IGNORED

Freezing cold

Cornish Steve

Today, it is colder in Atlanta than it is in Anchorage, Alaska. When we awoke, the temperature was 8 degrees (Fahrenheit). It's not been this cold in about 25 years. Worse, the thermostat on our downstairs heating system appears to be faulty, and I must crawl into the loft every couple of hours to turn the heating back on!

Today, it is colder in Atlanta than it is in Anchorage, Alaska. When we awoke, the temperature was 8 degrees (Fahrenheit). It's not been this cold in about 25 years. Worse, the thermostat on our downstairs heating system appears to be faulty, and I must crawl into the loft every couple of hours to turn the heating back on!

Seen it on the news Steve.....looks spectacular but possibly not the most fun to live through.

Lots of flooding here, but not as bad as last Jan.

Went on a bit of a road trip just to get away after Xmas. Gave up in Queensland where the temps were in the 40's and humidity in the 70% region.....like a hot bath!

Bit cooler here at home in Central Coast NSW.....nice in the mid to high 20's and lower humidity.

Those in US/Canada have my absolute sympathy.

I was there in October last year and the weather was superb......can change so much though in Wisconsin, etc. They are called the 'flyover states', because if you can, you fly over them: lots and lots of nothing on the ground. So flat you can't see the horizon. Now 6ft deep in snow, you can see even less.

These posts reminded me. When we were first married, we had been saving up for a fridge. When we could finally afford it it was delivered in February of 1963, one of the coldest winters on record. On the first night that we had the fridge it was warmer inside the fridge than it was in the rest of the house! True.

These posts reminded me. When we were first married, we had been saving up for a fridge. When we could finally afford it it was delivered in February of 1963, one of the coldest winters on record. On the first night that we had the fridge it was warmer inside the fridge than it was in the rest of the house! True.

My brother was born during the blizzards of late January that year - almost unheard of in Cornwall. They couldn't make it to any hospital, so he was born in the village.

In 1963 I played for Yorkshire Amateur (based in Leeds). We were drawn at home in the first round of the old Amateur Cup against Eastwood Town. The game was postponed for eight consecutive weeks (there was a foot of snow on the pitch and it froze solid) and finally, the FA ordered us to play on a neutral ground. We played on Nottingham Forests ground, under lights, a novelty then. We won, and our 'prize' was an away game at Eastbourne in the next round! For those not good at geography, nearly a six hundred mile round trip. We drew and won the replay. We were then drawn away to Walthamstow Avenue in London in the last 16 but lost. Walthamstow were one of the top amateur teams at the time and had seven amateur internationals playing that day. Had a nice week-end in London though! That year there was no football played anywhere in England for several weeks.

1962/63 was when the FA Cup was thrown into chaos and about 100 matches were postponed in the early rounds and Manchester United must have lifted the trophy around September that year

Amusing when people complain about the temperature being eight degrees outside. God forbid they ever experience any weather that could be rightfully classifed as such. Get out of Georgia and go up to Wisconsin or Minnesota in winter so you can experience what actual "cold" weather represents.

Been through every element of weather that nature can produce. Tropical thunderstorms of epic proportions, snow, ice, blizzards, monsoon rains, hurricane force winds, even in close proximity with a tornado or two. They can be fun for the casual observer or watching on a screen from thousands of miles away from area of impact, but when you're caught up close and personal - not a pleasant experience to live through.