IGNORED

Why isn't there a Turkish flag at the park?

mikkey

The only players to have a flag are Nikica Jelavic (Croatia) and Maroane Fellaini (Belgium). It's not the club that puts them up either, its the supporters so unless someone Turkish makes a flag and hangs it up every week there will be no change.

Not that its needed as nobody Turkish plays for the club (or ever has done by my recent memory).

The Belgian flag will surely also count for Mirallas smile.png

The Belgian flag has a silhouette of Marouane Fellaini on it so it's for him. I don't think I've seen it this season though as it was always hung over the advertising boards in either Gwladys or the Park End (can't remember which side). So yeah, it was for Maro only.

I don't like the idea of Turkish flags at Goodison Park. Osman or not, it reminds me of a certain game, with a certain club, in a certain competition a few years back.

I hope they're not prominent if we ever play Leeds United again. There's still a lot ill feeling about the deaths of the two supporters in Istanbul in 2000 you understand. Good natured or not, and their supporters simply won't want to see flags on display. But it's very unlikely we'll be playing them again any time soon, so seems safe enough. I only wanted to mention that, as you've seen before how fans can react.

Osman was eligible to play for Turkey, and they've done not too bad in various tournaments and gone further than England in recent years, so I wonder how Osman felt about that at the time.

Didn't Osman say he wasn't even eligible to play for Turkey and that it was a load of crap?

Sure he would've been because his father is Turkish Cypriot....so he could've played for either Turkey or Cyprus. He played for England U16 as a kid but I don't think that ties him.

I don't like the idea of Turkish flags at Goodison Park. Osman or not, it reminds me of a certain game, with a certain club, in a certain competition a few years back.

I hope they're not prominent if we ever play Leeds United again. There's still a lot ill feeling about the deaths of the two supporters in Istanbul in 2000 you understand. Good natured or not, and their supporters simply won't want to see flags on display. But it's very unlikely we'll be playing them again any time soon, so seems safe enough. I only wanted to mention that, as you've seen before how fans can react.

Osman was eligible to play for Turkey, and they've done not too bad in various tournaments and gone further than England in recent years, so I wonder how Osman felt about that at the time.

Fair point. Murdering fans is just inexcusable even though they wiped their behinds with the Turkish flag. To be objective-in any country, you do that, Peru, Croatia -you're asking for trouble.

I just hope that Turks aren't forever linked with what two people did vis a vis the greater whole. That is really unfair I think.

On another note the 3-3 comeback against Villa was amazing. You all seem like reasonable and personable guys unlike the nonsense spewers on twitter.

Best of luck at ManU, it is live here in the US and I'm watching on Sunday tho not live!

Last point! Brits forgive Argentines who ply their trade in EPL and yet their country killed 255 of you with grave intent. But they are forgiven and Aguero and Tevez roam free, as they should -as should Turks! Yet people forgive the Falklands and cannot forget two Turks, get some perspective guys!

Mikkey, I really wouldn't look into what DK has said there. It doesnt matter what country a match is played in, an element of hooliganism exists everywhere.

I'm sure planes still take off from Leeds and go to Turkey every summer - just like people go to Rome, Amsterdam etc etc.

Idiots exist in every country and good people exist in every country.

Mikkey, I really wouldn't look into what DK has said there. It doesnt matter what country a match is played in, an element of hooliganism exists everywhere.

I'm sure planes still take off from Leeds and go to Turkey every summer - just like people go to Rome, Amsterdam etc etc.

Idiots exist in every country and good people exist in every country.

Fair point Hafnia. I dwell in the past because others drag me back there. Ryanair, British fly to Antalya and Istanbul daily.

I hate to bring up your arch rivals in red played in Istanbul a while ago in the CL. smile.png Maybe this is your year.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Edited by mikkey

Last point! Brits forgive Argentines who ply their trade in EPL and yet their country killed 255 of you with grave intent. But they are forgiven and Aguero and Tevez roam free, as they should -as should Turks! Yet people forgive the Falklands and cannot forget two Turks, get some perspective guys!

Million miles away mate.

War is war. Murder at a sporting venue where people go to support a football team is a different thing altogether.

I dont think any of us are particualry against Turkish players, i know i am not.

Just cant remember one playing for us thats all.

And who ever said we forgive them? it's just..... Tevez didnt do the killing :)

I don't have a problem with any nationality.

People are individuals, and have the right to represent themselves. I don't know of any documented race more aggressive than the English, so it's ironic that a few of us forget our past history when discussing events.

If the Internet doesn't offer enough insight into realising that people are pretty much the same where ever they are (in a good way) then nothing will. The world is full of wankers, but those wankers are not representative of the world.

Didn't Osman say he wasn't even eligible to play for Turkey and that it was a load of crap?

Says about half way down that it was just an urban myth

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2275034/Leon-Osman--The-Footballers-Football-Column-What-makes-Everton-player-Desire-heart-quality-character--But-Pienaar-reckons-bit-Bee-Gees.html#axzz2KJhyKjN3

I read the link (it wasn't an easy task) but Osman mentions a 'somalian grandfather' now ? I was unaware of such a thing, but the player certainly has some interesting heritage ?

Guess I can talk a bit on this now as feeling more phlegmatic now than yesterday and it's just that there's always propensity for trouble, and soccer is no exception. Fans don't do themselves any favors on this issue, with disclosure of Turkish flags at Leeds games (I know we should let this lie, and I'm more than prepared to), that instigates trouble and people get hurt. This Osman flag business is good natured from our perspective, but what if it was on display, and some opposition supporters took offense ?

I wish that Leeds supporter was reading this who came on a few weeks back and had a response or view, just out of interest, but it's all very well and good we should let this lie now.

One above response quoted Argentine players in the league, Yes they're there, but we don't see the flags ? The Falklands was 31 years ago now, and many of the crowd won't remember or even be aware of the troubles. All they'll concentrate on, is that Tevez and other countrymen in the EPL, are decent players and not focus too much on nationality. Are there even Argentine flags on display at MCFC stadium ? I've never seen them myself. Same with German players. The last war was over 60 years ago, but despite some poor sub standard news publications trying to stir things (see Euro 96 as one example) with poor attempts at humor that may raise a snigger with some dumb kids, any German readers, may take umbrage themselves, even if it is good natured. But sometimes these said publications don't appear like they're joking sometimes.

Feel I'm digging myself into a hole here, but that's what I should have said and feel about things