IGNORED

Hello from Atlanta, Georgia

Michael Casanova

I've not eaten a McD's in the US. But, I have helped myself to the exceptional fast food of Wendys, 5 Guys, Steak n Shake, In and Out, and a couple of others. There's no surprise the US suffers from obesity, there is sooooo much good, quick food.

yep. In n Out is actually decent. My wife studied nutrition and they did a tour of their facilities. They quality of meat and veggies and potatoes is better than anything you can get in a grocery store, that's why their stuff tastes good. also the fries are actual potatoes they cut up, not some frozen shipment of "potatoes". Plus they pay their people great wages, a store manager can make $100,00 or more depending on location and the workers are paid over minimum wage.

yep. In n Out is actually decent. My wife studied nutrition and they did a tour of their facilities. They quality of meat and veggies and potatoes is better than anything you can get in a grocery store, that's why their stuff tastes good. also the fries are actual potatoes they cut up, not some frozen shipment of "potatoes". Plus they pay their people great wages, a store manager can make $100,00 or more depending on location and the workers are paid over minimum wage.

To be honest, they all taste really good! I don't care much about the ingredients as its a once a year binge for me. Each time I go to the US, I lose a couple of kilos, despite doing nothing but eating takeout burgers and drinking beer, ale, bourbon and mountain dew :lol:

I rarely go shopping, but more often than not it's to the local Whole Foods Market. Not sure whether organic food stores have hit mainstream in Britain yet, but I would hope so.

I don't think you could quite say they're mainstream; most of the big supermarkets have a pretty wide organic range but purely organic stores are few and far between and all (as far as I know) independents. There's a brilliant, and big, one in Glastonbury that I went to a couple of weeks back! But Glastonbury's on a different planet to the rest of the country :lol:.

Plenty of markets/farmers markets where you can get good stuff though, but it all comes at a premium. If money is no object (shopping with my in-laws is brilliant, they never even bother looking at the price of anything) then you're fine; on a budget it's more difficult.

My brother-in-law, who was in a senior position at Soil Association for many years told me once that if you can just change one thing to organic permanently then make it milk; so we always have that. Other stuff finances come into it.

It looks like Whole Foods (which are very popular around here) do operate five stores in England. Their prices for some things are a little higher, but not excessively so. With so many large supermarkets all around, they'd not survive if their prices were outrageous.

Interesting advice about milk. Maybe that's something I should look into. There is a place close to Atlanta that sells unpasteurized milk also, and friends of mine swear by it. Based on government rules, though, I'm not sure that they are even allowed to sell it any more - which is ridiculous. The taste, apparently, is very different.