IGNORED

FA approach Hodgson

let put it this way; we - the public (ie the media, because they represent us apparently - dont get me started) wanted an english manager. there are no amazing english managers. Redknapp was over hyped because his team was higher up than any other team managed by an englishman and Hodgeson did a wonderful job over the park that people judge him for. Either way, both are not what the press make them out to be. Both are average and thats a fair reflection of the FA and english football in general.

Forgive me if thats all nonsense, im enjoying a nice 14 yr old Oban :)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nikica

let put it this way; we - the public (ie the media, because they represent us apparently - dont get me started) wanted an english manager. there are no amazing english managers. Redknapp was over hyped because his team was higher up than any other team managed by an englishman and Hodgeson did a wonderful job over the park that people judge him for. Either way, both are not what the press make them out to be. Both are average and thats a fair reflection of the FA and english football in general.

Forgive me if thats all nonsense, im enjoying a nice 14 yr old Oban smile.png

Pretty much agree, as my posts would suggest.

I do like Hodgson though, seems a good fella. I heard about how the Sun reacted to the news - vile. The guy has done nothing wrong.

Edited by Nikica

english manager wise they are the top of the class..and hodgson works with what he has..with more class at his disposal he might do a better job...as long as the country doesn't have stupid expectations like liverpool did although i fear that is where he will fall

Pretty much agree, as my posts would suggest.

I do like Hodgson though, seems a good fella. I heard about how the Sun reacted to the news - vile. The guy has done nothing wrong.

agree, should be treated as a hero for what he accomplished at Anfield.

Marco - yes they are top of their class. Sad isnt it....

Guest Nikica

english manager wise they are the top of the class..and hodgson works with what he has..with more class at his disposal he might do a better job...as long as the country doesn't have stupid expectations like liverpool did although i fear that is where he will fall

I agree they don't have anywhere near the quality of player to succeed at international level - but what would be wrong with maximising your abilities by trying to get in Hiddink, Van Gaal, Bielsa etc? Did they even try.

Most of these guys are all in big jobs but still - if the FA approached them and made it look enticing it could have happened. Contracts can be worked around as well.

Guest Nikica

too many egos without actually being good is englands problem...the only chance we'll get to win anythin is when these egos go

True, but a coach can make a huge difference.

England are shite - but they can give themselves more chance of not being shite by getting in the right guy.

True, but a coach can make a huge difference.

England are shite - but they can give themselves more chance of not being shite by getting in the right guy.

were not shite, were average. Which is more depressing because average allows most people to think we have a chance. The team gives us false hope each time. at least if your shite youre not expected to do anything...

The time of egos is nearly over, or at least wont be as dominant. Cole, Terry, Lampard, Ferdinand..... We have good youth just under the surface, seemingly decent guys. 2016, thats something we have a shot at.

Edited by Matt

Guest Nikica

capello was meant to be like that...i just think an english manager will get more time...and in that time these egos may fuck off and let the new blood come in

True, but other managers have a more progressive style than Capello. I don't think the young players are up to much either tbh.

were not shite, were average. Which is more depressing because average allows most people to think we have a chance. The team gives us false hope each time. at least if your shite youre not expected to do anything...

The time of egos is nearly over, or at least wont be as dominant. Cole, Terry, Lampard, Ferdinand..... We have good youth just under the surface, seemingly decent guys. 2016, thats something we have a shot at.

By shite, I mean relatively speaking. being average shouldn't allow people to think you can do anything either.

Never been a fan of any of the three chavs players, big fan of Rio as a player though (seems like a tosser to be fair). Not a fan of Gerrard or Rooney either tbh, although they're very good players the way the English media treats the two of them has me in stitches.

This will be a popular view on here, but from 2002-2009 I ranted to anyone who would listen that Gerrard was the most overrated player I had ever seen.

As for 2016, don't think you stand a chance personally. Can't see you winning anything again for decades. The phlosophies ingrained in British football culture hold England back.

Edited by Nikica

I think we should really wait until he actually has a match before we can begin to have any idea whats to come from him.

His tactics with average teams may be out dated, but Harry doesnt seem to have any tactics at all!

