IGNORED

Beckham owning a franchise in the MLS

I'm guessing most have heard about this? I wasn't going to put anything until I read this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24751629

The news that David Beckham is to resume his love affair with Major League Soccer (MLS) will surprise few in North America.

It has long been known that the 38-year-old would take up the option of becoming a team owner, after his playing days ended.

Indeed, this formed part of his initial contract when he joined LA Galaxy in 2007, at the end of which he had - according to Forbes - earned $255m (£159m).

Brought in to aid the growth of MLS, by the time he stepped away from the Galaxy in 2012, the league had added seven new teams.

Beckham's link with Miami was on the lips of MLS commissioner Don Garber back in July. It was then reported in August that Mr and Mrs B were in the market to purchase the Versace mansion in the South Beach area of Miami, originally valued at $125m (£78m).

The rumour mill has been turning ever since, but this most recent announcement appears to confirm what many had known for months.

MLS is not like any other football league. The game itself is the same, of course, but much else will be quite alien to those familiar with football in almost every other nation.

If you are au fait with other North American sports, such as the NFL or NBA - American football and basketball respectively - then you will already have a head start in understanding MLS, and the reason Beckham's bid for a club would be anything but straightforward.

Firstly, Beckham was unlikely to be granted ownership of a current club - MLS preferring to use his star status to tap into a new market - and so, with no promotion or relegation, the former England international would have to wait for the league to welcome an 'expansion' team.

MLS currently boasts 19 teams, including three in Canada, five on the west coast of the United States, heavy emphasis in the north east (New York, New England, Washington DC, Philadelphia and Columbus), as well as two in Texas and a general spread across the central belt (Chicago, Kansas City, Colorado and Salt Lake).

It has its heart set on reaching 24 teams by 2020, although joining US football's top table is by invitation only and is not achieved by success on the field, rather by a whole host of criteria.

A key element is the health of the local area, and its hunger for the beautiful game. Is there political, media and fan support? Does the team have its own stadium? Can the local market sustain a football team? Do the owners have the passion, management savvy and financial clout to be deserving of an MLS team?

The reason is that MLS remains in its infancy and abides by a strict business model. That means being operated as a single entity, such that each of the 19 teams is 'owned' by the league but run by investors who are - in a sense - shareholders. They make decisions about the league as a whole and not just their own club.

The NFL's new TV deal kicks in after this season, and runs through to the end of 2022. It's worth $3bn (£1.9bn) a year. Compare that with the current deal that MLS has with NBC, reportedly worth just $10m (£6.2m) a year.

Add to the equation the billions swirling around college sport - in 2010, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) signed a 14-year TV deal to cover men's basketball worth $10.8bn (£6.7bn) - and it is clear that in a saturated sports market, football plays fourth or fifth fiddle.

It is vital, therefore, that new additions, carefully selected, add to the growth and are not a drain on the limited resources.

True, MLS continues to grow - but it has not always been the case, and Miami was once a dirty word in US football circles.

The south Florida city has previously dipped its toe into MLS waters, with Miami Fusion joining in 1998, two years after the league was launched. A combination of lack of local interest (they were averaging crowds of 11,000 at the end), limited corporate support and a new league unable to financially prop up a struggling team, meant the Fusion folded at the end of the 2001 season.

At the same time, and for similar reasons, Florida lost its other franchise, Tampa Bay Mutiny. MLS, just six years in, was haemorrhaging and would begin the 2002 season with only eight teams.

But to go from that low in 2002 to 19 teams at the start of 2012, with most now housed in their own stadiums - as opposed to sharing NFL grounds or baseball arenas - illustrates that the popularity of MLS has grown significantly in the US.

As well as national coverage, each club has its own local TV deals. And the mere fact there are cities now queuing up to join (Atlanta, San Antonio, Phoenix, Minnesota, San Diego, Las Vegas, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh and St Louis have all expressed an interest), suggests the league has recovered to such an extent that it is ready to return to Florida.

Major honours won: Six Premier League titles, one Champions League, two FA Cups, four Community Shields, one Intercontinental Cup, one La Liga title, one Supercopa de Espana, two MLS Cups, one Ligue 1 title

Miami, if confirmed, would be the third of the planned five expansion teams, with the Manchester City-backed New York City FC set to join for the 2015 season. And the Sunshine State even looks like having two teams back in MLS, with Orlando City - formerly the Austin Aztex franchise and coached by former Everton and Stoke midfielder Adrian Heath - expected to have their membership rubber-stamped some time soon.

