Norwich (away)

Finn balor

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest blueboy122

"All you ever do is look at the next game"

Apart from when the next game's Liverpool and there's a cup game afterhuh.png ?

And he gets quite cross with being asked about the semi.

Quite rightly in my opinion. Its a semi final not a final. If we go out the cup and newcastle become catchable and we dont catch them by a point or two come the end of the season then these premier league games will prove pivitol. If it was a final them I am all for it, go for broke etc but we arent at the final.... just yet.

You'd think it was a Final though wouldn't you, being played at Wembley staduim and all, ah what's the use in arguing it, I just feel it's inappropriate for that stage of the competition. dry.png

Someone mentioned we won't be eligible for Europe unless we reach the Final or even win this competition, but someone pointed out after the Sunderland result, by already reaching the last four we have earned a euro berth already ? So where do we really stand on this.

I still think getting into Europe via the League seems a long shot, but why not try nonetheless, and our best hope of European soccer next season lies with what we do in our next two Cup fixtures, unless of course we have already qualified? It seems not maybe, but I had to ask.

Hmm, don't quote me because I don't know for sure but;

I think to get into Europe via the FA Cup then we have to reach the final. But (and I really don't want this to be a reality) if Liverpool were to win the FA Cup then they would simply just win the cup having already been put into Europe via the Carling Cup win. I believe that should this happen then the teams that made the semi (or maybe the one that did the better out of the two losers) takes the place in Europe.

I've no idea but I'm pretty sure that to guarentee Europe we need to beat Liverpool at Wembley or somehow catch Newcastle up. I'm 100% certain that FA Cup finalists get into Europe though as that's how Millwall did it when they got beat by Manchester United.

Hmm, don't quote me because I don't know for sure but;

I think to get into Europe via the FA Cup then we have to reach the final. But (and I really don't want this to be a reality) if Liverpool were to win the FA Cup then they would simply just win the cup having already been put into Europe via the Carling Cup win. I believe that should this happen then the teams that made the semi (or maybe the one that did the better out of the two losers) takes the place in Europe.

I've no idea but I'm pretty sure that to guarentee Europe we need to beat Liverpool at Wembley or somehow catch Newcastle up. I'm 100% certain that FA Cup finalists get into Europe though as that's how Millwall did it when they got beat by Manchester United.

This has been explained elsewhere... the runner-up will only go into europe if the winner achieves a champs league pos - otherwise it goes to league. So we need to get to the final then either win it or lose to whoever gets champs league pos out of chelsea or spurs.

I believe that should this happen then the teams that made the semi (or maybe the one that did the better out of the two losers) takes the place in Europe.

But your belief is based on nothing more than hopeunsure.png .

Losing a semi-final has never been a way to get into Europe and it never will.

Seventh won't be good enough (under any but the most far fetched of run-in results) because to get seventh we'll have to finish above Liverpool....and for seventh to be a Euro spot Liverpool would need to finish in the top six...so impossible.

It's purely and simply down to what Carl said in the above post.

Guest blueboy122

To be honest I think its a load of shite going into Europe through domestic cups. Teams could simply ddraw virtually every game of the season with the odd win, put all focus on the fa cup finish as runners up and still have just as good a season as the team who finishes fifth and slogs thier guts out for 38 premier league matches.

To be honest I think its a load of shite going into Europe through domestic cups. Teams could simply ddraw virtually every game of the season with the odd win, put all focus on the fa cup finish as runners up and still have just as good a season as the team who finishes fifth and slogs thier guts out for 38 premier league matches.

But it gives smaller teams and incentive to actually try in the cup other than the fact that they will win silverware.

I think we should consider giving a champions league chance to whoever wins the FA cup and if the winner has already gained it through their league position then the runner up can get a Europa League place

Guest blueboy122

But it gives smaller teams and incentive to actually try in the cup other than the fact that they will win silverware.

I think we should consider giving a champions league chance to whoever wins the FA cup and if the winner has already gained it through their league position then the runner up can get a Europa League place

No way, look at our run for example we have had relativley easy draws in the cup this season our hardest opposition that we could play are probably spurs if we progress. It would be a joke if they gave a champions league place to a team that has had to play 2 hard games like in our situation (Liverpool, Spurs/Chelsea)

Guest blueboy122

The whole reason as to why its the top 4 that go into CL is that they are the 4 best teams in England over the season. CL is a huge reward for any team but if anyone could gain entry into this competition through domestic cups, it would cheapen the whole prestige and history of the competition and the CL would turn into more of a micky mouse cup.

The fact that it's not just the Champions in the Champions League already cheapens it.

I do agree that the winners of the FA Cup shouldn't get a Champions League spot. Portsmouth won it not long ago, could you imagine them beingg in it?!

Edited by Romey 1878

The fact that it's not just the Champions in the Champions League already cheapens it.

I do agree that the winners of the FA Cup shouldn't get a Champions League spot. Portsmouth won it not long ago, could you imagine them beingg in it?!

It would probably make the competition more competitive though - utd put their ressies out against us in the last semi, something many others have been guilty of. Not saying it should happen but I think it would bring an end to this.

I'd love the cup winners cup to come back with 2 teams from each country, the champions league to be just a league winners comp and Europa to have 2-4th from each country. Champs league could be 4 groups of say 6 who play h/a and top 2 from each go into the quarters etc.

Howard, Hibbert, Baines, Jagielka, Distin, Gibson, Cahill, Neville, Gueye, Pienaar, Jelavic

sad.pngNev in midfield.

Dodgiest central defence pairing.

No Ossie/Felli.

Can't see that eleven winning personally....might need help from the bench.

Howard, Hibbert, Baines, Jagielka, Distin, Gibson, Cahill, Neville, Gueye, Pienaar, Jelavic

sad.pngNev in midfield.

Dodgiest central defence pairing.

No Ossie/Felli.

Can't see that eleven winning personally....might need help from the bench.

I'm glad we're resting some very important palyers in Johnny, Ossie and Felli. The team we've put out should still be able to beat Norwich. COYB COYBs[1].gif