IGNORED

Toby Alderweireld

He has spoken to Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad. He's said that it's important to take a step forward. That Spartak Moscow are an option, but that he'll have to consider it carefully. That Russia is far away from home, but that it's a better league than the Dutch one. That he would prefer to go to England and that every footballer dreams of the Premier League. When asked about Spurs, Everton and Newcastle he says: "We'll see what options I have." (So I don't think any of those clubs have actually contacted Ajax as of yet, which is also the impression I get from that interview for Sky) He's also said that he's sure of his spot in the starting XI at Ajax and that that's important as well with the World Cup in Brazil coming up.

Which would be incredibly stupid. Spurs isn't the kind of team that can guarantee your importance. Everton is, cause you know Everton isn't going to attract a replacement after 1 season already.

It isn't that stupid though, he can guarantee his importance there. Look at the CBs they have got now. Let Gallas go, Bassong, Caulker (who were all decent players). Bassong has proved himself at Norwich. Caulker will do well for Cardiff. The only two proven PL players would be Dawson and Vertonghen because lets face it Kaboul wouldn't last a season as he is injury prone.

On the other hand we have got Distin, Jags, Heitinga, Alcaraz and Stones who can all play in the CB position. (I know stones is a RB but he can play as a CB)

Either club he goes to he will be an important player for both and would get game time at both teams.

Spartak moscow have already gotten Joao Carlos in the Anzhi fire sale btw so they definitely aren't getting him anymore.

To be honest though, while he would definitely be an improvement on Jagielka and Distin as ball players, we'd be getting quite a bit slower if he was to replace Distin and with the high line we play we can use that kind of pace. If only we could afford someone who can both pass and has Distin-like pace.

He's had a horrible game against Heerenveen yesterday btw. If clubs weren't sold on him yet, he won't have done much to alleviate their concerns.

BTW, Overmars has confirmed that they've only had bids from Norwich, Zenit and Spartak this summer. Atlético or Napoli (who have been mentioned in the press) have either only contacted his agent Sören Lerby or his agent has made it up to get his name about.

Edited by Steve_E

What is the Belgian version of the BBC? The Belgian Broadcasting Corporation ?

It's not actually called the BBC :D But I meant the Belgian public service broadcasting corporation, their sports department is called Sporza and they're very reliable, in that way they're similar to the BBC. They're now also reporting he has passed his medical, there's a picture of him in an Atlético shirt:

http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/voetbal/buitenland/Spanje/130831_alderweireld_atletico

He says he'll be signing for 4 years.