IGNORED

Crowding Goalkeeper

the first Wigan goal resulted from Wigan players pushing agaist Mucha before the ball was hit -

he pushed them away and could not keep his eye on the ball -

i believe any contact with a goalkeeper before the ball is struck should be a foul -

all goalkeepers should be given at least 1 meter space to move freely on his goal line -

it has become fashionable for attackers to stand on the goalkeepers toes - pushing against him and obstructing his view -

there does not seem to be consistancy from the officials as to what is legal and what is not

Couldn't quite tell what happened for their first goal from where I was sitting, and haven't mustered up the courage to watch it online/tv. But I do remember us having a goal disallowed against West Ham for Anichebe standing in front of Jaaskelainen/pushing him, so I do agree some consistency would be good.

I said as soon as the goal went in that it shouldn't have been given. Mucha was being man-handled in the box yet nothing was given, it was on par with what happened against Oldham.

Not the sound like a Kopite but it only seems to happen against us lately. All the goalkeepers seem to get protection yet we concede two vital goals against teams in the cup because of it. If that first goal hadn't of gone in then maybe we would have held out to half-time at 0-0.

the first Wigan goal resulted from Wigan players pushing agaist Mucha before the ball was hit -

he pushed them away and could not keep his eye on the ball -

i believe any contact with a goalkeeper before the ball is struck should be a foul -

all goalkeepers should be given at least 1 meter space to move freely on his goal line -

it has become fashionable for attackers to stand on the goalkeepers toes - pushing against him and obstructing his view -

there does not seem to be consistancy from the officials as to what is legal and what is not

Disagree with most of that. Its a contact sport, you cant just say the keeper is untouchable. Everyone is jostling for position in the area before the corner is taken, if the defenders have to cope with it so should the keeper. Its not particularly sportsman like but its a tactic that works (like Droobie says, we do it too)

but where do you draw the line - what stops a player from pushing the goalkeeper over allowing an easy goal - it is rubbish and should never be allowed -

touching the goalkeeper before the ball is struck and even thereafter merely to hamper him can never be allowed -

otherwise we will soon see the goaly being tackled to the ground

Has the word 'obstuction' been removed from the laws of the game?

From my old refereeing days (long gone I'm afraid) an indirect free kick was awarded against a player who either accidentally or deliberately prevented an opposing player from playing the ball.

Now, crowding the goalkeeper with the deliberate intention of not allowing him to play the ball MUST be deemed as obstruction. I really can't see why referees have any qualms about awarding a free kick.

The monthly meetings of the referees panel must surely be discussing this, or they already have and decided that crowding the goalkeeper is OK. For what reason is best known only to themselves.......the Laws of the game are not to be re-interpreted, they are there to be adhered to or they are to be changed in the correct manner via FIFA.

'Nuff said!

It's crept into the game... you have a centre forward stand right in front of the keeper... sometimes leaning back into him. They argue that they're just standing there - possibly waiting for a shove that would send them to ground and earn a penalty? I think it's a valid tactic. Stand there to challenge the keeper and make things difficult for him.

Vic does it and we've had a decision go against us when it was deemed he went too far. I do believe referees look out for this and unfortunately he can look everywhere at once.

The first Wigan goal came from that sort of thing true, but I feel that's how it is now. Goalie strength and presence come into play too... can you imagine Big Nev being out muscled in his area?

It's crept into the game... you have a centre forward stand right in front of the keeper... sometimes leaning back into him. They argue that they're just standing there - possibly waiting for a shove that would send them to ground and earn a penalty? I think it's a valid tactic. Stand there to challenge the keeper and make things difficult for him.

Vic does it and we've had a decision go against us when it was deemed he went too far. I do believe referees look out for this and unfortunately he can look everywhere at once.

The first Wigan goal came from that sort of thing true, but I feel that's how it is now. Goalie strength and presence come into play too... can you imagine Big Nev being out muscled in his area?

I'd encourage the keeper to start going wild with the elbows and knees when coming for a catch, players would soon give him space.

Unfortunately we have become the bully victims of the league because we don't cry at the ref and do their job for them. We should be rewarded by getting their benefit of the doubt calls in our favour, but no their all useless/gullible/incompetent/cheats who have full knowledge of the different teams shady ploys, but instead prefer to be knowingly naive and not make the correct calls.

Disagree with most of that. Its a contact sport, you cant just say the keeper is untouchable. Everyone is jostling for position in the area before the corner is taken, if the defenders have to cope with it so should the keeper. Its not particularly sportsman like but its a tactic that works (like Droobie says, we do it too)

Include the fact that Keepers have an additional 1ft - 2 ft height advantage with their ability to use their arms/hands. The problem for me is the consistency.

with the current interpretation 2 or 3 players can continuously run up and down right in front of the goalie to obstruct his view and preventing him from punching the ball -

it is clear obstruction and needs to be deal;t with CONSISTANTLY !

poor Mucha had to litterally shove the WIGAN player off his lap - and ended up missing the ball

with the current interpretation 2 or 3 players can continuously run up and down right in front of the goalie to obstruct his view and preventing him from punching the ball -

it is clear obstruction and needs to be deal;t with CONSISTANTLY !

poor Mucha had to litterally shove the WIGAN player off his lap - and ended up missing the ball

1st rule of football - keep your eyes on the ball.

1st rule of football - keep your eyes on the ball.

McManaman was practically brawling with him, it's not something you can just ignore. I think that Mucha had every right to be annoying with that goal and its a wonder why the referee didn't see it.