Much as the game in England had to after the 1980s, when all but the hardcore were distancing themselves from the sport, MLS has worked hard to alter perceptions and boost the popularity of the game.

Corporate America is on board, TV coverage is stronger and the fan base is expanding: Orlando City's game against Charlotte Eagles in the USL Pro Championship - effectively the third tier of US soccer - in September was watched by more than 20,000 fans.

Having Beckham on board, in a region of the USA which has a chequered past, will undoubtedly allow Florida's football to flourish.

Reports suggest Beckham and his backers will be awarded the Miami franchise for a cut-price $25m (£15.6m).

Compare this with the $70m (£43.7m) being asked of Orlando and the $100m (£62.4m) that NYCFC has handed over for expansion rights, and you quickly realise that - arguably - MLS needs Becks more than he needs them.

Edited by Matt
double quoted

I can't abide anything to do with David Beckham.

Overrated, hyperbole cock sucker of a player.

It's just a relief he's just about finished as a player now. Complete exaggeration of a playing individual if ever there was one.

Definitely disagree. I'm very thankful for David Beckham coming over to the MLS, even though he was past his best years. He did a lot to raise awareness of the sport and at least got people talking about it more over here.

He always acted like a professional on the field and he would whip in the most beautiful of crosses. I was sad to see him leave for PSG. I can see why folks may have hated all the camera time he got, but he's a charismatic guy and just oozes class.

My opinion, of course.

Charismatic guy who oozes class? He can barely even speak properly and refuses to get off that fence, not beause he's a 'nice guy', buy because his image is so manufactured that he's been told if he says anything controversial, his nice guy facade might slip and it might hurt the income made from his 'brand'. Mr fucking diplomacy.

Professional on the field? How many times was he sent off? He argued with players, fans, kicked a ball at an injured player's head. He definitely wasn't professional off the field - signing a massive contract with LA Galaxy and then fucking off whenever he could to play for England or to arrange loan deals with the worst Milan team of the last two decades, the fucking retirement home FC.

I respect you guys' views generally, but the fact that you're flattering Beckham is my problem with him - even decent, rational people often seem to be taken in by his brand and his huge level of celebrity.

As for his ability as a player, he was a good player for Man United, and sometimes very good, but his career was finished by the time he went to Real Madrid, where he was average for three and a half seasons. My favourite argument in favour of his as a player is 'you don't play for Man U, RM and MIlan if you're not a top player'. Generally, that's true, but Beckham's case is such an anomaly that it has to be put in perspective. Michael Owen played for two of those clubs and Liverpool, Owen is hardly what you'd consider an all-time great. Also, RM and Milan both signed him to sell shirts - RM admitted they signed him and not Ronaldinho as the latter was 'too ugly'. They also sold Makelele at the same time, and immediately embarked on a pre-season tour of Asia, where Beckham was and still is extremely popular. It's telling that in Beckham's time there RM went through one of the most barren spells in their history. Who cares if RM and Milan signed him? They both did so for the wrong reasons, and he was pretty poor to average for both teams. You need to actually perform on the park while you're there, not just have their named printed on your nice shiny CV..

He's desperate for a knighthood. Fucking hell, if he wasn't such a thick cunt he might actually think about what a scummy, corrupt organisation the monarchy is and come to the realisation that a knighthood is not something to be cherished, far from it. Then there's him announcing that he didn't make the Olympic squad - how fucking big is his ego?

The major thing which disproves the claim that he 'oozes class' was announcing that he was giving his salary to charity at PSG. It was clear from the start that it was a tax evasion scheme yet people were acting like he was a fucking saint. His far more substantial image rights were unaffected, and in the aftermath of the press conference nobody could even name the charity he was apparently 'giving to. It's all me, me, me with that rat.Even if it had been genuine, anyone who tells the world that they give to charity is a major cunt. You do realise he also made a ton on sweatshop made shirts at PSG right? I don't remember him protesting against that - then again I doubt the ignorant fanny even knows what a sweatshop is. And let's not forget that he apparently cheated on his wife - it's telling that they didn't try to sue. I bet he's playing away all the time. Does tax evasion sound like the actions of a classy guy to you? Or is it alright because it's Beckham?

Oozes class my arse. He's just as big a cunt as many footballers, he's just at better at getting the media on side. He's a poster boy for the horrible as fuck 'celebrity culture' which pervades Western society. Of course he comes across as a nice guy in most interviews- he's told what to say and he doesn't wanna harm his brand does he? If it wasn't for his overrated 'looks' nobody would give a fuck about him, but we live in a sickeningly superficial world where appearance matters more than talent, brains and credibility so we have to put up with this narcissistic troglodyte. Generally I'd just ignore him like I do the other 'celebrity' parasites, but he's part of the sport I love so it makes it harder to forget about him.

