IGNORED

Reading sack Brian McDermott

Brian McDermott departs Reading

Finally came ... perhaps still in the job so long out of loyalty by the Russian president ... but was it too late to save the Royals? What's your opinion on a change of manager at the taoil end of the season?

Quotes/Opinions from the Media:

Inside Football
It remains to be seen who Reading will bring in, but the new manager will have precious little time to guide the Royals to safety

Irish Examiner
He guided Reading back to the top flight last season for only the second time in their history but has been relieved of his duties as the club look to turn around their form in time to secure Premier League survival.

San Francisco Chronicle
McDermott had been in charge since 2009 and took Reading back into the Premier League. Reading says "in our current situation, owner Anton Zingarevich felt that a change was necessary."

Daily Express
The managerial merry-go round had already already seen casualties this season in the Premier League with Mark Hughes, Roberto Di Matteo and Nigel Adkins being given the chop. And McDermott, who for some have felt the writing has been on the wall for him, was given his P45 after a poor sequence of results.

Reading Evening Post
Brian McDermott has been sacked by Reading FC with Alan Curbishley the bookmakers' favourite to replace him.

Joe.ie
The powers that be at Reading have decided that they need a new man to help them beat the drop after parting company with Brian McDermott today. McDermott wasn’t known to be in danger of losing his job with the Royals, but speculation about his future at the club began to increase earlier today when the odds of him losing his job plummeted and betting was eventually suspended as his fate became clear.

The Independent
The decision, with just nine games of the season remaining, will come as a surprise. Despite Reading's difficulty on the pitch following their return to the Premier League there has been a well publicised good team-spirit at the club. And with so few games of the season remaining, any incoming manager will struggle to make a swift enough impact.

Strange.

I think it's too late in the day to save Reading but who knows, it could happen. I don't think that having a caretaker boss will benefit them in any way though so they had better have someone lined up for the vacant position.

Good luck to McDermott though, not really took that much of an interest in him but he always seemed like a decent bloke.

I'd imagine at the start of the season most Reading fans would have been happy if the team was 4 points from safety with 9 games to go. Not enough players of a premiership level to blame the manager, given they're not rooted to the bottom I'd say he's done a good job. Regroup, bounce back up and invest heavily the next time round would have been my forecast.

Edited by pete0

Reading's squad is probably the weakest in the PL on paper, I'm actually quite surprised they haven't been cut adrift at the bottom of the table yet. I though McDermott did a good job so this is surprising, especially with 9 games left.

They have Hope Akpan for a start.

Even though I think McDermott did a good job at Reading thats one thing that he's cocked up on. I don't know how much they paid for him but he's simply not good enough for the Premier League. I'd have liked him to take Ross Barkley on loan, he would have done well at Reading for a year.

Di Canio favourite to take over, madness!

Would be a great manager for them I think, give them a kick up the arse and keep them up. He did really well at Swindon Town and love the guy so wouldn't mind him in charge of Reading.

Thing it was disgusting he was sacked just like Atkins.Although they may not be percieved as a big name but they brought their teams up to the big league and even if they go down they have earnt their club millions. I hope they both go down due to that.Reading especially because they were going down regardless.

I wouldn't want Di Canio either. He'll probably be a comedy appointment at West Ham when they're done with Allardyce by end of season.

McDermott has done OK at Reading. Had some memorable achievements in the FA cup and upset some big names and won the second division last year, and that's how they treat him. Seems a lot like Adkins and how we went after doing a fine job.

I did admittedly think about McDermott as a possible replacement for Moyes at one or two times during some of his 'better days' but realized there was little chance we could have got him or he would have been made manager. I wish him well in his future endeavors

• 2 weeks later...