Rodwell are behind him he should have no problems. I am worried about losing him, with our poor financial situation he could be the next cash cow the board need, it happened last time and you got yourself a hell of a player for a great price, I dont want to see it happen again.

Jack Rodwell is a gifted player, he is strong, quick, and has all the atributes required. Last season was a write off for him, but in my opinion this season he is starting to look like the player we hoped he could be. If he gets to keep playing alongside Fellaini they could become a very solid pair, but Moyes likes to throw Neville in there from time to time instead of just leaving these two to get on with it. I think Jack will fulfil the potential, in another couple of years I think you will see a very complete midfielder in him.

He has been one of the best things, he steadied the ship. I think after the job he has done he deserves a real chance, either here with a bit more backing and bring in the players he thinks we need to push on, or at another club with Champions League aspirations. If he did leave to further his career he would have my blessing (as long as he doesnt buy Leighton Baines from us).

6. Do Everton fans now think that they are getting the tag of being a feeder club with there players?

To be honest, apart from Rooney no one has gone on to impress on the world stage from what I can see. OK Lescott has done well at City (he'll be replaced soon anyway) but he wasn't home grown. Michael Ball was the last really good player we produced to go on and have a decent career, Franny Jeffers had a 'mare at Arsenal. If we lose Rodwell and Barkley then yes, we would become a feeder club. I'd agree that we are a selling club, but then I guess we have to be, our finances make the Greek economy look stable.

Edited by StevO

Despite some decent efforts against you in the last couple of seasons I fear the worst, would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in your dressing room after last weeks game (although I may well have been hit by a flying object!) You need no better incentive than that to turn in a performance and going on most of our recent performances you will be able to capitalise.

We are likely to go 4-5-1 or possibly (if Moyes is feeling adventurous) 4-4-1-1. We need to really have a go at you and put pressure on your defence to stand a chance but I just can't see it happening.

Frustrating - again. The potential of the squad has been shown on a few occasions but we are far too erratic and don't seem to be able to capitalise on our superiority when we have it. Our defence has been shakier than we have come to expect and goals are in short supply.

Barkley could well become one of the best British midfielders in years, he has all the tools, but needs game time which he not currently getting as Moyes seems to prefer experience.

Most Evertonians would love to see him get an extended run but this might not happen until injuries force Moyes' hand. I do fear he may go, either because of a cash offer that cannot be refused, or frustration on his behalf at not getting game time.

The injuries and playing out of position have certainly not helped but I would not say he has stagnated, after a quiet start he is getting back to form, there is more to come and he will get better.

On the whole he has done a decent job given the financial circumstances, he has managed to steer us away from almost perennial relegation battlers to a team that most others have some respect for. He can frustrate with some team selections and substitutions but in my mind he is nowhere near adventurous enough. Whilst playing one up front against established top teams can be excused, adopting the same tactic at home against the West Broms and the like is not acceptable.

As for the future, well he does have a chairman with total faith in him so he would be extremely long odds to get the sack, whether he stays or not is another matter.

If a club with generous financial backing that would allow him to get the better/best players came knocking then believe he would be off.

6. Do Everton fans now think that they are getting the tag of being a feeder club with their players?

Not yet, all clubs sell players that they don't necessarily want to partly because of the power players now have, but given our current financial problems we may start to see in increase in younger talent looking for greener grass.

Edited by iggy

Thank you Matt and The Beard - it really is appreciated. A forum member has asked a question: 6. Do Everton fans now think that they are getting the tag of being a feeder club with there players?

I have made my peace with being a selling club, but not a feeder club. Football is business, and it appears in the modern game only those invested in by foreign millions can afford not to be a selling club. Obviously if someone offers crazy money for a top young player we would be forced to sell but that could be said of anyone (see Cristiano Ronaldo), but I don't think we are in such a position where we are forced to sell our top young players cheaply. If being a selling club means we have to sell players in there late 20's while we can still get a decent fee for them rather than letting there contracts run down and keeping them for a few more years then thats fine, aslong as we keep producing good young players from our academy, bringing in good young players from smaller/feeder clubs, and giving them a chance in the first team then I have no problem with.

Well most of the responses have been pretty much the same and mine won't be much different but i suppose i'll chip in.

It's clearly a tough game "back lash from previous game" isn't something i'm too concerned about, they're a good side and shouldn't need to lose 6-1 in order to spank a team the next week.

We will play a 4-4-1-1, though i'm not sure who is fit after the Chelsea game, Saha and Cahill both picked up knocks, losing Saha would be disappointing as he seems to be actually looking fit and up for it on the pitch now. Cahill being out wouldn't bother many, he's been pretty ineffectial of late and while most opposition fans mention him as a player they'd fear he hasn't scored in 2011 and doesn't really look like scoring either.

Your defence seems to have been a bit of a weakness, despite having some quality players in there you've given away more shots than anyone else this season and I don't think that's just down to De Geye's tag of "struggling with long shots". This could well also be down to the lack of a real quality player in the middle at times to replace Scholes. If not suspended we need Drenthe to use his pace on the counter attack and maybe Coleman as well.

I agree with The Beard that Rodwell maybe closely watching Rooney if not actually man marking him like he did Silva.

Awful as usual! I'm glad we missed the first game of the season, the game in hand makes our position looks a lot better and I doubt we'd have got anything against Spurs.

