IGNORED

The Refereeing Thread

Felt we needed an actual thread to discuss when bad things go wrong with the officials in football (which sadly is quite often). As recent events have shown the standard of refereeing is in decline (Young against QPR, Chelsea's goals against Wigan) and it's sad to see because teams are being penalised for not breaking the rules and as a result some teams are gaining advantages from poor decisions.

It's been a while since I've seen the referee's doing so badly, it's becoming a joke.

Edited by Zoo

It's not right...

At the end of the day, appeals boards should 'do the right thing'.

That QPR defender against Utd was shafted. So the ref got it wrong - so be it, but that lad should't suffer because of that (or QPR)

Balotelli should be banned for his awful attempt to maim someone.

I can JUST about cope with refs making some lousy decisions - the game's quick, it happens, but when folks KNOW a player has cheated with a blatant dive, or didn't commit a foul... it's just not right. If a 'wrong' can be righted in any way, it should be.

Shaun Derry strokes Ashley Young's rib cage - 3 match ban.

Mario Balotelli almost takes a season out of Alex Song's career by breaking his leg - No action taken.

Shocking and disgusting. Saw the first half of the Shite's match today as well, saw Flanagan's second tackle, stonewall yellow card. If he hadn't already been booked, the referee would have given him a yellow, fact. So why didn't he show the second yellow? Bunch of bottling cunts, all of them.

I also heard there was a case for Jones to see red as well. So much for that conspiracy eh Kenny? Remember last time Kenny started whinging about biased referees before a derby?

Shaun Derry strokes Ashley Young's rib cage - 3 match ban.

Mario Balotelli almost takes a season out of Alex Song's career by breaking his leg - No action taken.

Shocking and disgusting. Saw the first half of the Shite's match today as well, saw Flanagan's second tackle, stonewall yellow card. If he hadn't already been booked, the referee would have given him a yellow, fact. So why didn't he show the second yellow? Bunch of bottling cunts, all of them.

I also heard there was a case for Jones to see red as well. So much for that conspiracy eh Kenny? Remember last time Kenny started whinging about biased referees before a derby?

1 match...professional foul

on the point of mental mario...can atkinson be punished now? the fa can't touch balotelli cos atkinson says he saw the incident and dealt with it as he saw fit(by doing nothing)..and it's blatant action should have been taken so can the fa now do atkinson for bein shit cos they can see it should be a red?

The First Chelsea goal was pathetic as well, how far offside does he have to be? I have a little sympathy with the Second though as there is a lot of bodies in the way and it is nowhere near as clear cut as the 1st.

1st goal:

http://www.101greatg...ea-1-0-v-wigan/

2nd:

http://www.101greatg...n-mata-v-wigan/

Edited by GoodisonRoad

HOW DARE YOU QUESTION MANCHESTER UNITED!!! shaking fist.png THEY NEVER CHEAT AND EVERY DECISION THATS MADE IS TRUE!!!

From my perspective the Young offiside incident was far worse than the Ivanovic one, in my opinion, a lot worse...and that linesman should have lost his license, let alone a stand down!?

I see Clive Thomas has criticised refereeing standards.... Blimey

nice little piece on him here:

The lifetime achievement award goes, with the usual lack of originality, to dear old Clive Thomas, who’s still dining out on the controversy he seemed to enjoy creating. In 1981 he gifted Wolves a penalty in the FA Cup semi-final after Kenny Hibbitt had fallen over Glenn Hoddle’s leg: “If I had a chance to relive those moments I would not now give the penalty,” Thomas said later. He wasn’t allowed anywhere near the replay, which thankfully Tottenham won.

In the same year, he allowed a Liverpool goal in the League Cup final after Alan Kennedy’s shot had pass­ed over Sammy Lee lying in an off­side position. West Ham manager John Ly­all was reported to the FA for making a reference to cheating.

In the 1978 World Cup finals, Thomas famously blew the final whistle a fraction of a second be­fore Zico’s win­ning header hit the net, a remarkably accurate piece of timekeeping (only eight seconds of injury time). The thought raised its unworthy head that Clive was punishing the Brazilians for time-wasting and FIFA seem to have agreed – he didn’t referee another game in the finals.

