IGNORED

Norwich (away)

Finn balor

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

next season we can judge how good they are...plenty of teams have been 1 season wonders

This...many teams every season do the same thing as said irrespective of their position. It's a difference in opinion I would just never consider Carrow Road a place We should be happy to come away from with a point!!

Plus I didn't say they are talentless I said a poor side in My opinion which to Me they are.

If you stick to your guns well and man mark Holt and cut off the long ball's You have basically nullified 99% of the threat they pose. The only reason We drew the game was due to poor selection and performance in regards to the two CB's.

Edited by EFC-Paul

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they did fall away somewhat next season and it will be much closer to the relegation places this time next year than they are now, which incidentally, getting a point today takes them to the '40 point safety mark',, so it looks as though this season has been a success at least in terms of a premier league season when many people had them down as relegation material back in August.

I don't care what people say but they have done well this season and been difficult to beat sometimes, there was 27000 people in attendance today. which given is the usual crowd at their stadium, that's not a bad turnout and I did think today was going to be difficult to get a victory and so it proved, although we maybe could have won in the end but the result will stand.

It's just as well they are safe now as look at their remaining fixtures -

Spurs, Manchester City, Blackburn, the Shite, Arsenal and then Aston Villa on the last weekend, they've got some tough games coming up for sure.

Well, for the first half of the first half I thought we played quite well and looked the better side without really bothering them all that much. After that though I thought we were pretty crap, and particularly for the whole of the second half. And the defence? Oh dear, that was horrendous and looked extremely porous, with Jags looking absolutely terrible.

That's about all there is to say about this game, and a draw ws probably the fair result and the result I expected before the game after seeing the starting 11.

Howard - Made a couple of good saves.

Hibbert - I thought he was caught out of position too many times which probably is a part of why Jags was all over the place; he was having to come across to cover for Hibbert.

Jagielka - Terrible, there's no other way to describe his performance. He looked so dodgy all game long. I thought he was badly at fault for their first equaliser and played a major role in the build up to their second equaliser by not having a clue where Wilbraham was. He's not giving Moyes anything to think about in regards to who plays CB with Distin for the semi-final, Heitinga is a shoe in. Did well to set up Jelavic's first.

Distin - Worked hard against Holt but looked very uncomfortable alongside Jags.

Baines - Looked good when we were on top in the game but other than that was very subdued; maybe due to the early booking?

Gueye - Never made an impression on the game.

Neville - Didn't really do much of anything either did he? Gibson was doing all the donkey work.

Gibson - He doesn't do anything special but he does what's needed and that's what he did today. He did well to shield the defence as much as possible, took the ball off the defence, sprayed the ball about... He's one who didn't put a foot wrong all game.

Pienaar - Started the game extremely well, IMO, and looked very busy trying to make things happen but once Norwich got into the game he disappeared a bit. He got an assist for Jelavic's second though.

Cahill - Was he playing? Because he did absolutely nothing.

Jelavic - I wish he'd stayed on his feet a bit more because he went down a bit too easily at times, but his all round play was head and shoulders above anything we've seen upfront for us for a long time. His link-up play today was brilliant, his control was so good as well, and fuck me, the fella can score. Two absolutely quality finishes from him. My MOTM.

Piss poor defending for both the goals and we can't expect anything more than a point today against an opponant that are clearly inferior to us. We should have played them off the park and 2 goals should have secured the win. I'm really impressed with Jelly's performance and it makes me so happy that we have finally got a decent striker on our books, it's just frustrating that the back four have slipped up and allowed us to come away from Carrow Road with less than maximum points - we should have put these boys out of sight today.

Distin got caught ball watching on both goals - will take that point with the clean bill of health and no red cards!!!

That is one of the positives that we can take from today C. Does anyone know why Heitinga wasn't playing today (hope he's alright for the semi), Liverpool seem to be a shadow of themselves on MOTD but they have been all over Villa today, Suarez has hit the post a few times and the likes of Gerrard and Kuyt look dangerous going forward - for all they are in the shit we need to bring our 'A' game to Wembley.

On a positive note I'm not shaking in my boots about Doni.

Heitinga was rested I'd imagine... it'll be jags/Heit vs Sunderland then Heit/Distin vs that lot.

Suits me.

I was just worried that Heitinga was out because IMO that would be a bit blow to our FA Cup Final chances. I'd be confident with a Jags/Heitinga combination because Johnny could keep Jagielka in check and stop him from drifting away from the Sunderland attackers, it also makes me happy because for both Norwich goals today Sylvain was at fault.

