IGNORED

Toby Alderweireld

http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/voetbal/ajax/21725914/__Acht_miljoen_voor_Alderweireld__.html

The article says Ajax have agreed to a £6.8m deal with Norwich over centre back Toby Alderweireld. He'll now decide whether he wants to join them and see if personal terms can be agreed. Then it says that "in the background, there's still interest from Everton". So we've not made him or Ajax an offer, yet. Can't see us signing another centre back either.

http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/voetbal/ajax/21725914/__Acht_miljoen_voor_Alderweireld__.html

The article says Ajax have agreed to a £6.8m deal with Norwich over centre back Toby Alderweireld. He'll now decide whether he wants to join them and see if personal terms can be agreed. Then it says that "in the background, there's still interest from Everton". So we've not made him or Ajax an offer, yet. Can't see us signing another centre back either.

I can if Heitinga is part of the deal

Ajax have already signed a replacement though. A Holland U21 centre back from FC Utrecht for £3.3m.

Johnny has always said he wants to have one final fling at Ajax, it could make sense even if they have a young replacement.

Johnny has always said he wants to have one final fling at Ajax, it could make sense even if they have a young replacement.

He's also said a couple of times that he isn't ready for a return to Holland yet. I also don't think they are very keen on him or his wages.

Hasn't Heits said he wants to retire in Holland? I thought he wanted to go back to Spain first and then retire in Holland or am I talking pony? Btw has anyone seen any pictures with Heitinga in for the pre season training?

He's said that he wanted to go to another foreign league (at the time, he was close to joining Fenerbahce) before going back to Ajax. So I don't think he's willing to go back just yet, unless he really has no other options. Obviously he can't just show up to an Ajax training session and tell them he's signing for them either.

You can't blame any player for declining a move to Norwich, but wasn't all up on this Alderweireld character so did a little research and actually seems a decent player and something for the future. Hope Liverpool don't get him and would be fine if we could bring him in ourselves and with recent transfer activity here, anything could materalize, but will have to keep a watch on this one.

Alderweireld is actually a really good CD. When he played with Vertonghen at Ajax, I preferred Alderweireld cause he was the more defensive minded one of the two. Though Vertonghen is perhaps the better footballer (better passing, better shots), I'd think Alderweireld is the more reliable CB.

Alderweireld is actually a really good CD. When he played with Vertonghen at Ajax, I preferred Alderweireld cause he was the more defensive minded one of the two. Though Vertonghen is perhaps the better footballer (better passing, better shots), I'd think Alderweireld is the more reliable CB.

Cant see it

that better?

:P

Belgian newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws is reporting Everton and Alderweireld's agent will be meeting each other later this week.

(http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/950/Buitenlands-Voetbal/article/detail/1669095/2013/07/15/Everton-mengt-zich-in-strijd-om-Alderweireld.dhtml)

Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf is reporting Alderweireld said after Ajax' friendly against RKC that Everton is one of a number of foreign clubs with an interest in him and that they want to meet this week.

(http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/voetbal/ajax/21732003/__Alderweireld_in_beeld_bij_Everton__.html)

He's definitely turned down Norwich and earlier in the summer a move to Leverkkusen collapsed because of Ajax' demands. He's in the last year of his contract and apparently he'd have to cost £6.9m.

I'd be very happy with this signing.

I think Distin and Jags are both on borrowed time under Martinez.

By that i take it you know enough about him to think he's better suited to the prem than Distin or Jagielka. ?

Edited by Bill

I'd be happy as well. He's tall and strong, but not overly fast. In terms of physique and pace, he's similar to Vertonghen. He's also got that good long diagonal pass and an incredibly powerful shot. He's a 1.86 meter tall centre back, but he's actually taken corner kicks for Belgium a couple of times in the past. He doesn't drive the ball into the midfield like Vertonghen does, but he's definitely much more comfortable on the ball and a better passer than Jagielka and Distin. He is right footed though, I would really like another left-footed centre back, but if the people in charge aren't sold on any left-footed centre backs Alderweireld will do :D I just hope there'll also be money left for 1 or 2 central midfielders if we do get him.

This season is most likely going to Distins last season for us I can't see his contract being renewed again. It could even be his last season as a professional footballer. Or he could go back to France drop down a level or join another premier league team. So Johnny would have already been gone by the end of the new season by either a transfer of his current deal expires that would leave us with Jagielka, Alcaraz, Duffy and stones who could play as a centre back. With only one of those currently being established centre half in our team currently.

This season we have got defencive options but the season after that we could have lost two of those and thus so it is only natural we invest money on a centre half now whilst he is available giving him time to settle into the premier league or we could wait till next season any buy a replacement for Heitinga and will have to wait a while until Heitingas replscement is accustomed to the premier league.

Jags hasn't exactly shone so far, albeit its only one game in aha.

I don't quite see the point in buying another CB yet, because other positions need attending to first but it's numbers and should see us with a much stronger 'squad' than last year (departures permitting).

He's done well to get to 23 caps, big achievement considering he's 2 years younger than his competition Kompany, Vermaelen, and Vertonghen.

Those are probably all as a right back though as we don't have any decent, actual right backs.