IGNORED

Stewart Downing

Have to say, i know it's only paper talk/internet but im quite concerned at some of the recent names linked to the club, not just Downing, but talk of loan moves for

Cahill and Arteta the other day, do we really need to be going down this road?

Arteta!? He's virtually the first name on Wenger's team sheet every week. Ridiculous.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/player-of-the-season-in-fifth-place-is

"Of all the many astute signings Arsène Wenger has made in his 16 years at Arsenal, the capture of Mikel Arteta on transfer deadline day must rank as one of his best. Cool, calm and composed, the Spaniard so quickly became a mainstay of the team that it seemed scarcely credible that he had not been a Gunner for years."

Have to say, i know it's only paper talk/internet but im quite concerned at some of the recent names linked to the club, not just Downing, but talk of loan moves for

Cahill and Arteta the other day, do we really need to be going down this road?

The site actually said it was a joke in the same article regarding Arteta! They only did it as they had a pic of the 2 at emirates on Saturday and EFC were going to nab the pair on an emergency loan with Felli, nev and Gibbo out!!!

The site actually said it was a joke in the same article regarding Arteta! They only did it as they had a pic of the 2 at emirates on Saturday and EFC were going to nab the pair on an emergency loan with Felli, nev and Gibbo out!!!

good then, nothing against either Arteta or Cahill but i don't get this whole selling a player then bringing him back again 5 mins later(Cahill) might as well have kept him, and i just think we have moved on a bit from the Arteta/Cahill thing now.

As much as I don't like him...There's no doubting his ability.

He is an assist machine (last season was a poor poor return but the 'Kings' methodology didn't suit his style).He did create the most chances not convereted. (not his problem).

He's got a cracking left peg, ability to hit a target on point, make delicious crosses, can take set pieces, and can score a hat load if used correctly.

What he lacks is the ability to pass a man (wouldn't be an issue with us, with Baines on the overlap), pace and attitude. All things that we (Everton) need for our style of play.

I hate his attitude, he's lazy and throws paddies when things don't go his way, but he's certainly not shit. Same as Suarez, undoubtably one of the best players in the league, but I literally boil at the sight of his face. Horrible horrible boy.

As Pete0 and C' have said, he'd be a good aquisition, just not now he's been over the park. Confidence is lacking most, get that back and you've got a top left mid. (hate saying it)

Make delicious crosses!? It takes the bloke multiple attempts to whip one good ball in!

Very limited on pace struggles to beat a man without having to pass it back or sideways ten times to create space...

He's another Bentley a one club pony who can hit a dead ball and have a screamer once in a blue moon with very little else to offer.

You've practically described Adam Johnson not Downing mate He's even slatted by those deluded bunch for being slow inconsistent and for having average ability...

Edited by EFC-Paul

He's another Bentley a one club pony who can hit a dead ball and have a screamer once in a blue moon with very little else to offer.

In reference to the one club pony statement, were you refering to the amount of clubs he played well at or the notion that he can only "hit a dead ball" and "have a screamer"?

In both cases you're incorrect. The inclusion of 'and' in the latter example, means he isn't a 'one trick pony', he has at least two abilities in his locker.

And in the former statement, if you meant 'one club'...I think you'll find he was 'Player of the Season' at both (2) clubs. Which renders your statement as rubbish. winner.

220px-Middlesbrough_crest_old.png& Aston-Villa-Football-Club1.jpg

Edited by tenaciousj

You can post clips of any player and stats to make them look good it means nothing..

In terms of being a one club pony fair do's I can only remember him being half decent for Villa but the point still stands he's one of the most overrated players I have ever seen.

Also if you think being able to hit a dead ball and having one long range attempt fly in from god knows how many attempts deems him a good player then so be it but my own opinion is he's average at best and the players we now have out wide are much better.

I just found your analysis of his abilities to be way off the mark mate but we shall agree to disagree on this one...

You can post clips of any player and stats to make them look good it means nothing..

In terms of being a one club pony fair do's I can only remember him being half decent for Villa but the point still stands he's one of the most overrated players I have ever seen.

Also if you think being able to hit a dead ball and having one long range attempt fly in from god knows how many attempts deems him a good player then so be it but my own opinion is he's average at best and the players we now have out wide are much better.

I just found your analysis of his abilities to be way off the mark mate but we shall agree to disagree on this one...

He was 'Boro's best player, and he helped fill in the Gareth Barry void at Villa. Last season Suarez had a conversion rate of 14% and Gerrard blasts most half chances into row Z, hardly going to shine at a club with them 2 as the main outlets.

True but that doesn't alter my opinion that He's an overrated player who has no place here also those players shouldn't affect his own ability to the extent of how shit he's been

Regardless of past clubs we are talking about now you can talk players up on past performances and so on till your blue in the face but as we speak he's been piss poor.

Also Saurez plays a totally different position and role as does Gerrard who's still in his declining state a far far better player then Downing.

Not good enough to take a spot from anyone out wide here.

Edited by EFC-Paul

True but that doesn't alter my opinion that He's an overrated player who has no place here also those players shouldn't affect his own ability to the extent of how shit he's been

Regardless of past clubs we are talking about now you can talk players up on past performances and so on till your blue in the face but as we speak he's been piss poor.

Also Saurez plays a totally different position and role as does Gerrard who's still in his declining state a far far better player then Downing.

Not good enough to take a spot from anyone out wide here.

They played as the main two strikers, Downing made chances they wasted them. How's that his fault?

Great performances - "piss poor"

Pienaar

Ajax > Borrussia Dortmund > Everton

Heitinga

Ajax > Athletico Madrid > Everton

Time Howard

Metro Stars > United > Everton

3 examples of good players, who have shone in one team, moved onto another, had an absolute shitta and have since come to Everton (as the only example I've used (for obvious reasons)) and they've gone on to better themselves and become vital components within our squad.

We'll use Downing.

Middlesborough > Aston Villa > Liverpool > ?????

One "piss poor" stint, doesn't make a "shit" player. He could go on (Everton or not) and become an effective player again. As they say, Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Edited by tenaciousj

You can also flip that coin Ten on players who have been good for one bad for another then bad for another it just does not work like that as I'm sure you know bud.

It's the overall package that i class as overrated Himself as a player and also the fee that would be involved. I've just never rated him in any way shape or form plus for me the type of player he is is becoming a dying breed in todays game a quite slow wide man with half decent passing ability.

Pace and being able to beat a man are two of the main traits needed in the modern game two of which he does not posses...

He's a player in my eyes that should have from a younger age been developed into a central role.