IGNORED

Remembrance Sunday

rubecula

Just got home from the parade in Holyhead today. I found it all very moving, and, as I get older it seems more and more poignant.

A Royal marine with a chestful of medals saw my beret, and he came over and thanked me for my service. I nearly burst into tears.

So I was wondering how everyone else feels.

Just got home from the parade in Holyhead today. I found it all very moving, and, as I get older it seems more and more poignant.

A Royal marine with a chestful of medals saw my beret, and he came over and thanked me for my service. I nearly burst into tears.

So I was wondering how everyone else feels.

Couldn't believe when it was mentioned on TV that it's 25 years since the end of the Gulf war !

Veterans from all wars and conflicts deserves thanks.A lad from my school was killed in Ireland, my Grandad survived Gallipoli and my wife lost her great Grandad with his two brothers in WW1, so my thoughts today were with them.Saving private Ryan was about 3 brothers getting killed in combat.Well it happened in my Wifes family, but there's no Hollywood blockbuster to remind us, just a block of marble with their names and ages on.Her Grandad, when his father was killed had to leave school at 12 and find work to help the family.In the 2nd world war in the last few days of the conflict a Jap mortar took off his left leg and put a steel plate in his head.Wars were not very kind to Frank !

The last 100 years or so have seen a great generation dissapear.

We have to remember them.

What ever service you did Rubes, thanks !

Went to Aldershot for training. but cant remember if it was Ash Vale.

It would have been Ash Vale. Ash Vale was the main RAMC Depot. It was on the outskirts of Aldershot, long walk from the train station.

About 12 years ago I spent three days in Peterborough General Hospital. The duty doctor in A&E was a captain in the RAMC. I asked him if Ash Vale was still going and he said 'yes'.

Edited by johnh

It would have been Ash Vale. Ash Vale was the main RAMC Depot. It was on the outskirts of Aldershot, long walk from the train station.

About 12 years ago I spent three days in Peterborough General Hospital. The duty doctor in A&E was a captain in the RAMC. I asked him if Ash Vale was still going and he said 'yes'.

Was bought up in Guidford so know Aldershot quite well, was a contact in the RCT who got me Cup Final tickets in 1984, they had Army FA stamped on them :).

In his 90s, my grandad recorded his reminiscences of WW-I on cassette tape. When I listen to them now, especially his account of the Battle of the Somme, I try to imagine how he must have felt - a teenager, who signed up under-age, seeing most of his colleagues die before his very eyes.

Thank you John and Rubes for your service to our country.

In his 90s, my grandad recorded his reminiscences of WW-I on cassette tape. When I listen to them now, especially his account of the Battle of the Somme, I try to imagine how he must have felt - a teenager, who signed up under-age, seeing most of his colleagues die before his very eyes.

Thank you John and Rubes for your service to our country.

My grandad was captured at the Somme. Lucky for me really otherwise I wouldn't be here. The Germans took his boots off him as he kept breaking the door down by kicking it. :D

He was a tough old bird and only 5'2" tall. bless him. He was in the Royal Irish Rifles. got home and then came over to live with his sister in Liverpool. Everton supporter too.

My grandad was captured at the Somme. Lucky for me really otherwise I wouldn't be here. The Germans took his boots off him as he kept breaking the door down by kicking it. :D

He was a tough old bird and only 5'2" tall. bless him. He was in the Royal Irish Rifles. got home and then came over to live with his sister in Liverpool. Everton supporter too.

You know I've never really thought about that before, if my grandad had died....

Anyway I've put him up here before but this is Archie in uniform.

Archie_zpsfb2bf21b.jpg

Don't know much about his service apart from a letter we have to my grandma from the front with an awkward poem. That and the fact that he was in an advance at Passchendaele where (can't remember the exact figures but it was something like) 5000 men went "over the top" and only 250 came back; lived through the duration but never the same man. Went from being a successful business owner with his two brothers to dying a homeless alcoholic three years before I was born. No Help for Heroes back then.

Love the fact that at a big family reunion quite a few years back an elderly relative looked at my lad, who was probably five at the time, and said he was the absolute image of him. Wish I'd known him.