IGNORED

The double edged England sword

Great to see a couple of Everton players more than holding their own against Sweden.

Baines must be a certain as 'standby' for Cole (I've assumed Cole will be preferred cos he's another of the 'in crowd').

Rodwell - still a little early to say, but for me, say bye to Lampard and Gerrard, and let give Rodwell the next 10 England games. If he's as good as he initially looks, by then, he'll have cemented his place full time.

However -

Whilst those players are already held in high regard (esp Baines), does the matter of them playing for England raise their profile and make them greater targets for other clubs?

I'm certain their stock will increase significantly and therefore command a much higher price, but still, these guys are the very best of Everton and worth hanging on to at (almost) any cost.

Of course, it would be unfair to ever stop a player from playing for their country (esp in the early days when it may be one of only a few games they ever get) but -

How do Everton fans feel about them playing for England?

Great to see a couple of Everton players more than holding their own against Sweden.

Baines must be a certain as 'standby' for Cole (I've assumed Cole will be preferred cos he's another of the 'in crowd').

Rodwell - still a little early to say, but for me, say bye to Lampard and Gerrard, and let give Rodwell the next 10 England games. If he's as good as he initially looks, by then, he'll have cemented his place full time.

However -

Whilst those players are already held in high regard (esp Baines), does the matter of them playing for England raise their profile and make them greater targets for other clubs?

I'm certain their stock will increase significantly and therefore command a much higher price, but still, these guys are the very best of Everton and worth hanging on to at (almost) any cost.

Of course, it would be unfair to ever stop a player from playing for their country (esp in the early days when it may be one of only a few games they ever get) but -

How do Everton fans feel about them playing for England?

Feel made up for them, remember though Simon Davies was valued at £25 mill after his goal against Italy for Wales in 2003 and we picked him up for a few million two years after so one good game, a class player does not make.mellow.png

Oh no I agree, but I've assumed these two in particular (esp Baines) are unlikely to make a mess of it all.

They'll just look more and more appealing now though.

Personally, I wish Capello would say "ok these two stay in, until you can shift them out with better performances" It shouldn't matter if your name is Gerrard, or Cole etc.

The other great thing, is confidence. Mixing with better players and winning can only do them good when returning to Everton (so long as they don't get their heads turned).

Lets hope they come back to Everton with a load of enthusiasm that spreads through the team. Great set of winnable games for Everton coming up, so it just might work!

I'm made up for them as with most people when I was a kid a dreamed of playing for Everton and my Country. I don't think you could ever deny any player putting on their National shirt.

I still feel Rodwell needs time to grow but I just hope that we finally start to see the back of the old guard as I'm sick to death of the same faces and drab football. In terms of his value that as with any player will fluctuate on performance.

I'd love us to be able to build around player like Jack and Ross but in our current situation and the current climate if a big offer comes in from a big club it would be hard to turn down. I just hope we secure some finances in the near future to steady the ship and keep lads like the two mentioned.

We have some cracking young players that for me would be more then ready to step it up for the Euro's.

Ashley Cole is an all round better player than Baines. Baines outperformed him last season but Cole, although a knob, is probably the best left back in the world.

Let's not get carried away with Rodwell... great performance again but he hasn't done anything yet to suggest he's England's first choice centre mid... he's on his way though!!!

I agree Rodwell isn't quite there yet, but in my mind, Lamps and Gerrard have passed their peak... so we're faced with a choice of carrying on with the old guard, or bringing in the new (possible taking a small step back, but knowing you'll be two steps ahead a lot sooner by bringing in new blood).

For me, Rodwell is precisely the type of player who's strong and talented and still young enough to be a potential replacement, so bring him in and give him 10 games.

I think we cling on to old players for far too long.

Cole is trickier, I agree. Baines for me would still make an ideal replacement if he gets injured, or Capello wants to keep a bit of competition going.