We are however showing some sign this week of some improvement. Until the sending off we played well against the red shites and though we didn't play great a win at Craven Cottage was a great result. The Chelsea performance in the League Cup seemed decent by all accounts and we maybe should have beaten them. Whether we get anything out of United or not I'm not sure but I'll be hoping with the top sides out of the way we can start picking up some points now through Christmas and find some form a bit earlier than usual.

We (the fans) have hyped him more than anyone, he made the bench at 16 before breaking his leg and all murmurs around the club suggest he would have played last season. He has the cock sure confidence of young Rooney, looks very good on the ball and seems to have very good vision. That said he's so far only played a couple of games, his man of the match debut against QPR was the best look we've seen so far where he showed up every other Everton player on the pitch. As has been said it's clear that the other experienced players have confidence in him from the way they look for him on the pitch and talk about him off it.

I don't think he'll be leaving this season and would hope that we can certainly hang on to him long enough to see him make a real impact in the side...if he does go in the next couple of years we need to ensure we get maximum fee possible for him. Players like this don't come along often and much as Rooney's money did, a big fee for him would do our finances a much needed boost.

Rodwell was hyped really I think on the way he looked like a quality football, he seemed to have the build and physique at a young age and looked confident on the ball. The problem is neither the coaches/Moyes or Rodwell himself seem to know quite where he's best suited on the pitch. The current run of games seems to be doing him some good and he's now showing decent signs of improvement. He's starting to push forward a bit more and I think he needs to do that more if he is to show his true worth in the side.

I think he will have a decent career as a Premiership footballer, weather he will be an England regular or have top 5 clubs after him in the future, at the moment I couldn't really say.

As a whole he's done an excellent job, if you look at where we were finishing each year when he joined, our lack of stability with constant manager changes and the squad he inherited (a squad of low quality players and old has been's brought in by Walter Smith). For the first 10 years of the Premiership we were constantly fearing relegation, hard to swallow after the 10 years that came before it but now even with our financial issues getting worse each year we look like we have enough to compete.

His big downside as you'll here from many Everton fans is his stubbornness tactically to try different things and a cautiousness that can only come from a former defender on the pitch! He is often accused of having favourites who aren't up to it in the side and to an extent I agree however even Fergie often played O'Shea and a few others in the past who he liked but weren't quite up to standard. I think they are generally players he feels give the kind of passion and commitment he wants from a team such as Hibbert, Osman, Cahill and Neville.

6. Do Everton fans now think that they are getting the tag of being a feeder club with their players?

No. A selling club maybe but not a feeder club. When we let players go it has been always having our hand forced by transfer fee's that we can't turn down. I'd say a feeder club is a club that are looking to develop and sell on.

Thank you FairWooney, BoroBlue, iggy, StevO!

My Turn please? If you can push out to your forum any replies can be put in our match day thread -

Q1: If you were Moyes, what formation, key players and specific tactics would you employ to get the best result against United?

Q2: From watching Everton in any capacity, where do you identify the strengths and weaknesse of our team?

Q3: What is your opinion of Moyes?

Q4: Since his move, evaluate Rooney's development, has he lost alot of his flair? Is he a better team player?

Q5: Where do you see Everton and Man United finishing in the league this season?

Q6: What are your views on Kenwright and the ownership of the club?

Q7: If you could have one Everton player who would it be?

Thanks!

Hello all,

Here are my questions:

I find it hard to know what team to expect, which is odd considering how small our squad is, But I think Howard, Hibbert, Heitinga, Jagielka, Baines. Rodwell, Fellaini, Cahill, Neville, Saha Straquilarsi, stnds as much chance of being picked as anyother. Drenthe is already out of course.

Better start than for a few seasons, but things are starting to get a bit tough. I hope we improve soon in respect of scores. Performances are about what I expected given the lack of transfer activity.

Personally it is difficult to compare him to disimilar players, but... Better than Rooney is a phrase I have heard bandied about. We will just have to wait and see.

He is playing out of position which is a shame for a young player, but he has the talent to pull through and be what we expected of him.

Ten years, seems like yesterday he took over to me. He has achieved bugger all so far and the quality of a manager is only seen with something in the trophy cabinet. It is a results based business these days. His future as Everton manager is likely to be more of the same unless we get investment. And even then I am not sure he can cut the mustard anymore. I still think he is tactically naive.

I think Moyes will pick a familiar Everton team, which will probably include Neville somewhere. Probably a 4-5-1 with Saha up front, and maybe even Cahill. If there is a weakness in your team it is probably complacency. I think we'll be defensive and hope for a set piece goal.

We rarely start the season well, but this year is the first in many when we are lacking quality in the middle. We need to get to January without too many problems, and hope we can bolster our wafer thin squad.

We've not seen too much of him, but he does look like he is going to be a good player. Another Rooney? Maybe, who knows. Not overly concerned about losing him if the fee was right. Most Evertonians are hoping for great things.

I think Rodwell has impressed this season, and is starting to find his confidence. He is a leader, and has real qualities that will see him have a successful career, be it with us or someone else. He is still only 20. People forget that.

For me, David Moyes is Everton, just as Ferguson is United. I can't praise him highly enough, even if I don't always agree. He deserves all the credit he gets. It would be well deserved should he get some luck, and if any manager deserves a trophy, it's David Moyes.

Good luck for the match, and for the season.

I have read some of the replies on Stretford End Arising from Haf's questions. Refreshing to see well put answers from both sides without resorting to inane retorts. As previously mentioned may be worth using SAE as a regular communication outlet regarding matches agaisnt each other.

p.s Before I get a witty comment SAE, in this instance, is not a stamp addressed envelope.