But his masterpiece had been put together a year earlier, when he disallowed Everton’s win­ning goal in the FA Cup semi-final. He didn’t help his cause by not explaining why immediately after the match: “Watch TV tonight,” he said, “you’ll see it then.” Well, we did, and we didn’t. Linesman Colin Seel was already on his way back to the half way line “satisfied with the goal”, and Emlyn Hughes is still chuckling about it today. Like West Ham, Everton­erton were beaten in the replay.

Liverpool got yet another helping hand in a League Cup final when Alan Robinson didn’t see Alan Hansen putting palm to ball in the penalty area in 1984. Again, Everton lost the replay.

I see Clive Thomas has criticised refereeing standards.... Blimey

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

he's thicker than a whale sandwich and blinder than a bat with cataracts...how the fuck he can even say anythin ever about anythin is beyond me...twat...wasn't even born when it happened but it still pisses me off...my dad says he's up there with clatters and poll

me dad was talkin to one of the centre halves on the radio and off air me dad said to him do you think it was a goal...and the chap said of course i did we all did...you can even see me walking back towards the halfway line...why does it never go the other way? i can't remember 1 decision that has gone our way..i'd like to think it's cos i'm blind to it but my koppite mates can't either

I feel for Derry, there was minimal contact and like I've always said Ashley Young is a cheeky little diving cunt and always has been. As for Chelsea it's laughable what went on, about four players were offside when the ball was looped over and I can understand why Wigan Athletic were annoyed, it's cost them the game and could well play a vital role in them being relegated.

Shocking. And what pisses me off more is that the FA won't come out in public and explain these decisions that the referee's are making.

not four players..ivanovic is offside...and maybe drogba...other two are nowhere near off the guy on the far side is playing them on...mata is hardly miles offside either...first time i've seen them...i'm amazed at the fuss that has been made of them as i have seen far worse decisions

This. Invanovic was offside but nowhere near as bad as some, like when Drenthe (4 yards onside) has his goal disallowed...weird.

Last game of the season to utd always sticks in my head, they were picking the trophy up at Goodison and we were winning 1-0. They got a free kick when Unsworth slides in and puts the ball out for a throw in, no idea how a free kick was given but it was and Beckham scored a beauty, then they got a pen where RVN walks into Stubbs. Just so blatant the FA/referee wanted a utd win.

Off the top of my head in derby games alone.

Gary Mac - free kick

Hutchinson backside goal

Anelka - about 4 yards offside last min equaliser (would have been our 1st win at Anfield in a long time)

Gerrard on Gary Naysmith

Kuyt - flying kick

Clattenberg violent.gif

Rodwell - red

What ever the linesman has jus flagged for in the Wigan game, it was a corner so it weren't for offside.

They had a goal disallowed today because Gary Caldwell fouled David de Gea. It was strange however as it's been reported that none of the Manchester United players appealed for the decision and the referee (O'Dowd I believe) initially gave the goal.

They had a goal disallowed today because Gary Caldwell fouled David de Gea. It was strange however as it's been reported that none of the Manchester United players appealed for the decision and the referee (O'Dowd I believe) initially gave the goal.

Didn't look like a foul to me, I'll have to see it again on MOTD.

Don't tell me there's a MOTD tonight, i.e. don't buy TV guides, don't look at listings, If I was unaware then so be it.

Wouldn't be a surprise though, what was there today, one or two EPL fixtures but the BBC feels that is sufficient to put on a broadcast because of it.

I don't take much interest in other teams outside of Everton in my defense.

Damn it, saw that and had a look and Wigan have beaten MUFC, I was quite surprised, well done to all involved in that.

Just confirmed it on the OS, it must have been tonight up there for them as it was for us back in 2005 when we had a shock win over MUFC late in the season, the home fans must have been well pleased with this.

This could prove irrelevant at the end of season as United look favorites already for the championship, but whatever people say I want MCFC to win it in the end, but despite tonight, I think that opportunity has passed for this season. sad.png