IGNORED

Potential T-How Successors

Lowensda

Pete0's response in Avin's thread has given me an idea for another.

Tim Howard has been a great servent to our club, great proffessional, top bloke and as consistant as they come in the PL. However, of late (Newcastle game highlighting this) he's starting to be more consistant with his brainfarts and his decision making (Southampton - Ramirez's goal) has left a lot to be desired.

Everton have always had a long tradition of having great keepers, long serving, loyal and very very good players bewteen the sticks and if Howard were to be "phased" out, does anyone have any suggestions as to whom they wish to be his potential replacement?

Alot of the big teams in the PL have some very young and exceptionally talented GK's on their books, including;

Courtois (20) - Chelsea

De Gea/Lindergarrd (21) - United

Szczęsny (22) - Arsenal

Mignolet (24) - Sunderland

Krul (24) - Newcastle

So do you have any suggestions on GK's you'd like to see between the posts at Goodison?

Mine would be along the lines of;

Stefanos Kapino (18) - Panathinaikos

Marc-André ter Stegen (20) - Borrusia Mothafuckemgladyourback.

Bernd Leno (20) - Bayer 04 Leverkusen

All three are incredible talented, very very young, all excel their age.

Lloris if he does a Pienaar at Spurs. I can't see United keeping to goalies happy, so either would be worth a punt in the future.

Mignolet if he shows the same level of consistency as last year. Begovic is worth keeping an eye on, as I think he has the potential to up his level. Handanovic, because he has a great name, but he may be a little out of our price range.

Unfortunately I dont see enough foreign football apart from the Champions League so I cant really comment on players who should come in, but I do agree that it is probably about time we gave Howard some proper competition for the jersey. He makes some brilliant saves but just one too many errors are starting to creep in.

Speaking of other keepers in the Premiership, I think Lindegaard looks an excellent keeper. He doesnt look flashy or flambouyant but he takes a good command of his defenders, is a good shot stopper and seems very consistent. De Gea shows moments of brilliance but also moments of weakness. Lindegaard is just solid, which is what you need at the top level.

Lindegaard is a funny one because you have to wonder if United didn't think that he'd make it, hence forking out on De Gea.

He is a cracking keeper and will only grow, so why spend £20m+ on someone of a similar playing field, when you have one in your youth set-up?

Bailey, Kapino i've mentioned before, dig a little and check out a few of his videos! If he can mirror his atleticism and enthusiasm with more experience and decision making, he'll be brilliant.

Pete0 - Begobvic is a steady keeper, I like the look of him, not sure whether he'd do much better than Stoke though? Lloris would cost a bomb, plus you get the impression that he'll be number one in a couple of seasons. Handonovic...as you say, love his name and he's a good keeper. Inter paid a packet for him...considering he's been a loan(er) player for 3 years now. Maybe they see something...

Lindegaard is a funny one because you have to wonder if United didn't think that he'd make it, hence forking out on De Gea.

He is a cracking keeper and will only grow, so why spend £20m+ on someone of a similar playing field, when you have one in your youth set-up?

They bought Lindegaard (the January before they got De Gea I think), and he's in his late 20's isn't he?

Edited by Romey 1878

Bill Hamid would be nearly a straight swap for Howard. The young lad plays for DC United, he's behind Howard in the US's national team, so could be a great coach for the lad.

He's shown good promise and he's been playing for a few years now, yet still only 21. Was on trial at one of the PL sides, can't remember which one, could be Fulham? (guessing based on the old Dempsey links).

COuld be a worthy replacement?

Alvarado (AZ Alkmaar) is also a quality keeper, big unit but great athleticism. He'd cost a fortune, plus with our recent Costa Rican addiition, he'd have someone to ease him in.

You didn't know that before you google'd it tongue.png haha laugh.png I always had the impression, he was young?

dont%20know.gif

I didn't Google it, which was why I put the question mark, because I'm not sure. I think he's 28 though. Something like that anyway.

Anyway, my post was more in reply to you thinking he'd come through their youth ranks, but he was bought.

Edited by Romey 1878

Howard's still got some time left in him. He's made some errors in the early stages of previous seasons and really come into form later on. He'll be here 3-4 more years and should be. This just gives the demagogues on this board something more to bitch about.

Relevance?

Really pressed for time and I didn't understand that above bit either.

How old is Tim Howard now, 34 or thereabouts, obviously he won't go on playing goal for as long as Southall or Burridge or Zoff or Shilton even, just not him, but I estimate another three years perhaps or possibly an end sometime before that, of course there is always the chance he could leave before then to go to another club, but if Howard is around for a few more years as of now, then what's the problem with some people, he's a damn fine goalkeeper, I wouldn't swap him with anyone else in the EPL. He's reliable, commanding and always earns the club extra points for his often fine displays and has merely followed on from Martyn before him in being a top class goalkeeper for me. I didn't see any problems with this.

Really pressed for time and I didn't understand that above bit either.