He's a major cunt, and it's an absolute travesty that most of the world knows who he is, but many of these same people wouldn't know who the likes of Gerson, Di Stefano, Baresi, Van Basten, Romario, Garrincha etc are.

I hate him, his fake as fuck persona and the celebrity culture that he represents. Unbelievable that a seemingly quiet family man like Suarez is treated like Hitler while this cunt is elevated to sainthood. The era of celebrity culture, the Diana effect.

The best place I've seen on the internet in terms of looking past the bullshit and seeing what this guy is truly like is Bluemoon. Even RAWK seems to love him and they can't stand ex-Mancs! This clown's PR team is up there with Goebbels.

Loads of people thought Giggs was a great guy too, until his 'family man' shite was blown apart. That will never happen to Beckham as his PR team wouldn't allow it to.

Edited by Nikica

Charismatic guy who oozes class? He can barely even speak properly and refuses to get off that fence, not beause he's a 'nice guy', buy because his image is so manufactured that he's been told if he says anything controversial, his nice guy facade might slip and it might hurt the income made from his 'brand'. Mr fucking diplomacy.

Professional on the field? How many times was he sent off? He argued with players, fans, kicked a ball at an injured player's head. He definitely wasn't professional off the field - signing a massive contract with LA Galaxy and then fucking off whenever he could to play for England or to arrange loan deals with the worst Milan team of the last two decades, the fucking retirement home FC.

I respect you guys' views generally, but the fact that you're flattering Beckham is my problem with him - even decent, rational people often seem to be taken in by his brand and his huge level of celebrity.

As for his ability as a player, he was a good player for Man United, and sometimes very good, but his career was finished by the time he went to Real Madrid, where he was average for three and a half seasons. My favourite argument in favour of his as a player is 'you don't play for Man U, RM and MIlan if you're not a top player'. Generally, that's true, but Beckham's case is such an anomaly that it has to be out in perspective. Michael Owen played for two of those clubs and Liverpool, Owen is hardly what you'd consider an all-time great. Also, RM and Milan both signed him to sell shirts - RM admitted they signed him and not Ronaldinho as the latter was 'too ugly'. They also sold Makelele at the same time, and immediately embarked on a pre-season tour of Asia, where Beckham was and still is extremely popular. It's telling that in Beckham's time there RM went through one of the most barren spells in their history. Who cares if RM and Milan signed him? They both did so for the wrong reasons, and he was pretty poor to average for both teams. You need to actually perform on the park while you're there, not just have their named printed on your nice shiny CV..

He's desperate for a knighthood. Fucking hell, if he wasn't such a thick cunt he might actually think about what a scummy, corrupt organisation the monarchy is and come to the realisation that a knighthood is not something to be cherished, far from it. Then there's him announcing that he didn't make the Olympic squad - how fucking big is his ego?

The major thing which disproves the claim that he 'oozes class' was announcing that he was giving his salary to charity at PSG. It was clear from the start that it was a tax evasion scheme yet people were acting like he was a fucking saint. Even if it had been genuine, anyone who tells the world that they give to charity is a major cunt. You do realise he also made a ton on sweatshop made shirts at PSG right? I don't remember im protesting against that - then again I doubt the ignorant fanny even knows what a sweatshop is. And let's not forget that he apparently cheated on his wife - it's telling that they didn't try to sue. I bet he's playing away all the time. Does tax evasion sound like the actions of a classy guy to you? Or is it alright because it's Beckham

Oozes class my arse. He's just as big a cunt as many footballer,s he's just at better at getting the media on side. He's a poster boy for the horrible as fuck 'celebrity culture' which pervades f course he comes across as a nice guy in most interview s- he doesn't wanna harm his brand does he? If it wasn't for his overrated 'looks' nobody would give a fuck about him, but we live in a sickeningly superficial world where appearance matters more than talent, brains and credibility so we have to put up with this narcissistic troglodyte. Generally I'd just ignore him like I do the other 'celebrity' parasites, but he's part of the sport I love so it makes it harder to forget about him.

He's a major cunt, and it's an absolute travesty that most of the world knows who he is, but many of these same people wouldn't know who the likes of Gerson, Di Stefano, Baresi, Van Basten, Romario, Garrincha etc are.

