IGNORED

Toby Alderweireld

Alderweireld is actually a really good CD. When he played with Vertonghen at Ajax, I preferred Alderweireld cause he was the more defensive minded one of the two. Though Vertonghen is perhaps the better footballer (better passing, better shots), I'd think Alderweireld is the more reliable CB.

By that I mean it looks like Martinez wants ball playing CB's and neither Jagielka or Distin are that.

Conflicting reports about who can play good football and Underworld doesnt seem to be the one who can.

I'd be very happy with this signing.

I think Distin and Jags are both on borrowed time under Martinez.

I think they might be too. I think Jags will improve and develop but I am worried about Distin.

I'd be happy as well. He's tall and strong, but not overly fast. In terms of physique and pace, he's similar to Vertonghen. He's also got that good long diagonal pass and an incredibly powerful shot. He's a 1.86 meter tall centre back, but he's actually taken corner kicks for Belgium a couple of times in the past. He doesn't drive the ball into the midfield like Vertonghen does, but he's definitely much more comfortable on the ball and a better passer than Jagielka and Distin. He is right footed though, I would really like another left-footed centre back, but if the people in charge aren't sold on any left-footed centre backs Alderweireld will do :D I just hope there'll also be money left for 1 or 2 central midfielders if we do get him.

In terms of pace, I presume he is pacier than Heitinga? Not that it would be hard.

I think they might be too. I think Jags will improve and develop but I am worried about Distin.

In terms of pace, I presume he is pacier than Heitinga? Not that it would be hard.

Yeah, he isn't slow. Just not fast. Similar to Jagielka I'd say.

Why the fuck would anyone want to go to Norwich. It's the black hole of the UK isn't it.

Still stranger things happen in the world of soccer, so we shouldn't be too surprised if they managed a capture. I don't think we'll get him, never say never, but looking increasingly unlikely. Said before, the kid would appear to have a future, but not in Norfolk or on Merseyside.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Nikica

^ Could be a load of mince as the papers generally lie but at the same time, could also be realistic especially if he is in fact in last year of contract as it says. Cheap as chips.

The lad is pretty talented and the RB in Belgium's 'golden generation'. He'd be great for you but I expect Coleman to come into his own under Martinez so not sure the Belgian is needed. Still, it's great to have options.

Edited by Nikica

^ Could be a load of mince as the papers generally lie but at the same time, could also be realistic especially if he is in fact in last year of contract as it says. Cheap as chips.

The lad is pretty talented and the RB in Belgium's 'golden generation'. He'd be great for you but I expect Coleman to come into how own under Martinez so not sure the Belgian is needed. Still, it's great to have options.

He does play right back for Belgium, but that's only because all of our "real" right backs are dog shite. He plays as a centre back for Ajax and that's his best position. If at all possible I'd prefer a left-footed centre back as Distin is most in need of replacing (that Hector Moreno maybe?), but I'd be happy with Alderweireld as well if he's the best value for money. Two right footed centre backs doesn't have to be a problem.

Guest Nikica

He does play right back for Belgium, but that's only because all of our "real" right backs are dog shite. He plays as a centre back for Ajax and that's his best position. If at all possible I'd prefer a left-footed centre back as Distin is most in need of replacing (that Hector Moreno maybe?), but I'd be happy with Alderweireld as well if he's the best value for money. Two right footed centre backs doesn't have to be a problem.

Well, if you sign him to play CB I agree he would be a great option, and probably a starter.

You're Belgian then, yeah?

Well, if you sign him to play CB I agree he would be a great option, and probably a starter.

You're Belgian then, yeah?

Yep.

He's only 24 but he's got 29 international caps and a fair bit of European experience btw (16 Champions League games, 18 Europa League games).

Guest Nikica

Yep.

He's only 24 but he's got 29 international caps and a fair bit of European experience btw (16 Champions League games, 18 Europa League games).

Yep, he's a talented player. He's be a great signing for Everton and he's exactly the type of player you should be looking at under Roberto Martinez.

I don't wanna derail the thread but what do you think for next summer? Looks like you will qualify above Croatia.