I agree with Avinalaff on the turning heads - it's good and it's bad. Up their game, but at the same time they're talking with other players who are harping on this and that - and next thing you know... "wanted by Chelsea, or City, or United etc"

On the plus side though - they can see that they don't NEED to join those teams to get internationals caps (and argument sometimes used). They are already getting them playing for Everton! - so they DO get noticed!

And maybe, just maybe having those two guys there, MIGHT just attract other players too. Instead of thinking "I need to go to another club to further my international chances, now they can see it happening at Everton!"

Makes for a bit of excitement whichever way it's going to pan out! ;-)

I agree with Avinalaff on the turning heads - it's good and it's bad. Up their game, but at the same time they're talking with other players who are harping on this and that - and next thing you know... "wanted by Chelsea, or City, or United etc"

On the plus side though - they can see that they don't NEED to join those teams to get internationals caps (and argument sometimes used). They are already getting them playing for Everton! - so they DO get noticed!

And maybe, just maybe having those two guys there, MIGHT just attract other players too. Instead of thinking "I need to go to another club to further my international chances, now they can see it happening at Everton!"

Makes for a bit of excitement whichever way it's going to pan out! ;-)

Quite a few of the England team won the attention of the selectors while at Everton. It shows just what a good spotter of talent on a small budget Moyes is.

I can actually see Rodwell playing for United in the future I'd love to be wrong but as previously said money matters to most these days.

I think both Rodwell and Wilshire are the future of Englands Midfield and both will be better then their predecessors. If you look across the board at what we have at our disposal in terms of up and coming talent and versatility and varying styles we "could" have a very bright future.

It won't be long before we see an emergence of youngsters I think I'd also put frimpong who was tipped to be bigger then Wilshire in the mix for a future England Midfield spot.

It's only a matter of time before Rodwell leaves now he's played for England. The stories of him leaving for big money had completely disappeared and now they're back. The press have returned to getting him out of Everton.

Having the England squad comprising of players being pampered at the "top" clubs has obviously worked in the past, what with all the tournaments England have won over the years, so why not just repeat the process eh? rolleyes.gif

It's funny, we're playing shite and suddenly we have three players in the England team!! Not often that happens! I think it's great, yeah it means all the rumours about Rodwell in particular will start all over again, but hopefully he will come back full of confidence and start turning his talent into the kind of form that will kick start our season. Him and Felli should be one of the most exciting young midfield pairings in the Prem, and if they play to their potential they should only be leaving for stupid money.

were getting ahead of ourselves here imo, only because what i see of rodwell before the intl break, was a player looking a little more confident but at the same time still passes the ball like a hot potato, i feel he also thinks somethings right behind him when he has time to turn and look up, i also feel his control is quite sloppy and that his awareness needs A LOT of working on.

When he played int he intl games, he got that second half agaisnt spain were he did actually look quite good, but for long periods he wasnt being asked to play but more to defend, and the sweden match for me he did ok, nothing over the top, yes got in some decent positions but should really have scored with that header.

Overall he is still only a "prospect" i wouldnt get too carried away, if cleverley was fit i don't think we would have seen Rodwell in the team, i'm not trying to come over as a hater but more of a realiist. He has a lot of work to do before he gets even close to a good midfielder, and the papers can tout ridiculous prices because afterall, they havent got a bleedin clue anyway. Its the teams that pay the 30 mils not the papers.

I think his close control is excellent. There was a moment in the game against Sweden when surrounded, he got the ball down, used strength and passed to man in space.

So much more to come from him. I thought he had lost his bottle, he has rediscovered his form and looks on the way to getting to where we want him.

were getting ahead of ourselves here imo, only because what i see of rodwell before the intl break, was a player looking a little more confident but at the same time still passes the ball like a hot potato, i feel he also thinks somethings right behind him when he has time to turn and look up, i also feel his control is quite sloppy and that his awareness needs A LOT of working on.

as of a couple of weeks back Jack had the highest pass completion rate of any of our players at i think 88%

so i cant agree with your post