I hate him, his fake as fuck persona and the celebrity culture that he represents.

So... do you like him or not like him??

I despise him, and make no apologies for doing so.

Slagging off Man City for 'buying titles' when he's followed the money all through his career. If there's one thing I hate it's a slimy hypocrite.

Landon Donovan (a man I expect you all hold in high esteem) and Fergie are two of the few men to have stood up to the corporate behemoth that is Brand Beckham. I mean people were saying Fergie was envious of Beckham's fame and money afterwards - this is a guy who was a far better manager than Beckham could ever hope to be as a player, and who will be remembered far longer than Beckham. This is the sort of superficial, fame-obsessed sycophancy we're up against in contemporary society.

Edited by Nikica

That's perfectly fine. I still like the guy. He did a lot for MLS.

He did a lot for himself.

Obviously I like you, and don't wanna fall out (same as you I expect as you haven't spit the dummy out over my comments). However, I think you're well off base on Beckham, and have fallen for his media tripe. To say that he 'oozes class' actually irritates me. The fact that a big-name player played in MLS probably endears him to you too as he helped your league (albeit only as a by-product of his own interests, which always come first). Just my belief.

Edited by Nikica

He did a lot for himself.

Obviously I like you, and don't wanna fall out (same as you I expect as you haven't spit the dummy out over my comments). However, I think you're well of base on Beckham, and have fallen for his media tripe. Just my belief.

It's fine you feel that way about me, but like I said, I'm more into what he's done for MLS.

Obviously, he'll do anything that benefits himself when making a deal -- like the deal he made to own a future club in the MLS for $25 million when he negotiated his contract -- as most rational people do. The typical buy-in for an MLS club is around $75-100 million. It makes it easier to expand the league when deals like the Beckham one are made, because even $25 million is a big chunk of change in the volatile American soccer market.

All in all, no hard feelings. You've probably had to deal with him more with him being from the UK. We've only experienced him for the last few years, and soccer's popularity(or lack thereof) in the USA has kept him under the radar a bit more.

It's fine you feel that way about me, but like I said, I'm more into what he's done for MLS.

Obviously, he'll do anything that benefits himself when making a deal -- like the deal he made to own a future club in the MLS for $25 million when he negotiated his contract -- as most rational people do. The typical buy-in for an MLS club is around $75-100 million. It makes it easier to expand the league when deals like the Beckham one are made, because even $25 million is a big chunk of change in the volatile American soccer market.

All in all, no hard feelings. You've probably had to deal with him more with him being from the UK. We've only experienced him for the last few years, and soccer's popularity(or lack thereof) in the USA has kept him under the radar a bit more.

Obviously he will do what's best for himself, as most footballers will. However, most footballers are called mercs or slated for that, whereas Beckham is elevated to sainthood. It's complete double standards.

That's my point - you seem to have a bias towards him because of the attention he brought to MLS. Had he never gone to America (as for being professional, going to a second-rate league when he could feasibly stayed in Europe? No offence), you probably wouldn't be that bothered about him, certainly not to the extent you are now.

Also, economic experts will tell you that he was involved in tax evasion and tried to dress it up as charity, to benefit his brand. Please explain to me how that, in any way, oozes class? Because if that was Suarez, Gerrard, Rooney, Lampard, you or me, we/they would and do take a lot of abuse (rightly).

To clarify, I actually used to like Beckham. When I was 20 (so about 2002) I bought his books, liked him etc. However, as I've grown older I've become far more aware of how the world works, politically and economically especially. Beckham represents a time in my life when I was asleep, and that's part of why I know he's a cunt - because I used to be exactly like his sycophants, and when I see them talking shite about what a great guy he was I think of my pre 2005 self - and I cringe.

Edited by Nikica

Obviously he will do what's best for himself, as most footballers will. However, most footballers are called mercs or slated for that, whereas Beckham is elevated to sainthood. It's complete double standards.

That's my point - you seem to have a bias towards him because of the attention he brought to MLS. Had he never gone to America (as for being professional, going to a second-rate league when he could feasibly stayed in Europe? No offence), you probably wouldn't be that bothered about him, certainly not to the extent you are now.

Also, economic experts will tell you that he was involved in tax evasion and tried to dress it up as charity, to benefit his brand. Please explain to me how that, in any way, oozes class? Because if that was Suarez, Gerrard, Rooney, Lampard, you or me, we/they would and do take a lot of abuse (rightly).

