IGNORED

The Open Golf Championship

Claire

This competition starts this week in Hoylake which is very near where I live (and Mark too!). Im really excited about it its madness here at the moment the place is full of fat americans and television cameras. The Conservative Office where I do a lot of work is actually on the golf course land so I think Im going to spend the week there so I can see all the famous people. Tiger Woods has actually booked the whole of the hotel which is in the woods behind my house and the Sky coverage is coming from my own school.

However not everyone round here is looking forward to it. People are complaining about the fact that there will be no public transport for two weeks and the amount of council money being spent on suppose improvements to the town.

Anyway heres a picture of the course looks very pretty i suppose not that I know anything about golf!!

http://www.royal-liverpool-golf.com/course.htm

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone play? I was very proud of my 11 handicap & was seriously looking @ single figures for a while.

Then My self, My Motor cycle & some bitumen had an incident.

As I bounced down the road on my head I also ruined me shoulder as well.

No more golf.

Er...quite like it meself. Used to play a fair amount but not recently...don't mind watching a bit on the TV but I'll certainly not be sat in front of it for four days. If a Brit looks like winning I'll watch the end but if it's another Tiger fest forget it.

Er...quite like it meself. Used to play a fair amount but not recently...don't mind watching a bit on the TV but I'll certainly not be sat in front of it for four days. If a Brit looks like winning I'll watch the end but if it's another Tiger fest forget it.

39891[/snapback]

Look out for a golfer called Nick Dougherty hes a local lad from Liverpool met him a few times hope he does well

were about is hoylake, mite go up there and spend the day there with the old woman and the evil thing i call a brother :P try and get a famous person to buy me a pint  B) or i buy me own  :(   either way i get a pint tho  :)

40036[/snapback]

Its on the Wirral right at the top on the Welsh side by the River Dee

And fish yeah nich dougherty is the spice boy

Australia's Ben Bunny is in the last group out. Rumour has it that American veteran Fred Funk shook his hand and said "thank you" on the practice green. When Bunny asked "thank you for what?", Funk replied: "Because I've no longer got the most ridiculous name in golf."

:lol::lol: ..my wife has a stuffed rabbit called "Benjamin Bunny", gives a new meaning to the crowd shouting, "Get in the hole!!" :lol:

Bollocks. Sadly it's just another "well known fact" that is really a modern myth.

There is no universally accepted derivation for the word 'golf.' One of the most common misconceptions is that the word GOLF is an acronym for Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden. This at least is definitely not true.

The first documented mention of the word 'golf' is in Edinburgh on 6th March 1457, when King James II banned ‘ye golf’, in an attempt to encourage archery practice, which was being neglected.

Before the creation of dictionaries, there was no standardised spelling of any given word. People wrote words phonetically. Goff, gowf, golf, goif, gof, gowfe, gouff and golve have all been found in documents in Scotland.

It seems most likely that the terms golf, chole and kolf, which were the names for a variety of medieval stick and ball games in Britain and in continental Europe, are all derived from a common word of a pre-modern European language, following Grimm's grammatical law, which details the clear phonetic similarities of these words.

Golf (and chole and kolf) are all presumed to have originally meant 'club'. Golf has also been associated with the German word for club 'kolbe', (Der Kolben). It is also probably related to the Dutch word and game 'kolven'.

I went to Hoylake last night and the place was buzzing full of the most amazing looking men you've ever seen!! Cant wait to go back tomorrow night!

40462[/snapback]

AND YOU SAY WE'VE GOT ONE TRACK MINDS, WITH SHEDS AND SEX AND SHEDS AND BEER AND SHEDS AND FOOTBALL AND SHEDS.

Shame on you young lady.

ATB

Mac