IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

Spain did come with their best team, while Germany didn't. Götze, Kroos, Gündogan, Draxler, Schürrle, ter Stegen were all eligible to play for Germany but didn't, and I might even be forgetting a couple.

They're still not as good as Spain. They're a decent set of players and will no doubt make the Quarters/Semis but they're not going to go all the way. Italy & Spain have reserved that spot for the next few years.

Not the former I'm afraid, have a bit of sense. They were hardly the 'best in the world' when they won the World Cup in Germany, but that is sometimes the case with world championship sides, and then only got to the final last year by beating a (poor) England side with both sides trying to defend (and bore) each other to death, then a win over Germany where they always win and the hoodoo continued, and then beaten out of sight by a far superior Spanish squad in the final event. Not even in the top five in the world, and I'm not talking about that stupid asinine ranking thing they do with world teams.

Whatever occurs next year in south america, happens. I'm having (or fucking trying to have) a soccer free summer and no tournaments, but still maintain next years winnners will either be Argentina or Germany. Third time meeting in the final event since 1986 ? It could very well happen.

They're still not as good as Spain. They're a decent set of players and will no doubt make the Quarters/Semis but they're not going to go all the way. Italy & Spain have reserved that spot for the next few years.

Italy, really? I don't know whether they brought their best eleven, but they really had just two players who have it in them to become world class in Verratti (well on his way) and Insigne. Germany already has plenty of players in that age category who are already world class.

Edited by Steve_E

This is where England fall down. Too quick to promote the young lads to the senior squad without giving them tournament experience first.

Oxaide-Chamberlain, Phil Jones, Rodwell, Carl Jenkinson, Sterling, Walker, Wiltshire; should have all gone to the U21's tournament.

Let them all go (if the qualify). Let them have a chance of winning, get their confidence up. If they play well at that level, THEN promote them. International games are completely different to the league.

I agree about Spain but not Italy! The German team has far more potential and they would have probably waltzed our group even with the squad they had out there. Holland should have probably beaten Italy with the chances they had in the first half of the semi too.

Although the one thing that is for certain is that all the above teams will be a damn site better than us! :)

Guest blueboy122

Love the energy of Honda how he keeps running and going forward. Never thought much of Asian players to be honest dont know why but I have totally changed my opinion tonight.

Kagawa is brilliant at pulling the strings also he remind me of the japenese paul scholes.

Guest blueboy122

Brilliant game. Love the ethic of the japenese team the way they play as a team where theres not one player trying to run through everyone (like ballotelli) they keep passing under preassure.

Brilliant

Fuck. Gutted Italy just scored

Lawrenson giving his opinion on the unrest in Brazil....

"It's really gone over the top some of it."

Told that Pele's concern is that "Bandits and bad characters have now taken over."

Lawrenson, "I think there is some of that isn't there."

We're lucky to have such a wise man in the commentary box.....with that level of insight he'll be the beeb's next political correspondent :rolleyes:.

Tit.

I can't stand most soccer analysists but admittedly Mark Lawrenson isn't such a bad sort, Liverpool connections or otherwise. Steven Claridge is another I can watch without issue. It's the irritating boring mundane banal fucking individuals such as Murray, Chiles, Smith, Yorath and to put it into the bigger picture, around some 90 per cent of all BBC and ITV sports personnel who do reports and discussions. At least for a few months at least, there is some level of respite. Real pleased Murray won't be back on MOTD2 next season. One main reason why I could never tune in.

No, that (unfortunately) is Johnathan Ross. And it took some considerable effort to even type that name.

As again, never had a problem with Lawrenson. He may not be the best (or high profile) game analysist, but doesn't get me upset or angry, so that in itself, has to be one merit. As he was with a player you remember, no fancy stuff, just go out and fight the good fight. Maybe not a name for everyone, or how he presents himself now, but never had an issue with the name in question.

Final of what though. There's so many of these goddamn tournaments underway at the moment (soccer free summer was it) you don't quite know what is going on. We've had under 20's, under 18's and one or two other things in recent weeks and it's real easy to fall behind with this. Appears (looked into) it's the Confederations tournament in Brazil but just doesn't generate much interest. This simply can't compare with real competitions such as the four yearly euro and world tournaments. I got no preference on who wins the final event.