IGNORED

Pirlo

Guest rusty747

Guest rusty747

Just heard that Pirlo's younger brother, Fola is having talks with Roberto later today. Plays in a similar position and is reckoned to have the same skill as his older brother. But at 21 years of age he has not yet popped up on any other club's radar.

Fola Pirlo

Remember the name.

Edited by rusty747

Just heard that Pirlo's younger brother, Fola is having talks with Roberto later today. Plays in a similar position and is reckoned to have the same skill as his older brother. But at 21 years of age he has not yet popped up on any other club's radar.

Fola Pirlo

Remember the name.

Very subtle April Fools joke that - the idea that Roberto would ever sign anyone who might replace Gareth Barry. :rofl:

Guest rusty747

Its cold blooded murder. Simple as that. There must be hundreds of different ways of topping yourself without having to take another 149 innocent people with you.

There will be a knee jerk reaction from the industry to give the managers a sound bite but many of us said that the mandatory introduction of the armoured flight deck door, post 911, could cause as many problems as it solved.

Statistically flying is still the safest form of transport but there are some weird and dangerous people out there that we need to identify and deal with much better.

Its cold blooded murder. Simple as that. There must be hundreds of different ways of topping yourself without having to take another 149 innocent people with you.

There will be a knee jerk reaction from the industry to give the managers a sound bite but many of us said that the mandatory introduction of the armoured flight deck door, post 911, could cause as many problems as it solved.

Statistically flying is still the safest form of transport but there are some weird and dangerous people out there that we need to identify and deal with much better.

I knew you'd obviously think it was what it was mate, was just wondering how it had affected you guys on a personal level. It can't be nice to see one of your own let your profession down so horribly..

I feel sorry for the airline industry and all involved when one selfish prick does something like that to let what is predominantly an excellent a utterly professional line of work down.

As you say, you guys thought it could cause problems re-in forcing the doors like that and it came back to haunt the whole world horribly but it's a case of you're damned if you do you're damned if you don't . You think you're doing good to protect people only for it to ultimately condemn the people onthat plane .

You just can't legislate for things like that can you.

Suh a real shame on so many levels the whole sorry episode.

Edited by Paddock

My brother works for Airbus, currently based in Bordeaux, and a mate of his was one of the Airbus team sent to the crash site. What a thing to have to do.

Being said in some quarters that the way forward long term might be no pilots on board with everything run from the ground; but I think we're a long way off passengers feeling comfortable in a radio controlled plane (though it'll happen one day, hopefully after you've retired rusty).

Like you said though Pad, some things you can't legislate for; this was just a dreadful one-off from a very sick man.

Long gone the days when I was younger when after a word with a stewardess kids could often have a look around the cock-pit and a chat with the flight crew. Different world today :(.

Guest rusty747

Would you fly in an aeroplane without a pilot? I know I wouldn't.

Technical issues aside, it still wouldn't solve the problem. Find out who has the remote control in his hand, kidnap his family and tell him to do the necessary.

Return of a minimum 3 man flight deck would help tremendously but the bean counters wouldn't wear it. I used to fly VC10's in the RAF and we had a four man flight deck - with 5 seats.

Would you fly in an aeroplane without a pilot? I know I wouldn't.

Technical issues aside, it still wouldn't solve the problem. Find out who has the remote control in his hand, kidnap his family and tell him to do the necessary.

Return of a minimum 3 man flight deck would help tremendously but the bean counters wouldn't wear it. I used to fly VC10's in the RAF and we had a four man flight deck - with 5 seats.

Neither would I! It's just what some are suggesting.

Not sure if I have posted this before. In 1955. when I was posted to Singapore, I flew from Blackbushe in Hampshire on a four engine (propeller) Hermes. We took off at 11.30 Monday morning and landed in Singapore at 10 o'clock Friday evening. It should have been Thursday evening but we kept getting engine trouble which delayed us several times. At 18 years old it didn't bother me but as I got older I flew all over Europe and to America and was never particularly happy flying.

I can still remember the route which was: Blackbushe, Rome, Nicosia, Bahrain, Karachi, New Delhi, Calcutta, Bangkok, Singapore. We had overnight stops in Karachi and Calcutta and flew through the night twice.

Edited by johnh

Guest rusty747

I once had to position in a Hercules which was a similar experience. Began with a coach ride from Brize to Lyneham. Then Lyneham, Cairo, Bahrain, night stop. Bahrain Colombo, nightstop. Colombo Singapore, nightstop. Singapore Perth, nightstop. Then operate a VC10 via Darwin to Hong Kong before positioning again back to Brize via Colombo and Bahrain with a quick refuelling stop in Marseilles. Brain dead at the end of that.

I once had to position in a Hercules which was a similar experience. Began with a coach ride from Brize to Lyneham. Then Lyneham, Cairo, Bahrain, night stop. Bahrain Colombo, nightstop. Colombo Singapore, nightstop. Singapore Perth, nightstop. Then operate a VC10 via Darwin to Hong Kong before positioning again back to Brize via Colombo and Bahrain with a quick refuelling stop in Marseilles. Brain dead at the end of that.

rusty747. That was my first ever flight. We got on the plane, got to the end of the runway the engines revved up, stopped, and we all got off. This happened three times before we finally got away. I remember the pilot announcing that if we looked out of the port side windows we would see the French Alps. Shortly after, he announced that due to technical problems we were returning to Blackbush. We finally got away but had 'technical problems' most of the way, causing delays. I had a window seat facing back towards the tail and just forward of the wing. Between Calcutta and Bangkok the engine immediately outside my window gave a 'cough' and the propeller came to a stop. Another delay in Bangkok. The guy I was sat next to had a pocket chess set so I spent the whole flight playing chess. Unlike you, I didn't have to fly the bloody thing!

Edited by johnh

Apologies for this but I haven't got anything better to do at the moment. When I was returning from Singapore (March 1957) it was by troopship, the HMS Dunera which, at only 13,000 tons was the smallest troopship in service. The Suez Canal was closed due to the Suez crises so we had to go around the Cape. Stops with 'shore leave' were: Colombo (Ceylon), Mauritius, Cape Town, Dakar (what was then French West Africa). We reached Southampton 42 days after leaving Singapore. There was a French Foreign Legion fort in Dakar and arrangements had been made for a football match - French Foreign Legion v a team from HMS Dunera. I had been selected for the Dunera team and was most pissed off when the match was cancelled. We hit some really bad weather, particularly in the Indian Ocean where we spent 14 days without a sign of any land. It was also bad in the Bay of Biscay where no one was allowed on deck. Being relatively small, (other troopships were about 25,000 tons)we took a bit of a battering. I had my 21st birthday in the middle of the Indian Ocean. I still have quite vivid memories of that journey which is why I have never been on a cruise! :rofl:

Edited by johnh

Don't apologise John, your stories are brilliant!

Blackbushe airport holds some memories for me, though not of flying. There's a kart track there (or was) and they did drag racing also, presumably on the runway, and my dad used to take me to watch when I was a kid; loved the place and can still remember the smell and the noise of it.

And Bob Dylan played there in 1978, virtually everyone I knew went but I was never a Dylan fan so I didn't bother. Quietest Saturday night in the pub we used ever, it was normally rammed but everyone was at Blackbushe.