Guest Nikica

Yeah, I've saw hom play a fair few times before but obviously nowhere near as much as you wil have with you being Belgian.

He seems to be like some of the other Belgian defenders of this generation - strong, smart, great technical ability, good passing from deep and good in the air. Would you agree with that as you've seen him regularly? Or am I giving him too much credit? What are his main weaknesses in your opinion?

Yep, he's a talented player. He's be a great signing for Everton and he's exactly the type of player you should be looking at under Roberto Martinez.

I don't wanna derail the thread but what do you think for next summer? Looks like you will qualify above Croatia.

It does. I can't tell you how happy I was when you guys beat Croatia :D We do still have an away game against Croatia though, but we have a better goal difference. I do expect us to qualify and I hope we'll do well in Brazil. I am definitely derailing the thread now but the next generation of Belgian talent is already establishing itself at the moment. 17 year old Zakaria Bakkali has become a starter for PSV and he's done well so far, 19 year olds Massimo Bruno and Dennis Praet are doing well for Anderlecht, 18 year old Adnan Januzaj has apparently been doing very good for Manchester United but it might be a little early to expect a lot of him this season and this kid just got into the Anderlecht team:

He only turned 16 two months ago. That pass on 3:30 in particular is incredible. That was on his debut for Anderlecht last week. He got into the starting line up this week.

Guest Nikica

It does. I can't tell you how happy I was when you guys beat Croatia :D We do still have an away game against Croatia though, but we have a better goal difference. I do expect us to qualify and I hope we'll do well in Brazil. I am definitely derailing the thread now but the next generation of Belgian talent is already establishing itself at the moment. 17 year old Zakaria Bakkali has become a starter for PSV and he's done well so far, 19 year olds Massimo Bruno and Dennis Praet are doing well for Anderlecht, 18 year old Adnan Januzaj has apparently been doing very good for Manchester United but it might be a little early to expect a lot of him this season and this kid just got into the Anderlecht team:

He only turned 16 two months ago. That pass on 3:30 in particular is incredible. That was on his debut for Anderlecht last week. He got into the starting line up this week.

Hahaha, it was a shock to me! Just wish we could have started winning games a bit earlier! Yeah I expect you to get at least a point in Croatia and you do have the superior GD - I was looking at the table the other day and I will be surprised if you don't finish first.

I'm backing you to make QF in Brazil and possibly even SF if you play above yourself. The reasons I am going with QF is it's in SA, not Europe, and I still feel your team is a tournament away from being close to its potential. I think Euro 2016, 2018 and Euro 2020 will be the tournaments where you're at your best as most of your best players will be in their prime and even those who aren't will have decent enough experience in major leagues (eg Lukaku will be 22/23 in 2016, Hazard 24/25). I feel next year is a tournament too early but I'd love to be proven wrong. I'm a big fan of your current generation.

I know Bakkali and Januzaj but not familiar with the three Anderlecht boys, I will keep a look out for them. Januzaj looks great and the big talent in the Man U youth team (most of their youth propsects are overrated and probably won't make it but he looks the real deal).

That video is indeed impressive, although youtube videos can be very misleading. The pass you refer to is reminscent of Isco's the other night for Benzema's first goal. I bet you hope he will become as good as Isco!

Edited by Nikica

If Alderweireld keepshis head cool, then the only EFC CB that could compete with him would be Jags, the rest would be inferior. So if you have doubts about his usefulness for EFC... I mean, he's very much a defending defender, though the precision and force of his shots are pretty much unequalled.

Good.

We do need defensive reinforcements if the past couple of games are anything to go by (I'm not sure Distin is going to be able to adapt tbh).

I agree, Jags showed last night and against Blackburn that he has ability in his locker(some great passes from him last night) with Jags it's going to be a consistency thing imo, however with Distin he looks lost, he was all over the place in that game, gave the ball away loads. If Martinez is going to play that way then i think Distin's days looked numbered.

"It's true that Everton have made an approach for Alderweireld," Soren Lerby told Gazet van Antwerpen.<br /><br />"But there are other concrete options. Toby will now have to decide which team he sees as the biggest challenge."