IGNORED

Petrov Diagnosed with Leukaemia

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17566188

Aston Villa captain Stiliyan Petrov has acute leukaemia

Aston Villa captain Stiliyan Petrov has been diagnosed with acute leukaemia, the West Midlands club have announced.

The condition was diagnosed following tests after the Bulgaria international, 32, developed a fever following Saturday's 3-0 defeat at Arsenal.

"We expect to learn more about the situation in due course," Villa said.

WHAT IS LEUKAEMIA?

Leukaemia is cancer of the white blood cells. Symptoms include pale skin, tiredness, breathlessness and susceptibility to infection. Acute leukaemia means that the condition progresses rapidly and aggressively and requires immediate treatment

"Stiliyan is cherished by many and he will get from Villa every ounce of love and support that we have to help bring this to a positive conclusion."

A club statement added: "During this time we ask that Stiliyan's privacy is placed ahead of all inquiries and trust that we will share information as we receive it."

Petrov joined Villa from Celtic for £6.5m in 2006 and has scored 13 goals in 219 appearances.

He played the full 90 minutes at Emirates Stadium on Saturday, his 30th game of the season.

Shay Given, Villa's goalkeeper, wrote on Twitter: "In shock about Stiliyan Petrov acute leukaemia but we are all here for him and his family.

STILIYAN PETROV

• Signed for Aston Villa in August 2006 in a £6.5m move from Celtic, becoming then-boss Martin O'Neill's first buy at the club.
  • Has since made 218 appearances for the club, scoring nine goals.
  • Made captain in the 2008-9 campaign, leading the team out at Wembley twice.
  • During his time at Parkhead he made 288 appearances, scoring 64 goals, winning four Scottish titles.
  • Has won more 100 caps for Bulgaria.

"Please God he makes a full recovery #prayforstan."

Villa midfielder Jermaine Jenas tweeted: "Just saw the news about Stan Petrov one of the nicest guys in football! Thoughts with him and his lovely family."

"Absolutely inconsolable here regarding Stiliyan," Celtic manager Neil Lennon posted.

"He will overcome this like all the other barriers he faced in his life.

"Stiliyan has the heart of a lion and as part of the Celtic family he deserves all our best wishes and support."

Former Villa midfielder Ian Taylor tweeted: "Terrible news re Stiliyan Petrov illness. Our best wishes go out to him and his family.

"Praying he can make a full recovery #getwellstiliyan."

Thoughts are with him and his family.

There are some types of leukemia that are more nasty than others, although all are pretty dreadful. Acute Myloid Leukemia is very hard to cure. It is what my mother contracted and it killed her. (Bless her)

If he has that form, the signs are far from good I am afraid. It takes a lot of luck to get that one sorted, especially if he has a rare blood type.

My thoughts are with him and his loved ones. I understand what they are going through.

Used to actually follow Celtic a lot when I was younger and he was one of my favourite players when he was up in Scotland. I wish him all the best and hope he can pull through like Fabrice Muamba and make a full recovery.

Thoughts with the friends, family and everyone at Aston Villa Football Club.

• 4 months later...