I have faith Roy will do a good job. If us as fans know you have to play international football different from league football, then i'm sure Roy knows that too.

Guest Nikica

What a fucking squad he has picked there. England don't have any world beaters really, other than maybe Rooney and Cole at times, but you'd think he'd be brave enough to blood the youth for 2014. I suppose if he tried that and they were pumped it might affect confidence, but I doubt it. Youth doesn't dwell on things.

As it is, he will go into the tournament with the same overrated players - Terry, Lampard, Gerrard etc. For England's sake surely he will do the smart thing and play Gerrard as a trequartista rather than a central midfielder? Given that Gerrard is an excellent hole player but as average as all fuck in central midfield and couldn't control a game of football if his life depended on it.

I have to laugh at Parker being preferred by England to the likes of Carrick as well. I'm not even a Carrick fan but he's much more continental in his approach than headless chicken Scotty Parker. Britain always rates players who run around a lot and 'show passion' over clever, understated, subtle footballers. I don't think they'd do much better with Carrick but surely it would at least be a step in the right direction in terms of playing a more evolved style of football?

As I said before, I like Roy, but it's the same shite - a manager with no backbone who sticks to the status quo.

Guest Nikica

problem is...carrick has had a good season yes but he won't get the time he gets at utd to pick out a pass..

Yep. I am not even a fan of Carrick's really, and my biggest criticism of his is that he is not a big game player and has major weaknesses in tight spaces when pressed, however I do think that he's still about the best that England have for that CM role in 4231 (not saying much really), and he will at least allow them to play a more technical game (to a point) than Parker would.

Guest Nikica

isn't that what barry is meant to be there for though? he can also tackle far better than carrick

Not really, Barry is similar to Carrick in terms of positioning and plays good, safe passing, but Carrick is capable of more expansive passing (even if he doesn't show it). Think of Carrick as the deep-lying playmaker (regista) and Barry as doing more of the in your face donkey work but also being able to pass to a lesser extent as well. Parker is less technical than both imo.

Barry is a better tackler than Carrick yes, but Carrick reads the game pretty well and makes the better interceptions, which are just as important defensively as making a tackle to dispossess someone (if not more so). Carrick, in theory, can intercept through reading of the game, whereas Barry can tackle better as you say (while being able to intercept also, just not as well as Carrick).

They complement each other pretty well i would say.

Edited by Nikica

i wouldn't say so..i think they're both shite myself..parker is a grafter and in the modern game it seems that is needed...carrick wouldn't get the time and space he gets at man utd...he wouldn't be anywhere near as effective..proof of that is that he never has been when he has worn an england shirt

Guest Nikica

i wouldn't say so..i think they're both shite myself..parker is a grafter and in the modern game it seems that is needed...carrick wouldn't get the time and space he gets at man utd...he wouldn't be anywhere near as effective..proof of that is that he never has been when he has worn an england shirt

Don't get me wrong here, I am not saying that Carrick and Barry are Xavi and Iniesta...I don't even rate either particularly. However, they have both had good seasons and their qualities appear to complement one another's. I am in full agreement though that they would be found out together in the Euros, but I don't think England have a better combination to offer for midfield, so it is a sorry state of affairs.

I reckon Parker's indiscipline and headless chicken act may well be found out in the Euros by the best teams (prepared to be proved wrong, but the gaps he leaves can very well be expolited). British teams going for 'grafters' over technical players is part of the problem. I am not even defending Carrick here particularly - I am just saying that if you have a technical player (ideally one significantly better than Carrick), you would play him in your team over parker every day of the week.

perhaps England do need Parker - because their technical midfielders aren't good enough to get away without a 'grafter', so you may be right. But teams with true top quality midfields often don't use grafters (Busquets, Alonso, Xavi for Spain, none are grafters in the sense you mean, Bastian and Kroos for Germany, I guess you could consider Khedira a bit of a grafter, France with Cabaye and M'Vila, the latter is the defensive player but he's classy on the ball and reads the game rather than running about mental).

Anyway, I hope I have explained what I mean well enough - I was in a rush because I have to go offline now, or else I would elaborate further. Speak soon mate.