IGNORED

World Series

One of my sons is attending the baseball game this evening here in Atlanta. I'm sure he'll enjoy the atmosphere of the US baseball finals; personally, I'd rather watch grass grow or paint dry.

They call it the World Series, of course, but heaven knows why: No-one outside the US gives a toss for such a boring game.

(Sits back and waits for American members of TT to respond.)

16 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

One of my sons is attending the baseball game this evening here in Atlanta. I'm sure he'll enjoy the atmosphere of the US baseball finals; personally, I'd rather watch grass grow or paint dry.

They call it the World Series, of course, but heaven knows why: No-one outside the US gives a toss for such a boring game.

(Sits back and waits for American members of TT to respond.)

Yeah it's always been a conundrum to me why it's called that.

Frankly I was hoping that some crazy event would happen and both the Braves and the Astros would be disqualified from the WS. The Astros because they're cheats (that's not hyperbole) and the Braves because their fans still, in 2021, are doing a racist chant every game.

On 30/10/2021 at 14:18, dunlopp9987 said:

Frankly I was hoping that some crazy event would happen and both the Braves and the Astros would be disqualified from the WS. The Astros because they're cheats (that's not hyperbole) and the Braves because their fans still, in 2021, are doing a racist chant every game.

This is a controversial one. Many claim that indigenous peoples have no problem with the name, the chant, and the chopping in time to beating drums. Others claim it's offensive to Native American culture. It's an open question. Some teams - the Redskins and the Indians, for example - have changed names, and many college teams have done the same. For the Braves, though, it would seem some open and honest discussion is needed.

Just now, Cornish Steve said:

This is a controversial one. Many claim that indigenous peoples have no problem with the name, the chant, and the chopping in time to beating drums. Others claim it's offensive to Native American culture. It's an open question. Some teams - the Redskins and the Indians, for example - have changed names, and many college teams have done the same. For the Braves, though, it would seem some open and honest discussion is needed.

And this reminds me of the discussion that took place years ago about the Washington Redskins. The argument was that the name has very negative connotations and should not be used. Someone made the proposal that they should become the DC Redkins.

2 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

My local rugby team is (I'm sure you are aware) called the Exeter Chiefs and the fans do some sort of tomahawk chant themselves; while the name "chiefs" isn't in itself offensive I don't think (unlike redskins) I'd be very uncomfortable if I was in a crowd doing it.

6 hours ago, MikeO said:

My local rugby team is (I'm sure you are aware) called the Exeter Chiefs and the fans do some sort of tomahawk chant themselves; while the name "chiefs" isn't in itself offensive I don't think (unlike redskins) I'd be very uncomfortable if I was in a crowd doing it.

They've stolen this from the Atlanta Braves. The only thing missing is the drum beat.

18 hours ago, MikeO said:

What an odd thing for any country besides the US to adopt...

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/10/2021 at 19:18, dunlopp9987 said:

I know I'm opening a world of pain for myself here... But in what way is mimicking a chant showing a superiority complex over another group of humans?

Poor taste maybe. But poor taste does not necessarily equal racist. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I guess I was confused from the off why a British rugby team would adapt something so quintessentially American. In the truest sense of the word American. 

It is absolutely crazy when you think about it, I agree; now they're named after @Cornish Steve's ancestors (which he'll probably disapprove of as they're in Devon:P).

58 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I guess I was confused from the off why a British rugby team would adapt something so quintessentially American. In the truest sense of the word American. 

I’ve been to Canada 🍁 a few times and there are plenty of First Nation tribes there, so I would say quintessentially North American, just spitting hairs for the right reasons.

1 minute ago, dunlopp9987 said:

You are absolutely correct, sir! Thank you for the reminder ☺️

Thanks mate I love North American history the good and the bad, from Mexico to the United States and Canada  some of the atrocities inflicted on the tribes of North America can only be described as ethnic cleansing at it’s most barbaric.  

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

It is absolutely crazy when you think about it, I agree; now they're named after @Cornish Steve's ancestors (which he'll probably disapprove of as they're in Devon:P).

So it's not OK to disrespect Native Americans, but it is OK to disrespect Cornish ancestors? That's quintessentially English, for sure. What happens when they play the Cornish Pirates?

20 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

So it's not OK to disrespect Native Americans, but it is OK to disrespect Cornish ancestors? That's quintessentially English, for sure. What happens when they play the Cornish Pirates?

How will they be disrepecting the Dumnonii though? It's obvious that representing native north American Indians as movie stereotypes is tasteless, particularly (on holocaust memorial day) given the way they were culled.

As far as I know there's no popular preconception or stereotype for the Dumnonii people (I had to google them).

13 minutes ago, MikeO said:

How will they be disrepecting the Dumnonii though? It's obvious that representing native north American Indians as movie stereotypes is tasteless, particularly (on holocaust memorial day) given the way they were culled.

As far as I know there's no popular preconception or stereotype for the Dumnonii people (I had to google them).

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Will they wear silly hats and invent chants? If course, in Cornwall, it's "oggy oggy oggy" - but I'm guessing fans of the Cornish Pirates use that. The issue in the US is, as you rightly say, the stereotypes and use of symbols that Native Americans have demanded not be used.

I suggest they become the Devonshire Dumplings or the Exeter Cream Teas.

22 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Will they wear silly hats and invent chants? If course, in Cornwall, it's "oggy oggy oggy" - but I'm guessing fans of the Cornish Pirates use that. The issue in the US is, as you rightly say, the stereotypes and use of symbols that Native Americans have demanded not be used.

I suggest they become the Devonshire Dumplings or the Exeter Cream Teas.

Cream on first!