IGNORED

Hodgson - master or clown?

Have to say I'm not too inspired by England. Haven't been for a long time but under Hodgson I think expectation is lower than ever for me.

He seems to pick odd players like Cleverley, Milner, Welbeck and Henderson religiously. Leaving out players in form like Barry & Adam Johnson who have been in spectacular form.

I can't see us doing anything in this tournament.

Strangely I dont think he has done too badly in his time as manager so far. I agree with your comments regarding certain players but lets face it, every England manager that has gone before him has done exactly the same thing!

Hodgson has brought some new blood into the squad with players such as Barkley, Caulker, Lallana and Townsend not to mention some of the older players like Lambert and Osman.

In terms of the football itself, I have seen a fair bit of improvement. Nothing mind blowing but we have been structured and disciplined and at times played some decent football.

He has been a little unlucky in that he has inherited one of the worst England defences for almost as long as I can remember and I think our ability to be competitive in the WC will be determined by how strong that back 4 are.

At Fulham, I thought he was a good manager. At Liverpool, he was terrible. This seems to be the story of his career: He can be excellent or atrocious.

As for picking poor players, there are not a lot of quality English players right now. No surprise, in my opinion, since we've been left behind by countries that organize football leagues from a very early age.

I'd rather look directly into the sun than watch any England game, and lo and behold believe there's another boring pointless fucking fixture lined up sometime soon, when we could be getting on with something more relevant by way of domestics, but whether Hodgson is the right choice or not, remains up for debate at this premature stage it would appear. He did a fine job with Fulham (took the West Londoners to a UEFA Cup Final of all things if memory serves, a quite remarkable feat in retrospect) but his Anfield tenure was disappointing, but he's been hot and cold for most clubs he's been involved with. Don't get me wrong, he's a fine individual, a great man, but don't always wish success for some of his respective team involvements. Still insist Redknapp would have been a better choice for the national team.

I like Roy Hodgson.

Sky had a 90 minute special with him, Hoddle, Bevington (The FA's media/communications man) and Gary Neville. It was pretty interesting.

It was kind of funny at one point because they were talking about this new World Cup ball, it was getting to a point where they were being pulled in about needing to train with the ball, Bevington got sucked in slightly and said if necessary England could train with it this week.. then Roy interrupted and said it doesn't matter much because there's lots of time to train with it before the World Cup. He just has a no nonsense approach.

This is a friendly. His final 23 haven't been decided yet. He could still take Barry and Adam Johnson.

He could, but he wont.

Have to agree with Matt. Barring huge injury problems I think both players will miss out, this friendly was the time to give them a chance if he had any intention to do so

Guest Nikica

He seems like a very nice guy, but the way he's set up Liverpool and England to play football is prehistoric to say the least. He did well when he was younger to be fair to him, but I just think he's behind the times now.