IGNORED

Baines starts tonight

MikeO

England need to get the youth playing and there is nothing to lose so why we are playing Gerrard is beyond me. I'd rate Frank Lampard higher than him and I'd actually welcome him into midfield for tonight.

Hard game ahead of us as I rate the Dutch highly - does Heitinga start for them?

That Sturridge is the mustard! Wish we'd have at least had him on loan!

Thought he was appalling personally, lost the ball so many times i lost count, and lost it cheaply for their first goal, which left Baines and a few others out of position, not to mention the miss!

Overall, thought the midfield was non existent for most of the game, thought parker looked a bit dodgy at times, wouldnt have known Young was playing apart from his goal, great finish though. Milner did nothing, Downing is just generally a really, really average player...at best.

Defence did okay, couldnt really do much about their goals, dont understand the Jones to RB and Richards CB scenario, but hey ho. And upfront, Welbeck didnt really get a sniff, Sturridge had a few efforts, and should have buried the "Cross" from Baines. Dont think Campbell touched it did he?

The 2 late goals masked a really poor performance IMO

Thought he was appalling personally, lost the ball so many times i lost count, and lost it cheaply for their first goal, which left Baines and a few others out of position, not to mention the miss!

He was the only player on that pitch who showed any attacking intent, and instantly made a difference when he came on, and wasn't he MOTM?

He was the only player on that pitch who showed any attacking intent, and instantly made a difference when he came on, and wasn't he MOTM?

Dont think he made any difference when he came on? he had a couple of shots, but thats it. He missed a sitter and lost the ball cheaply for their first goal. Apart from that, what did he do? i know he was MOTM, i dont know how, but he was.

I was bored shitless for most of it tbh and lost interest very quickly.

I feel that happens an awful lot whilst watching England... Everton did the same for the first half of the season - They had nothing to make me get out of my seat.

I feel that happens an awful lot whilst watching England... Everton did the same for the first half of the season - They had nothing to make me get out of my seat.

England seem to 'ease' their way into games and it's really boring to watch. I find that they will pass it along the back 4 waiting for a space to open before rolling the ball into it for someone to pick it up, that player will then do a lovely little turn before rolling the ball to his mate who will lay it back to the defenders due to being under the slightest bit of pressure and the whole circle starts again. It's a poor tactic IMO and it's really dull to watch.

England should use the pace of the Premier League to beat International opponants IMO.

England should use the pace of the Premier League to beat International opponants IMO.

I have always thought this. The reason Premier League teams have always done so well in Europe (bar this year) is because of the tempo at which we play in attack and defence. With the El Classico matches aside, no other european game I have seen play above walking pace and their players arent used to it. For some reason we try and beat the continental players at their own brand of football.

With regards to the performance, I wasnt exactly impressed either. Welbeck was probably the pick for me as he worked tirelessly and got very little help from those around him. Wasnt overly impressed with Baines either, he really needs to close down quicker and stop the ball getting into the box. Part at fault for two of the goals imo.

Final thought is that I am glad Pearce has rules himself out of the running. He seemed to pick up the round peg and square holes mentality and copy how certain managers use their players (ie Sturridge out wide & Richards moving to CB when City chase a goal). You would have thought he would be desperate to show what he can bring to the table.

I'm not convinced that you can win in international football just by playing a fast paced game. The other teams are too good for that. A team like Spain can quite easily deal with it by just keeping possession. They don't need to play above walking pace if they've got the ball.

But in any case the reason England don't play like this is because the players are so knackered at the end of the season, when the tournaments are. From the tempo of the games they've been playing all season in the Premier League ...

gerrard tonight wasnt interested,still sulking over the captaincy,looking at his face coming out looked like if he smiled his face would fall apart,if id been manager he would have been off after 10 mins,he will probably say his groin was twinged.

his body language was terrible.

Liverpool's Steven Gerrard came off as a precaution with a tight hamstring.
close!