IGNORED

4 matches in 11 days

Imported this comment from MJB in the Man City thread.

For me Europa ties are more important than city and Chelsea away.

In general I agree with MJB's point here, at least as it applies to these upcoming specific EL and EPL ties. My purpose in starting this thread is to think strategically about Koeman's challenge in keeping his best players fresh over a crowded match schedule coming up: 4 matches in 11 days.

Thurs 17 Hajduk Split

Mon 21 night @ City

Thurs 24 @ Hajduk Split

Sun 27 afternoon @ Chelsea

For me, the least important, and the one I would be shocked if we take a point from, is Chelsea away, I assume (the obvious) that Koeman will start his strongest side this Thursday night, factoring in player-choices that fit his game-plan for Hajduk Split's strengths and weaknesses. But then, unless we smash Hajduk Split something like 4-0 or 5-0, I assume Koeman will have to think about which players to rest against City, in order to again start the best lineup to get the needed result in the return match with Hajduk Split.

So, I expect this Thursday to see essentially the same 14 players who played against Stoke. Maybe Lookman or Holgate. But against City, we might see McCarthy. Maybe Barry (unless he's traded) or Besic. Maybe, dare I say probably, Barkley if he's still here. Holgate and Lookman.

Players who log lots of minutes in the 3 Hajduk Split and City matches surely will have to be rested against Chelsea, which follows the second Hajduk Split match much more quickly (Sunday afternoon) than does the City match (Monday night) after the first Hajduk Split match.

Maybe Sigurdsson, Lookman, Barkley, and Besic will sneak us past 9-man Chelsea......

.The first result against Split will dictate the return game.

There's no reason the likes of lookman, Mirrallas, McCarthy and holgate couldn't play against Split and get a good result. Davies needs minutes as well and we don't lose anything by putting him in. This only makes it more evident how much we are lacking a proper CF.

"i play the best eleven, i have 17, maybe more difficult (rotation) with 25, but i have 17"

RK saying he's playing best eleven during this stretch of 4 matches, no rotation or young players time. he said they could play if tactically it makes sense or they're in the best xi or as a sub. makes sense, just keep the lineup the same and get chemistry going since there are so many new players.

"i play the best eleven, i have 17, maybe more difficult (rotation) with 25, but i have 17"

RK saying he's playing best eleven during this stretch of 4 matches, no rotation or young players time. he said they could play if tactically it makes sense or they're in the best xi or as a sub. makes sense, just keep the lineup the same and get chemistry going since there are so many new players.

I will be very surprised if there's literally "no rotation" whatsoever in the starting lineup over these 4 matches in the next 11 days.

I could, yes, see no rotation whatsoever from tonight's match and Monday night's City match. No travel and enough rest.

But then things get tricky, because between Monday night and Thursday night, Everton will travel to Croatia for return EL match, and get one fewer rest day. And then the travel back, less rest, and a Sunday afternoon rather than Monday night match following a Thursday EL match.

But maybe strategic use of all 3 subs in each of these 4 matches will give just enough rest to almost every starter. Possible, just seems unlikely to me.

I will be very surprised if there's literally "no rotation" whatsoever in the starting lineup over these 4 matches in the next 11 days.

I could, yes, see no rotation whatsoever from tonight's match and Monday night's City match. No travel and enough rest.

But then things get tricky, because between Monday night and Thursday night, Everton will travel to Croatia for return EL match, and get one fewer rest day. And then the travel back, less rest, and a Sunday afternoon rather than Monday night match following a Thursday EL match.

But maybe strategic use of all 3 subs in each of these 4 matches will give just enough rest to almost every starter. Possible, just seems unlikely to me.

my interpretation of what he said is he is going to play the strongest team regardless of time. he's not going to intentionally rotate to give rest. at least that's what i took. i expect a couple changes but not much.