IGNORED

Name a player you think is underrated from each of the 'top five' European leagues

Guest Nikica

You can name more than one if you like, just thought it would be an interesting thread. I've kept it to the top five, most well renowned leagues as there will be huge variation between who watches what on here.

A few names stand out for me. Feel free to agree or disagree as that's what football is all aboot:

PL - Hatem Ben Arfa. He has all the talent in the world but it's not being fulfilled. Don't think Pardew is getting the best out of him and Ben Arfa strikes me as someone who would really flourish if he moved to a really top team with a top manager. Probably a controversial shout as he's not exactly performing brilliantly right now and his attitude is open to debate, but in terms of talent he is brilliant;

Serie A - Antonio Di Natale. A rare player who got better as he aged. He was a good striker in his twenties but didn't receive enough praise. He then became a world-class striker, and the key to Udinese's improvement in Serie A, but he wasn't considered as such by some. He's starting to wind down a bit now, but he's been brilliant;

Bundesliga - Thomas Muller. Not as talented with a ball at his feet as the likes of Robben, Ribery, Gotze et al but he's a highly intelligent player who goes under the radar sometimes. With the odd exception, Bayern and Germany generally look like worse teams when he's not on the park as he links up so well with his team-mates. He's on the shortlist for the Ballon D'or and it's fully deserved;

La Liga - Ever Banega. Perhaps a strange choice in terms of form as Valencia are struggling and he apparently has a bad attitude. He is an intelligent midfielder, has a good engine when fully fit, can pass, can tackle, is composed under pressure, and can even chip in with the odd goal. He's like Arturo Vidal - an all-round midfielder and good at everything. Like Ben Arfa there are questions marks over his attitude, but given Valencia's struggles it's surprising that he hasn't moved on. You never hear him mentioned amongst the best midfielders in Europe, and nobody seems to have come in for him. I guess that's perhaps because of his disciplinary problems but he's generally performed well for Valencia and form is temporary and class is permanent;

Ligue 1 - Blaise Matuidi. Every time I watch PSG play the guy impresses me. He is a really solid defensive midfielder who offers the platform for Cavani, Zlatan, Lavezzi et al to showcase their talents. Good on the ball and versatile too.

There are plenty of other options but these guys are some good nominations to start with. Perhaps people can give their opinion and we can all comment on the players mentioned.

Edited by Nikica

Agree with most except Thomas Müller. He isnt under-rated at all. His nomination to Ballon D'or proves just that.

You could also make an arguement for Coleman in the PL

Coleman is definitely underrated. I doubt he'll stay that way if he improves his consistency.

I think Bradley is underrated in Serie A for Roma. He comes back after an month-layover from injury and scores the game-winner with a well-placed shot. He reminds me a bit of McCarthy in that he sits behind-the-scenes and breaks up play -- the quiet midfielder.

Coleman is definitely underrated. I doubt he'll stay that way if he improves his consistency.

I think Bradley is underrated in Serie A for Roma. He comes back after an month-layover from injury and scores the game-winner with a well-placed shot. He reminds me a bit of McCarthy in that he sits behind-the-scenes and breaks up play -- the quiet midfielder.

I have always been a fan of Bradley. He was my fave to replace Fellaini. Now very happy with McCarthy though

Sead Kolasinac, left back, Shalke 04. Mattia De Sciglio, left back, AC Milan Nicolai Boilesen, left back Ajax Lucas Digne, left back, Paris St Germain Nacho Monreal, left back, Malaga I'm just looking out for Possible replacement for Baines tbh!!! :lol: De Sciglio is the best out of the bunch by a country mile but would cost maybe upwards of £20 mill :crying: I like Monreal really and I think he will fit in perfectly with Roberto's philosophy. Hope this counts Nikica!!!! :guns:

Agree with most except Thomas Müller. He isnt under-rated at all. His nomination to Ballon D'or proves just that.

You could also make an arguement for Coleman in the PL

Fair point. The thing about Tam Muller is that he generally flies under the radar. I suppose he's getting the recognition now, so the thread is more about 'with his nomination he's finally getting the mainstream credit he deserves', which probably means he isn't underrated any more.

Jona - I agree that Di Sciglio looks a real talent. I don't buy the 'new Maldini' hyperbole (every young player is talked up as the new someone to be fair), but he has every chance of becoming a world-class left-back. Monreal has been such a bit-part player at Arsenal that you'd forgotten he had signed for them lol. I agree that he's very talented though and is better than being back-up to Gibbs at Arsenal.

As for the Coleman debate, I was thinking of mentioning an Everton player or two, but I didn't want anyone to think I was sucking up with me being a neutral on an Everton forum. I considered letting that be known and adding in an 'Everton nomination' as well, but decided against it. For the record, I agree that Coleman is absolute quality and still generally underrated, and had I selected an Evertonian he'd probably have been my pick.

Edited by Nikica

I would say Distin has to be one of the most under rated premiership players of all time... how he's remained under the radar for France all these years I'll never know. In his time here he's easily been one of the finest centre backs in the league. Had Wenger signed him 10 years ago we'd be talking about a seasoned international.

