IGNORED

September fixtures

As I am so new to this board, I'm hesitant to begin a new thread. Still, given the disappointing start to the season -- acknowledging, too, the exciting football when on the attack -- it's hard not to start looking forward to better results next month. Our August results have put us in a hole; there is surely general agreement that we "gave away" 4 points.

So, September. Not merely WBrom, about which a thread will begin at later date. "One game at a time" is sound advice, but the bigger picture also beckons. For me, of the 5 fixtures upcoming, the least important is Swansea in the League Cup. Before that tie, we have an international break, then 3 winnable games. And we badly need to win them, for obvious reasons: 9/13 @ WBrom, 9/18 Wolfsburg, 9/21 CP. The international break should provide needed time to improve the defense. Unfortunately, pride in having 3 of ours on England/international duty -- plus others for other countries -- is undercut somewhat by our feeling that we need Stones, Jags, and Baines, and all the others, to practice for Everton!

Even so, we should and must defeat WBrom. A draw won't suffice. A win, plus sufficient time to recover physically before the much-anticipated opening of our Europa League campaign, might plausibly provide psychological/emotional uplift in front of the Wolfsburg tie, another must-win. As is the Goodison fixture 3 days later v. CP. Mediocre play -- especially on defense -- in any of those 3 ties will be discouraging, dismaying, even.

We will expect to see Stones, Besic, Gibson, Atsu, not to mention Eto'o, possibly Pienaar (Kone? a September 1 loan?). It will be interesting to see the lineup for each of these 3 matches: WBrom, because of the poor start; Wolfsburg, because it's Europe; CP because it's a quick turn-around, but one that we should be able to handle, given that it's Goodison after Goodison. Do we or do we not have pretty good squad depth? These 3-in-8-days won't provide a definitive "yes," but they might suggest an ominous "no." We need 3 wins. Actually prefer 3 impressive wins.

Am I off-base in thinking the Swansea match is far less important than the 3 that precede it? Right now, it looks the least winnable. Only 2 days after CP? And much less important than the derby 5 days later. Really interesting to compare lineups in the 3-in-6-days (Wolfsburg, CP, Swansea). Again, a real test for squad depth, managing injuries, integrating new lads.

A win at Swansea would perhaps provide nice momentum going into the derby, but the other 3 matches are bigger. I'll gladly hope Ossie, Alcaraz, and Hibbert lead us to a 3-0 smashing of Swansea, but I'll be investing much more energy in the other 4 September fixtures. Indeed, if we are "desperate" to defeat Swansea in the League Cup, then things will have gone desperately pear-shaped by September 23.

Edited by Elston Gunnn

After being wrecked 6-3 (although I think Chelsea are going to give out a load of thumping this season), every game is important.

I'm not a fan of treating the League Cup with disdain. I can understand some of the reasons behind teams doing it, for example if you are chasing the league and European cup. But, for example, Man Utd the other night? Why do that? They have no European games etc. The League Cup is a way into Europe. Plus we have never won it. So I like us to try!!!

All league games are important. What's more important is that we get some confidence and fight back into our defensive play.

I am intrigued by several of RM's comments in this short piece, assuming he's being quoted accurately.

http://www.nsno.co.uk/everton-news/2014/09/october-return-for-injured-duo/

1. The news is, at first glance, that Kone and Oviedo will not play in any of the September fixtures, but will be ready "when September ends." That might simply be interpreted as Krasnodar (10/2) or ManU (10/5).

2. But Martinez is more precisely quoted as referring to "a big block of games, seven games in three weeks," which clearly refers to WBrom (9/13) through ManU (10/5). So I continue to think of the League Cup tie at Swansea as the least important -- as a purely practical matter -- of a very demanding 7-in-3-weeks. I understand Newty82's dissent from my view, and so will be interested to see how Martinez juggles the lineup over 7-in-3. I tend to think of this as, "Which 14 lads will play in this match?" And I speculate that against Swansea, Martinez will field a slightly less experienced team.

3. Back to Kone and Oviedo, and to this from RM: "We would feel confident if we can replicate the work we are doing in the next international break, and then wed be confident they will be available for the next block of games." I interpret this to mean that he's planning for Kone and Oviedo to return -- to "availability" -- beginning with the Aston Villa match on 10/18, i.e., after "the next international break."

4. So, to state the obvious, if Lukaku misses much more than the WBrom match, some combo of the following must surely happen: Eto'o will be exhausted, Mirallas will play striker in many matches, and/or Naismith will have to play up front, as opposed to his ideal role as AM.

