IGNORED

Imac v PC

Hafnia

This may have been discussed before but tempted to go for the 5k retina 27 inch imac. Unreal looking and saves space.

I wanted to be able to play the odd PC game which was the sticking point, apparently you can with bootcamp.

I've had enough of windows boot up times, and all the other nonsense. Anyone got anything for me to consider?

Love macs had them for years. Currently have one I've owned for 7 years, still working. Pcs I used to go through like candy, either they got viruses or just tweaked out.

Only issue I forsee is macs aren't gaming machines, best to make sure that boot camp will do everything you need.

Also get Apple care, extra 250 but 5 year warranty for any issue, amazing service. They've replaced stuff free of Charge even after the 5 years for me.

Only ever had issues with Apple, only got their devices because of work and someone backing out of an agreement meaning i kept the iPad

The PC I built is sublime, with win7 mind you ;)

How much did the PC build cost Matt? I'm looking at getting high end as I'm getting into further analysis with office 2013 - especially power pivot which is a simplified means of data mining.

Be good to have the video and picture editing bits. I'm thinkin with a 27 inch retina imac with flash memory added in I won't need much else... With the apple 3 year cover it comes in at about £2300..... Not cheap but resale is good. Is amazing looking set up.

i had always had windows laptops but had to replace every two to three years. Since getting an iPad i never use my laptop, my Dad keeps it for business use, but I feel like I need some sort of hub for all my music and photos and ideally to back up my blurays. That new Mac pro looks awesome, a bit indulgent (£3300 with no monitor or keyboard or touchpad or mouse) if I buy that just to store media on but it looks so pretty and I can imagine how good it would look next to my amp and sub. I'm positive I'll be single soon if I buy it though. It's a simple choice of who I prefer in my house...

https://www.apple.com/uk/mac-pro/

Edited by StevO

Done a bit of research into this, my findings are this.

Don't buy any form of Computer till Intel bring out the skylake chip, it's in the second half of the year. There will be one that comes out just before that which will be superseded almost instantly.

The graphics card should be better. The next model should have that.

The Mac Pro isn't good value, the 5k screen on the imac 27 retina is almost worth the cost of the whole system. Better to upgrade the specs on the imac unless you have a super monitor already.

Waiting till autumn.

Edited by Hafnia

Done a bit of research into this, my findings are this.

Don't buy any form of Computer till Intel bring out the skylake chip, it's in the second half of the year. There will be one that comes out just before that which will be superseded almost instantly.

The graphics card should be better. The next model should have that.

The Mac Pro isn't good value, the 5k screen on the imac 27 retina is almost worth the cost of the whole system. Better to upgrade the specs on the imac unless you have a super monitor already.

Waiting till autumn.

I know it's not good value, I just love it anyway.

I have a super monitor, well, it a projector on a 100" screen.

It's to be part of my home cinema, not really proper computer stuff.

I know it's not good value, I just love it anyway.

I have a super monitor, well, it a projector on a 100" screen.

It's to be part of my home cinema, not really proper computer stuff.

You can't get much better. Expensive though. Flash drive is the future,