IGNORED

Potential T-How Successors

Lowensda

Dont really see too much in that Ter Sturgen video, but it is only a snapshot. He looks good from distance shots and the hollywood saves and I would be interested to see him play a match when I get chance.

For me, the most important parts of being a good goalkeeper are your communication, the command of your area, reading of the game and obviously shot stopping & reactions. When you actually look at Howard, he only really excels at the latter (as long as its not from distance!) but there are very few keepers that do excel at all four. Petr Cech in his pomp was the closest I have seen since Schmeichel and Joe Hart is probably the closest in the Prem today.

Ten - That Kapino does look promising, but again I only watched a short video. His positioning was brilliant at times because a lot of keepers wouldnt have been in the right place to make the stop.

There's 1 name that instantly springs to mind for me : Sinan Bolat of Standard Liège

He's been out for 6 months because of an injury and the club already bought a new nr1 GK to fill his shoes(gloves). His contract ends in June and Standard are looking into selling him in January. He's been completing his rehabilitation at Fulham so I'm expecting that's where he'll end up.

Pros :

- Well obviously he's a great keeper, if I'd have to compare him I'd say he's similar to Al-Habsi but a bit better

- VERY cheap

- Powerful and highly accurate kicks

- Good ballcontrol and ground passing

- Above average on penalty stopping

- Experience in CL/EL played 22 matches and had 9 clean sheets

- Vocal

Cons :

- He has a temper, he likes to taunt the opposition & is known for throwing some punches/knees, he's definitely no Howard smile.png

- Might be a risk looking at his injury record

I still feel thinking about a replacement for Howard seems a bit premature at this stage but I was thinking just then about that kid they had at Coventry a year or two ago, Westwood was his name. Was player of the season quite often and in the end it was no surprise he moved to an EPL side, I think Sunderland have him now, have heard some great things about this player, still in his mid 20s, and maybe a possible name we could throw into the ring for the benefit of this here thread. Still could be operational for another ten years and can only get better with experience, it was worth a mention. He's the Republic of Irelands first choice now.

There's a few decent goalkeepers around that won't cost the earth that could do a job and playing goal is such a pivotal part of the team so it's imperative any side has some men in reserve to fall back on.

Oh for sure. But my point was that a guy like Manninger makes much more sense than breaking the bank for a young goalkeeper at this point... at least in my opinion.