5. Martinez is looking not merely at September fixtures, 5-in-2. He's looking at 7-in-3, the fixtures between this and the next international break. Lukaku's setback, Kone's tantalizing not-quite-readiness, Oviedo's will-he-even-be-"available"-in-October, and Barkley's no-news-isn't-good-news combine to portend, well, portentousness, or something.

6. But on the "Predict our result" thread, I'll probably predict 3 points every time. Maybe a draw v. Swansea. Just so we can play an extra match at Goodison, When more of our lads are available.

Edited by Elston Gunnn

Here's Roberto - somewhere between useful update and maddening double-talk/imprecision - on squad depth for next three matches.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2014/09/15/eto-o-and-distin-injury-boost

First big test of squad depth, as Everton play 3 matches in 6 days. This first Europa Leage Thursday/Sunday challenge will be relatively easy, as both matches are at Goodison. But that 3rd match on the 6th day [not to be confused with Dylan's "5th daughter, 12th night, 1st father, 2d mother, 7th son" hilarity], away to Swansea only 2 days after CP, must surely require massive changes. Unless Roberto's strategy will be to feature essentially the same, current-first-choice, lads for Wolfsburg and Swansea, and inserting a mostly different group in the Sunday tie with CP.

For me, this 3-in-6 presents an intriguing squad depth problem for RM, made more problematic because of long-term injuries to Barkley, Oviedo, Kone, Gibson, intermediate-term to Pienaar, Hibbert, short-term to Distin, Eto'o.

The video in the link is from the WBA post-game interview. Roberto deflects the interviewer's inquiry as to how he'll "juggle the resources" in upcoming matches, by referring to the "enjoyment" of competing in several different competitions. We then learn - maybe, for Roberto is perpetually optimistic - that he will choose his Wolfsburg 18 from the WBA 18, plus Eto'o, Distin, and Browning. No way Browning [right?], but if both Distin and Eto'o come into the squad for Wolfsburg, I'd guess Garbutt and one of Atsu/Besic/Osman would be dropped, probably Atsu. Ossie will surely be rewarded with a spot, both because of his service to the club, and because he showed well v. WBA.

I'll guess we'll then see some minor "juggling" for CP, and major juggling for Swansea. As RM is quoted as saying Hibbert "will be back" for Swansea, I'll guess he will be in the Swansea 18, and that Atsu, Besic, Osman, Garbutt, Alcarez, Gibson, Robles, Eto'o, maybe Hibbert will start v. Swansea. And 2 others. I suppose Oviedo and Kone might be "available" for Swansea, but I'm skeptical. That Pienaar isn't even mentioned by RM in this "injury boost" update implies he's not back soon. Not good.

An alternate "juggling scenario" might, of course, be to start essentially the same eleven v. Wolfsburg and Swansea, using a mostly different eleven in the middle fixture v. CP. But I'm guessing Roberto will see CP as more important than Swansea, and thus will try somehow to have the strongest feasible squad [14 who actually play] for the first 2, then juggle major changes away to Swansea, the relatively least important of the upcoming 3-in-6.

Will any player actually play 70-90 minutes in all 3??

Here's Roberto - somewhere between useful update and maddening double-talk/imprecision - on squad depth for next three matches.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2014/09/15/eto-o-and-distin-injury-boost

First big test of squad depth, as Everton play 3 matches in 6 days. This first Europa Leage Thursday/Sunday challenge will be relatively easy, as both matches are at Goodison. But that 3rd match on the 6th day [not to be confused with Dylan's "5th daughter, 12th night, 1st father, 2d mother, 7th son" hilarity], away to Swansea only 2 days after CP, must surely require massive changes. Unless Roberto's strategy will be to feature essentially the same, current-first-choice, lads for Wolfsburg and Swansea, and inserting a mostly different group in the Sunday tie with CP.

For me, this 3-in-6 presents an intriguing squad depth problem for RM, made more problematic because of long-term injuries to Barkley, Oviedo, Kone, Gibson, intermediate-term to Pienaar, Hibbert, short-term to Distin, Eto'o.

The video in the link is from the WBA post-game interview. Roberto deflects the interviewer's inquiry as to how he'll "juggle the resources" in upcoming matches, by referring to the "enjoyment" of competing in several different competitions. We then learn - maybe, for Roberto is perpetually optimistic - that he will choose his Wolfsburg 18 from the WBA 18, plus Eto'o, Distin, and Browning. No way Browning [right?], but if both Distin and Eto'o come into the squad for Wolfsburg, I'd guess Garbutt and one of Atsu/Besic/Osman would be dropped, probably Atsu. Ossie will surely be rewarded with a spot, both because of his service to the club, and because he showed well v. WBA.

