IGNORED

Soton (Home) Thursday July 9th

markjazzbassist

On 10/07/2020 at 09:14, Romey 1878 said:

To our game though

This was worse than Tottenham, because it's Southampton that outplayed us. And at home (even though a lot of the advantage is lost). We couldn't live with their movement and none of our players got anywhere near them. Our staticness in attack and defence is mindblowing - they do not move to close people down, they'll let players skip by them with a token dangled leg, and god help one of our defenders or the keeper when they have the ball because there is no one in front of them that bothers to try and get themselves into a bit of space to receive the ball comfortably. I honestly don't know which is the more effective gameplan - the opposition bypassing our midfield with quick passing, or us bypassing our own fucking midfield by launching it over them long ball style (what a beautiful goal that brought for us, and almost another in the second half). I cannot tell you how much my blood was boiling in the first half at Gomes and Davies - pair of fucking fairies coasting around the pitch, without a care in the world. I don't want to see either one against Wolves, even if Gomes is fit.

Second half we at least looked more organised and stopped Southampton bearing down on our goal every ten seconds and threatened at the other end.

Pickford made some really good saves but also made some look a lot harder than they needed to be.

Our defence has been solid but in the first half it was like the Keystone Cops and the only difference was Mina coming in. I think his presence makes the others nervous tbh and I can't blame them, because I think he's a liability and it's his athleticism that makes up for him being a pretty poor defender and I would get rid if we could get our money back on him.

The midfield is where our problems really lie though. Not going into the centre again but, like Bailey, I spent a big chunk of the first half not realising Iwoeful was playing. He's offering absolutely nothing. Well, except raising my blood pressure. Gordon is frustrating but he is actually putting himself about and he's trying things when he gets on the ball. He's playing a hell of a lot better than more senior players and taking more responsibility on the ball.

I'm separating Richarlison and DCL because it would do Richie a disservice to talk about them together. Richarlison was a warrior tbh - never stopped working, never stopped battling, and he took his goal brilliantly.

DCL was nothing but a wilting flower. I said in his thread that I've been disappointed with him since the restart and after yesterday alarm bells are going off. He looked so lethargic and unlike the player that fought for everything, and he was easily bullied. And that chance... I actually felt sorry for Davies becuase that was a lovely ball he played, probably the only decent thing he did all game, and I have no idea what DCL was doing or how he managed to fucking thigh it.

Oh the irony. Phahahaha!!

On 09/07/2020 at 14:07, pete0 said:

Just watched the compilation the club put up of goals v Southampton, and this goal still gives me the football butterflies. When was the last time we scored a last minute winner? 

Ah yeah. The goal that netted me £550. Nice journey home that.