IGNORED

Rube's Random Ruminations

rubecula

• 2 weeks later...

This current batch of cold weather has reminded me of the following true tale about the life and times of Rubes:

When I was living and working in Germany in the mid 1970's I went for a drive with a friend in his brand new shiny car.

Winter had finally ended and it had been a cold one (1975?? 1976??) Anyway we set off to a winter wonderland area. (Slushy I would have thought knowing how things get over here) But no there were areas of lovely crisp white snow still around. (Ok it was mostly slushy but there were a few nice white places.)

Anyway we got up to the top of a mountain, or very tall hill and parked up to have a look around.

A small tree was standing by itself in the snow and I thought a photo of me standing next to it would look good for the album. Stepping forward to this 4 foot high tree, I suddenly found out it was more like a 34 foot high tree with a huge snow drift on it. It was over the edge of the road and I didn't realise I was heading for a fall .... until much to the laughter of my friend I vanished over the side of the mountain through a crust of crisp white snow.

It seems my shriek echoed all over the place.

I got back up the slope with a little help from my still laughing friend. (How he didn't wet himself I will never know.) and we went on a little further. Of course the snow on me melted in the car and soon I was pretty wet, and so was this nice new car. I didn't point this out to him though, I wanted to make sure I got a ride home.

We passed a road sign which being in German I couldn't read, but luckily he could. "Hey" he said " A ski slope" (or words to that effect) "Lets take a look."

I can't ski and have never tried, but I am all for a having a look at these things

Of course the season was over and the place was deserted. The slope seemed to start somewhere above us, came down fairly gently to the road and looked like it continued down on the other side of the road. I got out of the car and went to look.

"Hey it is solid ice, and it is almost vertical heeeeeeeeeeeeere ......." Yes indeed I was a little to interested. I went down that sheet of ice at an ever increasing speed on my backside with no control at all. I was spinning and sliding on my rear end for an eternity. Sky Ice Sky Ice Sky Ice Tree ouch. I came to a stop a long way down, and all I could hear was hysteria and gasping for breath. I was trapped halfway down. I couldn't get back up as I kept slipping. I even fell on my face a couple of times with my legs going ten to the dozen to stay in one place.

Eventually, his voice came down between sobbing of laughter. "I will meet you at the bottom."

I reluctantly had to slide all the way to the bottom where the road wound around, but it was treacherous so I went down on my backside (already numb from the cold and the severe bumping it had already suffered). When I limped into the edge of town, he was waiting.

"Let's go get a drink, I am sore, cold, wet and miserable and I hate this place"

"Well they love you" He pointed behind to where some townsfolk were in pleats of laughter, and some ladies were taking a bit too much interest.

All the sliding had removed the backside of my jeans, and my underwear, my arse was bare for all to see.

(The place I think was Winterburg by the way)

Rubes, is that where Eddie the Eagle got his inspiration from?

In the winter of 1954/55 I was doing my National Service and was based at Hucknall,  nr Nottingham. There was 6 inches of snow which had frozen and a wind chill factor of a lot. I was on guard duty at 2.00 am, standing on the verandah of the guard house. It was freezing and I had my pyjama's on under my battledress and greatcoat. I noticed that the water in the fire bucket had frozen and to pass the time, I dug down with my bayonet to see how thick the ice was.  The ice went to the bottom of the bucket.  They don't make winters like that any more!

16 hours ago, johnh said:

Rubes, is that where Eddie the Eagle got his inspiration from?

In the winter of 1954/55 I was doing my National Service and was based at Hucknall,  nr Nottingham. There was 6 inches of snow which had frozen and a wind chill factor of a lot. I was on guard duty at 2.00 am, standing on the verandah of the guard house. It was freezing and I had my pyjama's on under my battledress and greatcoat. I noticed that the water in the fire bucket had frozen and to pass the time, I dug down with my bayonet to see how thick the ice was.  The ice went to the bottom of the bucket.  They don't make winters like that any more!

thank the lord for that  me old bones can not take it anymore  lol lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

just a quick message  my internet and telephone (both BT) have been cancelled for replacement  the changeover should be instantaneous but I had a warning tonight when it all failed  if  it happens that you do not see me for a while I will return asap.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rubecula said:

Just ad a new telly delivered it is big  very big.  I think I could be in trouble with it,  it took two blokes to deliver it. :lol:

My television is enormous, wouldn't ever try moving it.   Had it for quite a few years and  it still works very well.  When I go to my daughter's their TV  is so thin you could hang it on the wall. I reckon if I change mine, they will need three men and a fork lift truck to get it out.

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

Why am I not remotely surprised:lol:? I always get delivery and installation (when available) on anything more complex than a hammer nowadays.

I never realised how big the fecker was until it was delivered Mike  I thought it would only be a little bit bigger

2 hours ago, johnh said:

My television is enormous, wouldn't ever try moving it.   Had it for quite a few years and  it still works very well.  When I go to my daughter's their TV  is so thin you could hang it on the wall. I reckon if I change mine, they will need three men and a fork lift truck to get it out.

if it is as big as this bloody thing I would use it as a telephone kiosk if you decide to get rid

• 2 months later...
17 hours ago, rubecula said:
  • going away for a couple of weeks tomorrow  so keep me in your minds when you post in the footy threads.  @Matt  could you post any sort of footy predictions for me (you did great last time)  I have already done the gooners game. this weekend.  if not  don't worry about it  :)

I’ll try to remember mate 

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, rubecula said:

What is the connection between a young Norwegian hotel worker named Tone Keri Fjalstad. and the former miss Britain Leila Williams?

I'd say Christopher Trace based solely on Leila Williams/Blue Peter (first presenters and the programme's in the news as it's about to hit sixty years running) but I've no idea who Tone Keri Fjalstad is.

2 hours ago, rubecula said:

good idea Mike I think ypu very clearly have it  try the google or bing to clear it up

But that would be cheating. I just remembered she was a lass who he had a brief dalliance with which resulted in his divorce, how silly of me to have forgotten:unsure:.

Does that mean I get to ask a question? If so, what's the connection between the Hollywood bowl and the Liverpool docks?