To clarify, I actually used to like Beckham. When I was 20 (so about 2002) I bought his books, liked him etc. However, as I've grown older I've become far more aware of how the world works, politically and economically especially. Beckham represents a time in my life when I was asleep, and that's part of why I know he's a cunt - because I used to be exactly like his sycophants, and when I see them talking shite about what a great guy he was I think of my pre 2005 self - and I cringe.

I guess I should've clarified that when I said he "oozes class" that I meant on the field.

And I do have a bias towards him for coming to the MLS, just as a have a bias towards the MLS, because I'm an American.

To be honest with you, I had no idea about the charity/tax evasion issue. I rarely paid attention to him after he left MLS for PSG. When he finally becomes an MLS club owner I won't pay attention to him much as Beckham the individual, but rather, I'll pay attention to how well his team does competitively and financially.

One thing you have to understand is that the Beckham I know is from his years playing in the MLS. I did know who he was before and after he came, but the one I paid attention to was the one with the Galaxy. I really only started following the game in 2006 and even then my interests were limited to Everton, USA national team, and MLS.

Edited by TonkaRoost

I guess I should've clarified that when I said he "oozes class" that I meant on the field.

And I do have a bias towards him for coming to the MLS, just as a have a bias towards the MLS, because I'm an American.

To be honest with you, I had no idea about the charity/tax evasion issue. I rarely paid attention to him after he left MLS for PSG. When he finally becomes an MLS club owner I won't pay attention to him much as Beckham the individual, but rather, I'll pay attention to how well his team does competitively and financially.

One thing you have to understand is that the Beckham I know is from his years playing in the MLS. I did know who he was before and after he came, but the one I paid attention to was the one with the Galaxy. I really only started following the game in 2006 and even then my interests were limited to Everton, USA national team, and MLS.

Fair enough, that's fairer, but I don't think he particularly oozes class on the park either. In terms of his ability, at the Mancs yes. In terms of his conduct, well let's just look at his disciplinary record and tendency to get involved with opponents and fans. Not that that makes him a cunt of course, as lots of players are like that and it's good to see the passion, but you certainly couldn't consider it 'classy'.

If you read into the tax evasion scheme you'll see how it works. It's so obvious what he was up to, and it worked as now we have people acting like he's a top man for it. Ugh.

Fair enough, I didn't know you only started watching football in 2006, and that you only watch the teams and leagues where you have a vested interest. Take it from someone who watched Real Madrid most weeks while he was there (in contrast, the dickheads who drone on about how great he was there were probably trying to pull tarty women in shite nightclubs when he played in La Liga on weekends), he was average at best until his last season, and even that season is exaggerated by his fanboys, as he made a contribution but he wasn't the driving force to their title that they would have you believe.

He's one of the most overrated cunts I have ever seen in my life, in every aspect. Everything about him - talent, 'charisma', how nice a guy he apparently is, 'charity work', his looks (bearing in mind I could name hundreds of better looking players, I'm not gay but I can tell if guys are good looking or not) - EVERYTHING about him is overstated. I hate overrated people who fool people into thinking that butter wouldn't melt and he qualifies more than most.

Edit: anyway, I can't be bothered debating this rat further. Been there, done that plenty of times and it never makes any difference.

Edited by Nikica

He at least deserves some credit for saying only positive things about SAF after the latter had trashed him in his book. It would have been all too easy to take the bait and give the press something to crow over.

That's the point I've been making though - how do we know he isn't actually raging? His PR team know that he can't rock the boat too much - if he was to criticise Ferguson it might turn all of world's plastic Mancs against him and in turn affect his popularity and income. Surely you can see this if you look beyond the surface? It's simple psychology and sociology - it's how the world works. He's either a coward who is too scared to speak his mind, or he's not in control of what he says in public due to advisers.

Also, is it a coincidence that it took about a week for him to reply - just in time to heighten promotion of his new book? Of course not. He's one of the most insincere characters I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. Everything he does has an agenda.

Besides, I downloaded Ferguson's book via torrent (fuck putting cash in that champagne socialist's pocket) and have read some of it - the Beckham chapter really isn't anything bad, it's been sensationalised by the media. If anything I'd say Ferguson has been generous to Beckham in saying that he could have went down as a Manc legend had he not been sidetracked - I don't see that as the case at all as he still made the most out of his relatively limited talent, despite the celebrity nonsense. Furthermore, had he stayed they'd never have signed Ronaldo, and arguably would never have wrestled the title back from the Arsenal Invincibles and Jose era,so Beckham and Mancs may well have been worse off than they are today.