Nice to see Hibbert has his shooting boots on ready for the Semi too!

god could you imagine....90th minute winner from hibbo in the semi's...the place would fuckin erupt!

Haha it's giving me goosebumps thinking about it! I'd be on that pitch licking his boots before you could say 'Alex curran's a sweat!'.

I've just realised he's eligible for a testimonial...hope he gets one while he's still playing, it'd be a semi final esq scramble for tickets!

Edited by Eddie_1938

I've just realised he's eligible for a testimonial...hope he gets one while he's still playing, it'd be a semi final esq scramble for tickets!

It's already being planned, there were a few threads about it earlier in the season. I for one will be going because I think he's been a fantastic servant to the club and is due a bloody goal (I hope they do what they did for Carragher and give us a dodgy penalty so that he can score).

Jagielka needs someone holding his hand these days so if that's the CB pairing Sunderland will be in with a good chance of finally beating us.

This is why we need to be playing Heitinga alongside Jagielka so that Johnny can keep him in line and stop him from cocking up at the back. If someone like Distin or Duffy were to pair up with him then I'd fully expect us to lose against Sunderland (something which I woulden't be happy about).

How does one get to start a matchday thread, is there like a queue or put names forward, or just first one to make an attempt etc

Any help would maybe be appreciated, and if there's a semi final soon and everyone here is at the game that day, then there won't be a match day thread for it then?

How does one get to start a matchday thread, is there like a queue or put names forward, or just first one to make an attempt etc

Any help would maybe be appreciated, and if there's a semi final soon and everyone here is at the game that day, then there won't be a match day thread for it then?

Just go for it... there's no Sunderland thread less than 24hrs before - it's all yours.

Also they'll be loads of people in here for the semi I'd imagine - I may pop on via my phone if I can get enough signal in wembley.

Why is it that Jags is getting all the criticism on here? I agree he was pretty poor but so was Distin and I would say Distin was at fault for both goals yet he seems to be exempt from the worst of it. Heitinga should be playing no doubt but I think calls for young Duffy to be picked ahead of Jags are a bit ridiculous, the previous 2 clean sheets seem to have been forgotten quickly. I think not having the regular duo of Gibson and Felliani shielding the defence made things more difficult as Jags does have a tendancy to get drawn out of defence when players are allowed space in front of him and Distin doesn't seem to be alert to the danger. I would personally like to see Jags and Heitinga as the first choice duo, I think Heitinga could be the perfect partner for Jags as his positioning and reading of the game are as good as I have seen, which is where Jags is a bit lacking at times.

Edited by BoroBlue

Jags only featured in one of those last two games mentioned the other was the better pairing in Heitinga and Distin.

I agree Distin had a poor game yesterday regarding the goals from what we are use to from him but Jags has been poor for the most part where as Distin has been one of our most consistant and solid players this season.

It's been proven that Jags does not work with Distin and why should Heitinga sheppard him and hold his hand when we have a very solid pairing in the previously mentioned where no hand holding is needed.

It's tactical stupidity to break up a proven back two for one that either way is/would be shakey.

The calls for Duffy are just in my opinion as sadly Jags has not been the player of old and Duffy has shown alot of promise when given the chance. A player should play if he is proving himself worthy to do so and he has rarely done that.

I agree that the partnership doesn't work but I think the blame for that falls on both of them not just Jags, completely agree with you though marco they are both quality defenders that just don't work as a partnership, and in the end that is the most important thing.

Paul I should have specified I meant the previous 2 league games against Swansea and WBA both of which Jags played and both of which we were solid and kept a clean sheet.

The reason I am suggesting Jags and Heits in a partnership is because they would compliment each other very well, not so Heitinga can hold Jags hand.

Jags is great at coming out of defence to cut out attacks and making last ditch tackles and interceptions as well as being physically imposing, but he is too easily drawn out of position and prone to the odd mistake due to his put everything on the line style.

Heitinga is a very calming influence with great positional awareness and reading of the game aswell as being a real ball-playing defender, his weaknesses are much less obvious than Jags but if I were really looking I would say he is small for a centreback (although his timing seems to largely make up for this) and his positional discpline does allow players in the hole space to hurt us (although Felliani and Gibson do a great job of closing this space).

I would also like to see Jags and Heitinga paired together as Distin surely can't keep playing at this level for too much longer. It also seems a waste to have one of them sat on the bench so if they can't play together I would rather see one of them sold to raise funds for more pressing areas, like thw wide midfield positions.

yup, 1st come 1st serve. You could open it sooner by doing our "talking with the enemy" thing and starting the thread with the responses you get.