IGNORED

American toffees

Peter H

Reading through the Donovan thread I realise that a lot of yanks seem to support everton, and the yank following seems to grow each month. Is that due to Howard and Donovan? Is the amount of US toffees growing? Could that inflict on a possible investment from a wealthy american? Should perhaps Everton sign more yank players to further grow the US fan base? A lot of money to be won in endorsements, kit sales etc.

A few swedes have been here apart from me, but not that many. Would perhaps get some more around when Hammar is promoted to the first squad. But to be honest, not many have heard about him. (apart from us swedish toffees)

Everton do go talent scouting in the US. In recent years we've had Anton Peterlin, Cody Arnoux, Danny Szetela, Joshua Lambo, Justin Mapp, Zac Macmath, Steve Zakuani and probably others all train with the club. We were also linked with Geoff Cameron before he signed for Stoke. There are clubs named after Everton in the USL Y-League and there is a formal agreement with Pittsburg Riverhounds to train young players in their academy.

I found out recently that there are four clubs named Everton near you Sideliner, there's at least four Evertons in Cape Town. I'd like to see Everton buy a franchise in the SAFA Second Division ;)

Personally I'm a fan because of Tim Howard, and I know there are others who are fans because of Timmy/Landon. Though I think more and more teams are starting to take the hint, there is a lot of potential for the US as a market for European teams. I think the US is particularly a good fit for Everton, because we seem to develop similar players. Low maintenance guys who work hard and think defense first.

Getting involved in the SA setup must be seen as developement without much direct benefit for Everton - which would be good - but i think because Everton is slightly cash strapped - they would probably benefit more by exploiting player and sponsor support in the USA - because lets face it soccer like all major sport has unfortunately become a money game - to compete with the top dogs you need the financial muscle behind you - this is where i see the USA as ideal partners - or maybe the Chinese if they are not game ......

It has become more prominent in recent times such with the acquisition of US themed players such as McBride, Donovan, Max Moore and Howard to name but a few. In Howard at least, we have ourselves a first rate goalkeeper and has been reliable ever since his switch from Old Trafford. You can't help but notice also, the number of new participants in recent months from stateside, this is to be encouraged and will continue.

We have a good understanding and working relationship with the United States, and there are some fine up and coming players to be had, but the immediate focus should be scouting in Europe and the immediate area if we want to uncover some more potential gems. Just a different caliber of player.

I 1st started watching Everton because of Howard, who is my favorite USNT player, but as a whole I think the biggest growth is that Donovan, who is by far the most recognized USNT player, played at Everton. He was on ESPN every week while playing in England, and the fact that he has played well was relevant to many Americans, even non football fans.

http://epltalk.com/2...Talk (EPL Talk)

Tottenham agreed to a partnerhsip that will make the sales of Tottenham merchandise a hell of a lot easier. Tottenham is immediately trying to capitalize on the Dempsey capture. The only reason I don't own an Everton jersey is because my choices are to pay a ton of money on shipping from Europe or hope that one that is my size, isn't overpriced, and is of a player I want finds it's way on Ebay. Sorry, but I'm not interested in freakin' Yakubu and Arteta jerseys, Ebay. I don't expect Everton to compete with the likes of Barcelona and Manchester United, but come on. It's a relatively prominent team and our National Team's starting goalkeeper has been a key figure for the club for over five years now. I would like to think there's a market to be had, especially in the New York/New Jersey area.

Edited by thoward18

Tottenham agreed to a partnerhsip that will make the sales of Tottenham merchandise a hell of a lot easier. Tottenham is immediately trying to capitalize on the Dempsey capture. The only reason I don't own an Everton jersey is because my choices are to pay a ton of money on shipping from Europe or hope that one that is my size, isn't overpriced, and is of a player I want finds it's way on Ebay. Sorry, but I'm not interested in freakin' Yakubu and Arteta jerseys, Ebay. I don't expect Everton to compete with the likes of Barcelona and Manchester United, but come on. It's a relatively prominent team and our National Team's starting goalkeeper has been a key figure for the club for over five years now. I would like to think there's a market to be had, especially in the New York/New Jersey area.

Why don't you ask one of the lads here to buy you one and send it to you. There must be plenty who live within a short distance of a retail outlet? You can then Paypal them a gift payment.

Why don't you ask one of the lads here to buy you one and send it to you. There must be plenty who live within a short distance of a retail outlet? You can then Paypal them a gift payment.

Like I said, shipping is probably a bitch. But if someone is willing I'm not against this I guess.

I first became fascinated with the game during Euro '08 which was covered relatively extensively in the US. During the 09/10 season I started to read up on the top professional leagues, which I previously had no knowledge of, in preperation for South Africa. Eventually I gave most of my attention to the EPL (language and other considerations) and around this time Donovan signed with Everton. So it was Donovan who brought my attention to Everton at a time I needed a team, but it was the spirit of the club, the manager, the fans, and players like Cahill, Baines, Pienaar, and Arteta that made me a Blue and still has me waking up early to watch derbies and shout at the TV.

Shipping has come down dramatically. 5 years ago it cost me about 20 pounds to ship a shirt. Last year I had three shipped over for only about 7 or 8 pounds (to Canada). Might be worth checking, especially as we get close to the holidays and kits start going on sale.

Where abouts in Canada do you live? I lived on Vancouver Island and on the mainland for a while in 2010-2011. Amazing place, I miss it!

What Avin said sounds like a good deal, and I might have to start a thread eventually to ask somebody to grab me something....

But, I've had a lot of luck on ebay.co.uk, and people have generally been pretty good about shipping. I've gotten some awesome shirts and only paid, in the end, about $20, shipping included. Let 'em know that you're a fellow Everton fan. People tend to help out their own kind.

In Victoria as it happens. Where on the island were you and where are you now?

Ahh I'm back in the UK now, I lived in Nanaimo for about two months staying with my girlfriends family then moved to East Van just off commercial drive. I also lived an worked on a farm in Cumberland near Mt. Washington for 6 weeks too. I loved it. I visited Victoria quite a lot, it is pretty British! I was in Van when the Canucks had their Stanley cup run which was also cool.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a Yank supporting Everton since 1979. Moved to Liverpool with my mom and dad in '79 and stayed in England for 6-7 years although part of the time was spent living in London and I do have a soft spot for Fulham. Hope we always beat them, but hope they do well kind of thing. I've been lurking for awhile and decided I should sign up.

Howard definitely had an influence on my decision to support Everton when I first started watching the EPL. I also have a lot of friends who support Fulham/Spurs because of Dempsey, and I have a soft spot for Villa because of Eric Lichaj. My favorite Italian club is Roma (Bradley).

Furthermore, I agree with the above statements that American players typically have great work ethics, which is also another reason why I enjoy watching Everton. I love seeing a player giving his all for his club and that club as a whole sharing that same mentality.