I'll guess we'll then see some minor "juggling" for CP, and major juggling for Swansea. As RM is quoted as saying Hibbert "will be back" for Swansea, I'll guess he will be in the Swansea 18, and that Atsu, Besic, Osman, Garbutt, Alcarez, Gibson, Robles, Eto'o, maybe Hibbert will start v. Swansea. And 2 others. I suppose Oviedo and Kone might be "available" for Swansea, but I'm skeptical. That Pienaar isn't even mentioned by RM in this "injury boost" update implies he's not back soon. Not good.

An alternate "juggling scenario" might, of course, be to start essentially the same eleven v. Wolfsburg and Swansea, using a mostly different eleven in the middle fixture v. CP. But I'm guessing Roberto will see CP as more important than Swansea, and thus will try somehow to have the strongest feasible squad [14 who actually play] for the first 2, then juggle major changes away to Swansea, the relatively least important of the upcoming 3-in-6.

Will any player actually play 70-90 minutes in all 3??

You're thinking WAYYYYY too much into this. He'll play a revised team Thurs he'll have his strongest team out against Palace and then practically a reserve side out at Swansea.

3 points against Palace are an absolute must after a dodgy start and Liverpool and United coming up both Away from home in the league after that. Points dropped at home there and 2 away defeats (which is a real possibility) and our seasons on the ropes before it's even got going.

He'll play probably Baines, Coleman, Jagielka, Mcarthey , Barry, Mgeady and Howard with maybe Eto'o Atsu and Distin coming in as well as maybe Osman then Sunday we'll be full strength (like the WBA game then Swansea will see the likes of Hibbert, Stones, Garbutf, besic, Gibson etc getting a run out.

You're thinking WAYYYYY too much into this. He'll play a revised team Thurs he'll have his strongest team out against Palace and then practically a reserve side out at Swansea.

3 points against Palace are an absolute must after a dodgy start and Liverpool and United coming up both Away from home in the league after that. Points dropped at home there and 2 away defeats (which is a real possibility) and our seasons on the ropes before it's even got going.

He'll play probably Baines, Coleman, Jagielka, Mcarthey , Barry, Mgeady and Howard with maybe Eto'o Atsu and Distin coming in as well as maybe Osman then Sunday we'll be full strength (like the WBA game then Swansea will see the likes of Hibbert, Stones, Garbutf, besic, Gibson etc getting a run out.

It's true that RM is being paid rather more than I to think way too much about the problem - or as RM prefers, "enjoyment" - of this crowded list of matches. Still, thinking in some detail about possible lineups must surely be an acceptable expression of Everton football obsession. Next you'll tell me there's no Santa Claus, or that Basil Fawlty is a kind-hearted soul.

Take your own speculation about the revised 11 RM may play Thursday. Unless I'm once again overthinking - distinct possibility - you suggest no Lukaku or Mirallas starting v. Wolfsburg. Although it would surprise me a little, yes, I could see Mirallas rested, even held out totally; but for Lukaku, given his publicly professed desire for European football, to be held out entirely from this first EL fixture - that would surprise me a lot.

As I said in my post, I agree with you that we're likely to see several to lots of new faces v. Swansea.

It's true that RM is being paid rather more than I to think way too much about the problem - or as RM prefers, "enjoyment" - of this crowded list of matches. Still, thinking in some detail about possible lineups must surely be an acceptable expression of Everton football obsession. Next you'll tell me there's no Santa Claus, or that Basil Fawlty is a kind-hearted soul.

Take your own speculation about the revised 11 RM may play Thursday. Unless I'm once again overthinking - distinct possibility - you suggest no Lukaku or Mirallas starting v. Wolfsburg. Although it would surprise me a little, yes, I could see Mirallas rested, even held out totally; but for Lukaku, given his publicly professed desire for European football, to be held out entirely from this first EL fixture - that would surprise me a lot.

As I said in my post, I agree with you that we're likely to see several to lots of new faces v. Swansea.

Yep, if his toe is still injured I think he'll rest him. As I've already stated. 3 points Sunday is the priority (in my eyes snyway with our next 2 league games being the shite and man-ire) so I think Lukaku will be benched in readiness for Sunday.

Of course it's just my humble opinion but with those 2 away days coming up, the Palace game would be my priority if I were manager. A point against Wolfsburg wouldn't be the end of the world. A point against Palace then (if it happens) 2 defeats on the trot (anfields a given it always is) we could be looking at played 7 won 1 drew 3 lost 3 points 6.

That would be our top 4 aims finished before the end of September.