Fergie was hardly wrong to say that Beckham was more interested in becoming a celebrity than a footballer circa 2000, was he? How can it be offensive when it's the truth and something within Beckham's control?

Edited by Nikica

I agree with everything you say about "celebrity" culture Nikica, I just don't agree with you assessment of Beckham's character..On the one hand you say he's thick but at the same time you're suggestion he's some PR genius; if all the stuff you say about him is true then (because I agree he's no intellectual by a long way) it's all run by people behind him and he's just a puppet surely? You can't have it both ways....there are clever people running his empire and if it ain't him then at worst he's being complicit, at best he's being manipulated.

He come across to me always as honest and sincere, and I don't believe he's bright enough to fake that so I think he believes what he says.

Part of my work years ago was spent in a voice-over recording studio and believe me I know 100% when someone is talking off the cuff and saying what they feel and when someone is following a script or parroting what they've been coached......even the best actors can't fake it so Beckham sure as shit can't.

Dont sit on the fence Nikica! :P

Good post even if I don't agree with it in its entirety. Personally I don't think Beckham himself is that bad, I think its more to do with the people behind the scenes who almost control his career. As a footballer, I think he was vastly overrated by the masses though.

I agree with everything you say about "celebrity" culture Nikica, I just don't agree with you assessment of Beckham's character..On the one hand you say he's thick but at the same time you're suggestion he's some PR genius; if all the stuff you say about him is true then (because I agree he's no intellectual by a long way) it's all run by people behind him and he's just a puppet surely? You can't have it both ways....there are clever people running his empire and if it ain't him then at worst he's being complicit, at best he's being manipulated.

He come across to me always as honest and sincere, and I don't believe he's bright enough to fake that so I think he believes what he says.

Part of my work years ago was spent in a voice-over recording studio and believe me I know 100% when someone is talking off the cuff and saying what they feel and when someone is following a script or parroting what they've been coached......even the best actors can't fake it so Beckham sure as shit can't.

Fair enough mate. I've calmed down a bit now. Implying that the guy is 'thick' was uncalled for on my part, as even if he isn't that bright, it's no reason to dislike someone. I'm coming more from the idea that he's not academically gifted or sharp, but he has been trained as a world-class diplomat and is now very media-friendly. As you say, though, if he genuinely was that daft then he would be manipulated and not to be held accountable for his brand. On the other hand, if he is faking it then he's clearly not as dumb as many suggest. I suppose you're right in a sense because if he has learned world-class diplomacy skills then he can't be totally daft. I realise I've simply repeated your argument back to you, but I'm doing so to concede that I may have been hasty above.

Dont sit on the fence Nikica! :P

Good post even if I don't agree with it in its entirety. Personally I don't think Beckham himself is that bad, I think its more to do with the people behind the scenes who almost control his career. As a footballer, I think he was vastly overrated by the masses though.

Thanks. I can see both yours and Mike's point in retrospect, but it's extremely difficult to assess just how complicit he is in all this. I'm not saying he's the reincarnation of Hitler or anything like that, but a lot of what he stands for is abhorrent to me, and his self-promotion is just too much to bear. Everything seems forced - like he is shoving himself down peoples' throats until they have no option but to like him. As I say above, it's hard to discern how much of this he himself is actually responsible for.

The weirdest thing about him though is that through this self-promotion his fans have become so devoted that anyone who dislikes him is vehemently attacked and accused of being 'jealous of his success'...despite the fact that his success directly emanates from celebrity culture and in terms of substantial achievements he's nowhere near many footballers of his generation, many of whom I and other Beckham detractors like. Why would we be jealous of Beckham's success but not theirs? Then there's all the charity nonsense, much of which seems to be tax dodge eg PSG. You can say that the responsibility for this lies with the fans, and not the subject of their adoration, but as with all celebrities, the subject (or their marketing team) has to take some responsibility too for manipulating the fans in the first place. That's part of why they are fans, after all. It's not exclusive to Beckham but his fans seem to be especially rabid.

Like I say, it's a lesson in how to promote yourself to the public. There's actually a lot to be learned about his life from a sociological perspective - the OU could probably do a course on it.

Obviously I agree with the bit about his playing ability but I'm really more concerned with all the off-field nonsense. I do however sort of resent the fact that because of matters external to football he's more celebrated than myriad superior footballers who didn't force things and simply let their feet do the talking, so the two are inextricably linked.

In other news, I hope everyone is doing okay. I expected the Spurs result (as I had said), but I was disappointed to see your result at the weekend.

Edited by Nikica