How old is Tim Howard now, 34 or thereabouts, obviously he won't go on playing goal for as long as Southall or Burridge or Zoff or Shilton even, just not him, but I estimate another three years perhaps or possibly an end sometime before that, of course there is always the chance he could leave before then to go to another club, but if Howard is around for a few more years as of now, then what's the problem with some people, he's a damn fine goalkeeper, I wouldn't swap him with anyone else in the EPL. He's reliable, commanding and always earns the club extra points for his often fine displays and has merely followed on from Martyn before him in being a top class goalkeeper for me. I didn't see any problems with this.

Agree completely, but if I had to chose the ideal back-up, give me ter Stegen. That guy looks like a very impressive prospect.

He's reliable, commanding and always earns the club extra points for his often fine displays and has merely followed on from Martyn before him in being a top class goalkeeper for me. I didn't see any problems with this.

He's not on the same level as Martyn imo. I think this thread is lost on some. Yes, Howard is consistent and one of the better keepers in the league. However the competition in the league isn't as strong as in the past, but most of them are younger than Howard and should improve in the coming years and we'll be left behind in a position that we have traditionally had one of the best players.

The main 2 flaws in Howards game are his distribution and what can only be attributed as flapping, and there has been little of improvement in either, with I assume communication being the main key to both. He has improved immensely at pens, that helped us get to a cup final, but that doesn't outweigh his flaws imo.

As Pete0 points out, why have some people taken the post at a dig at Howard? At some point, Howard will need replacing. Irrelevant if that's tomorrow or 4 years down the line, if we were to look for a successor, who would you want to replace him?

If anything, I'm not sure why some people suck his hoop so hard. He's a good goalie, no question but is he really THAT good? No.

Oh and Quinn, I'm not bitching, I'm just asking a question. Some demagogues on the site want to think people on the board are always bitching, but most only have a valid point and wish to string discussions on matters that they feel need addressing. So, not bitching dude.

Bill Hamid would be nearly a straight swap for Howard. The young lad plays for DC United, he's behind Howard in the US's national team, so could be a great coach for the lad.

He's shown good promise and he's been playing for a few years now, yet still only 21. Was on trial at one of the PL sides, can't remember which one, could be Fulham? (guessing based on the old Dempsey links).

COuld be a worthy replacement?

Alvarado (AZ Alkmaar) is also a quality keeper, big unit but great athleticism. He'd cost a fortune, plus with our recent Costa Rican addiition, he'd have someone to ease him in.

Hamid could be a solid developmental pickup but he is nowhere near where Howard was at his age. Tim Howard absolutely dominated the MLS as a 22 year old. Hamid is almost 22 and, although he is definitely one of the better MLS keepers, I don't think anyone would consider him the best and he definitely is not feared like Howard was. In fact there are people that believe that Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire) and/or Ryan Meara (my New York Red Bulls) are better options for the future of the US National Team.

I'm obviously biased but I'd love to see Meara end up on Everton. You want to talk about a straight swap for Howard? Meara's favorite player growing up WAS Tim Howard. He's from New York and so he watched Timmy when his career began in New York. And he wears 18 to honor him. He's similar to Howard in that he's low maintenance but has good reflexes and does a good job of commanding the back line. He was considered the best rookie in MLS until he got hurt and was called up by Ireland's U-21 squad (though Red Bull didn't allow him to go). He's a few years away from being ready for Europe, though.

I've always liked the look of ter. Stegen so I'd take him but as others have said I doubt he'd leave Germany at this moment in time. Out of the Premier League I'd be having a look at Vorm/Krul but I don't think either of them would come cheap so it's not even a starter.

I don't see why De Gea is being mentioned either, we woulden't ever get him because of his wage demands and even if we did I'd throw away my season ticket because my Border Collie could do a much better job in goal than he could.

I had never even heard of this Ter Stegen player before it was mentioned in the above. Apparently the shite are planning a swoop in the January window for this player, but not sure how far they'll get. He must be good if he's been picked to play for Germany at full international level, or even considered for the final squad for this years Euro championships, but I read on his full international debut, let in five in a friendly game with Switzerland. Of course you can't read too much into that, why even Southall himself had seven put past him once for Wales I remember, so what we can know of, or can read into, good and fine goalkeepers, they are all prone to significant defeats or off days, but I think above all else, and I read some information about him just now, this Stegen seems a reliable name for the most part and could be a worthwhile successor to Howard, even if our regular choice still has a good few two or three years left in him at the top. Seems a bit premature to be talking about a successor to Howard in that respect, unless of course Moyes or whoever sells him before time or moves elsewhere.

Jack Butland always impresses me whenever I watch Birmingham, however he'll probably be overpriced as he's young and English.

My Portuguese bias says Rui Patricio. He's one of the first names in Portugal's teamsheet these days and it looks like the GK position will be his for a few years. He's already brought us a stability in goal we hadn't seen since Vitor Baia. Sporting's number 1 for a few seasons already as well... and only 24.

Sporting are in financial turmoil at the moment, so although he's one of their most important players I could see a good deal being struck there for both clubs...