Dont know if underrated is the right word, but there are about 4-5 players Id love to have at Everton from Dortmund; İlkay Gündoğan, Hummels, Leitner (though hes on loan apparently), Reus... They have a great team, and Ive not mentioned the obvious ones...

Not from the leagues mentioned above now, but Younes Belhanda is a very good player. Remember seeing him once or twice before he moved and being impressed (so much so, I bought him in FM2013 and he basically won me the league!). Seems hes continuing his good form in Ukraine, but dont get coverage of that league here.

Like has been said, Müller hasnt been underrated, at least not this year, but he is a player Ive admired since the WC in 2010 and hes certainly not gotten the plaudits he deserves up til now.

From the Premier league... Maybe not underrated but celebrated enough in my opinion - Eriksen was a bloody bargain buy for Spurs.

In terms of Chelsea I'm going to add Ramires - doesn't grab the headlines at all with all of their superstars but he's a mighty fine player - one of my favourites for what he does. A similar case could be put forward for Lucas at Liverpoo.

I can't really comment on the other leagues as I don't follow/watch them enough apart from Champs League and the odd La Liga game.

I haven't been following other leagues for a couple of years, but a few players from the Premier League spring to mind:

Per Mertesacker - Rightly slated for being off the pace in his first season at Arsenal. Too slow, turning circle of a tank, not dominate enough in the air. But his turn around in his second and so far third season in the prem have seen him become the leader in defence that Arsenal have been screaming out for for years. Has been the most solid and reliable of Arsenal's centre-backs over the last year or so and provides a nice contrast to Koscielny's rashness in the gunner's back-line, with his own defensive solidarity and composure.

Morgan Scheindlerlin - Flies right under the radar this fella. Seems to have avoided all the hype that other Southampton youngsters like Shaw and Clyne have received after the Saints debut season in the Premier League, but provides a solid base (along with Wanyama this term) for Southampton's midfield to be built upon. Great young deep-lying playmaker that still brings a lot to the table defensively (bit like Barry in that regard). I'd absolutely love him at Everton if we could some how steal him away.
Fabian Delph - Seems to have finally found his feet this season after his move to Villa from Leeds all the way back in 2009 at 19 years of age. Shows a great deal of class on the ball for central/defensive midfielder (comparable to Dembele at spurs), probably a relic from his days spent as a winger at Leeds. Provides a good amount of energy in the centre of the park with his interceptions and tackling when off-the-ball, while his dribbling is a great asset for the villians in their favoured counter-attacking style of play. Could be a smokey for the English world cup squad, though I doubt he'll get the amount of attention he deserves while plying his wears at Aston Villa.

good shout on distin....benayoun was always underrated i thought

Distin and Coleman are good Everton ones and I always rated Benayoun. Never quite understood why the shite were so keen to get rid of him for Joe Cole a few seasons a go. Seemed like a bit of madness and "grass is always greener" thinking on their behalf.

Ben Davies is underrated in my opinion. Whenever I watch him play I've been impressed. Rarely gives the ball away, he's quick, composed and has a very good left foot. If we were to replace Baines then I would love him at Everton. When Neil Taylor was injured I thought it was 50/50 as to which one was the best but since Taylor's been playing recently, it's quite obvious that Davies is ahead of him. Don't get me wrong Neil Taylor is a very good left back, but he doesn't have as much influence in a game as Ben Davies has. Davies is a very down to earth lad as well, still lives with his parents, and a fluent Welsh speaker. Top bloke!

I haven't been following other leagues for a couple of years, but a few players from the Premier League spring to mind:

Per Mertesacker - Rightly slated for being off the pace in his first season at Arsenal. Too slow, turning circle of a tank, not dominate enough in the air. But his turn around in his second and so far third season in the prem have seen him become the leader in defence that Arsenal have been screaming out for for years. Has been the most solid and reliable of Arsenal's centre-backs over the last year or so and provides a nice contrast to Koscielny's rashness in the gunner's back-line, with his own defensive solidarity and composure.

Morgan Scheindlerlin - Flies right under the radar this fella. Seems to have avoided all the hype that other Southampton youngsters like Shaw and Clyne have received after the Saints debut season in the Premier League, but provides a solid base (along with Wanyama this term) for Southampton's midfield to be built upon. Great young deep-lying playmaker that still brings a lot to the table defensively (bit like Barry in that regard). I'd absolutely love him at Everton if we could some how steal him away.
Fabian Delph - Seems to have finally found his feet this season after his move to Villa from Leeds all the way back in 2009 at 19 years of age. Shows a great deal of class on the ball for central/defensive midfielder (comparable to Dembele at spurs), probably a relic from his days spent as a winger at Leeds. Provides a good amount of energy in the centre of the park with his interceptions and tackling when off-the-ball, while his dribbling is a great asset for the villians in their favoured counter-attacking style of play. Could be a smokey for the English world cup squad, though I doubt he'll get the amount of attention he deserves while plying his wears at Aston Villa.

I agree with you on Delph and especially Scheinderlin -- he is extremely underrated. Delph had a rough start considering all the hype from when he was younger, but I like the looks of him now.