IGNORED

Stewart Downing

He was 'Boro's best player, and he helped fill in the Gareth Barry void at Villa. Last season Suarez had a conversion rate of 14% and Gerrard blasts most half chances into row Z, hardly going to shine at a club with them 2 as the main outlets.

there is no argument. downing isnt good enough for the worst liverpool team in years not only that he isnt better than our current wingers. wouldnt even want him on loan whats the point

Who said it was his fault!!

Your comparing players for Liverpool who play in totally positions quoting stats that are totally irrelevant to My opinion on Downing being an overrated!

How is it irrelevant? His job was to assist the team, he made the chances and those 2 missed them. Look at him the season before, and the majority of his career. He's a very good player, not worth £20 mil, but would be useful to most teams.

You can also flip that coin Ten on players who have been good for one bad for another then bad for another it just does not work like that as I'm sure you know bud.

It's the overall package that i class as overrated Himself as a player and also the fee that would be involved. I've just never rated him in any way shape or form plus for me the type of player he is is becoming a dying breed in todays game a quite slow wide man with half decent passing ability.

Pace and being able to beat a man are two of the main traits needed in the modern game two of which he does not posses...

He's a player in my eyes that should have from a younger age been developed into a central role.

He's not that slow.

He's played in the middle for Villa, and did well. He would be great cover for Gibson.

there is no argument. downing isnt good enough for the worst liverpool team in years not only that he isnt better than our current wingers. wouldnt even want him on loan whats the point

Who said he has to play on the wing, why not in the centre?

Who said he has to play on the wing, why not in the centre?

because he isnt a center midfielder only you think so, he's slow weak and his best attribute is shown on the wing wheres the sense in that.

on loan for free from are rivals isnt going to happen and you would use valuble wages in getting him in rather than a proper midfielder we need to come in

Downing played cm in his time at villa - probably his most successful spell was in a central role.

Personally I wouldn't want him as I have my doubts over his metal strength/confidence but if we signed him I certainly wouldn't oppose it. I think Moyes and his team will be the best to judge if he's worth pursuing.

really? i always thought he was on the right with milner in the centre and young on the left...never, ever saw him in the middle

really? i always thought he was on the right with milner in the centre and young on the left...never, ever saw him in the middle

MO'N played him there after Barry left. Better in the middle than on the wing imo.

Edit: trying to find a some mention of it but the best* I can find is a comment on a Sunderland forum

MON played him in central midfield for Villa fairly often. Signed him as Gareth Barry's replacement iirc.

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?p=13814930#post13814930#ixzz2Cy6OEqAm

Agree with this comment :)

'Rodgers is doing a fantastic job of scapegoating Dalglish's signings.'

*Leisurely googled

Edited by pete0

Pretty sure Houllier played Downing more centrally when Milner left with Young and the emerging Albrighton/Pires/Agbangawhore out wide. I have no evidence but I just remember him playing there!!! The majority of my mates are Villa 'fans' and him playing there just sticks out in my mind as they were raving how good he was!

Edited by c1982

Pretty sure Houllier played Downing more centrally when Milner left with Young and the emerging Albrighton/Pires/Agbangawhore out wide. I have no evidence but I just remember him playing there!!! The majority of my mates are Villa 'fans' and him playing there just sticks out in my mind as they were raving how good he was!

convenient :P

i have a few villa mates who are season ticket holders and say he never played there B)

Anybody who says Downing is crap needs to take a look at this video. He is clearly world class. wind%20up.png

Sits and waits for the first soft fooker to tell me it's fake ha ha. Or worse, believe it isn't.

http://www.toffeetalk.com/index.php?/topic/24621-stewart-downing/#entry314854

Posted this video the other day. See my comment after the first sentence (in white - obvs).

I didn't bother to watch the clip when you posted it the other day but just have...

You can't seriously have thought it was real mate? Also to use it to try and highlight your opinion on him being a delicous crosser of the ball is abit silly tbh as said you can make any player look like Messi on youtube.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9043618/Stewart-Downings-fake-Aston-Villa-skills-video-impressed-Liverpools-owners.html

I didn't bother to watch the clip when you posted it the other day but just have...

You can't seriously have thought it was real mate? Also to use it to try and highlight your opinion on him being a delicous crosser of the ball is abit silly tbh as said you can make any player look like Messi on youtube.

http://www.telegraph...ols-owners.html

Ha ha, I knew somebody would bite. celebrate.gif

Highlight the invisible writing underneath the video in my post, and you'll see what it says ........... rofl.gif

Untitled-4.jpg

http://www.telegraph...ols-owners.html

You obviously didn't read my post properly either :P like Avin, I added a 'white' sentence underneath the original post. Highlighting that I knew it was fake. There's a Cuellar one with a groundsman and an Ashley young one, where he's hitting the crossbar, blind folded, from the halfway line.

So no, I can't seriously have thought it was real. Because I KNEW it wasn't real ;):lol:

Here's five crosses. Five targets. 100% sucess rate.

p.s. I know it's fake, but thought it was funny in context.

Ha ha, I knew somebody would bite. celebrate.gif

Highlight the invisible writing underneath the video in my post, and you'll see what it says ........... rofl.gif

Untitled-4.jpg

See....Like the above post.