IGNORED

Euro 2024

Starting this thread with the draw having just been completed moments ago. Here is how the groups ended up after the draw:

GAXHazeWUAALfsW.thumb.jpg.e6365755edc756a50da6f4af17974f94.jpg

Here are the 4 different playoff paths and the countries that will go through them:

Path A

Wales vs. Finland

Poland vs. Estonia

Path B

Bosnia and Herzegovina vs. Ukraine

Israel vs. Iceland

Path C

Georgia vs. Luxembourg

Greece vs. Kazakhstan

The playoff matches will take place in March 2024. 

Euro 2024 opens in Munich on June 14 with Germany vs. Scotland.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Scores from today's Euro qualifying playoffs:

Poland 5:1 Estonia
Wales 4:1 Finland

Wales vs. Poland on Tuesday in Cardiff.

Israel 1:4 Iceland
Bosnia & Herzegovina 1:2 Ukraine

Ukraine vs. Iceland on Tuesday in Wroclaw, Poland.

Georgia 2:0 Luxembourg
Greece 5:0 Kazakhstan

Georgia vs. Greece on Tuesday in Tbilisi.

Today's play-off final scores:

Wales 0:0 Poland (Poland advances on PKs 5-4)

Ukraine 2:1 Iceland 

Georgia 0:0 Greece (Georgia advances on PKs 4-2)

Poland goes into Group D and will play the Netherlands on June 16 in Hamburg.

Ukraine goes into Group E and will play Romania on June 17 in Munich.

Georgia goes into Group F and will play Turkey on June 18 in Dortmund.

• 2 months later...

Recent poll done by German public broadcaster ARD found that 27% of Germans have no interest in the upcoming tournament, 43% are very interested, and 28% are less interested. Organizers of the tournament were hoping to get enthusiasm from their population similar to what they experienced for the World Cup in 2006, which became known as "the summer fairy tale" in that country.

11 hours ago, StatesideToffee14 said:

Recent poll done by German public broadcaster ARD found that 27% of Germans have no interest in the upcoming tournament, 43% are very interested, and 28% are less interested. Organizers of the tournament were hoping to get enthusiasm from their population similar to what they experienced for the World Cup in 2006, which became known as "the summer fairy tale" in that country.

I wonder how many questioned were naturalised Germans, let’s not forget Germany probably as the largest amount of migrants in their country than any other country in Europe. 
Auf wierdersehen, pet. 

32 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I wonder how many questioned were naturalised Germans, let’s not forget Germany probably as the largest amount of migrants in their country than any other country in Europe. 
Auf wierdersehen, pet. 

Why would it matter? 

I did find out that the Germans find our obsession with the rivalry rather amusing. They see the Dutch as their old enemies apparently, England is just another country to them in football terms.

39 minutes ago, Matt said:

Why would it matter? 

I did find out that the Germans find our obsession with the rivalry rather amusing. They see the Dutch as their old enemies apparently, England is just another country to them in football terms.

Well because we don’t know how or what questions were asked, and if they focused on Germany in the competition and they asked some people who had no real allegiance to Germany, that could help account for the 27% who have no interest, now I can’t prove that it may of contributed to the 27%, just as people can’t prove it didn’t, it was just a theory as to why that figure was so high.  

30 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Well because we don’t know how or what questions were asked, and if they focused on Germany in the competition and they asked some people who had no real allegiance to Germany, that could help account for the 27% who have no interest, now I can’t prove that it may of contributed to the 27%, just as people can’t prove it didn’t, it was just a theory as to why that figure was so high.  

I think 27% having no interest is an extremely low figure, whether native born or not.

Loads of people have absolutely fuck all interest in football of any kind, if you polled my kids you'd have 80% of them not giving a shit for example.

Immigration a big red herring...as per usual....73% having some level of interest represents massive engagement in my view, not sure why it'd be spun otherwise.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Auf wierdersehen, pet. 

Not sure where naturalized or not would play a role but okay. You be you apparently. 

27 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I think 27% having no interest is an extremely low figure, whether native born or not.

Loads of people have absolutely fuck all interest in football of any kind, if you polled my kids you'd have 80% of them not giving a shit for example.

Immigration a big red herring...as per usual....73% having some level of interest represents massive engagement in my view, not sure why it'd be spun otherwise.

Well I’m assuming that the people who run the poll consider 27% high because they make some form of reference to the how the country felt back in 2006 compared to now. But like I said we don’t know how questions were phrased, because it was a poll in Germany who are hosting the Euro’s, so the question may have revolved around the German team and why wouldn’t it, so if people were asked are you interested in Germany's participation in the tournament held here a percentage of those asked who are not naturalised Germans may have said no, so not trying to throw in a big red herring as usual, just trying to come up with a reasonable explanation as to why 27% was considered high by the people who carried out the poll compared to 2006 and maybe because the countries immigration has increased significantly since 2006 it may possibly of had a bearing on the result. 
And the fact you haven’t raised your kids to like football is not a mitigating factor 😂

45 minutes ago, StatesideToffee14 said:

Not sure where naturalized or not would play a role but okay. You be you apparently. 

Well you obviously didn’t read my response to that question to Matt or you wouldn’t of asked that question, and if you still don’t understand you can now look at my response to Mike to help clarify. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

That is absolutely correct, Matt. I speak with germans every day ... and drink their beer :beer:

5 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Well you obviously didn’t read my response to that question to Matt or you wouldn’t of asked that question, and if you still don’t understand you can now look at my response to Mike to help clarify. 

Right but you're bringing naturalization, and more specifically, immigration into the discussion when that should have zero relevance to who answered the polling question. (And yes I did read your response to Matt and Mike)

6 minutes ago, StatesideToffee14 said:

Right but you're bringing naturalization, and more specifically, immigration into the discussion when that should have zero relevance to who answered the polling question. (And yes I did read your response to Matt and Mike)

Not really if people were asked who are not German are you interested in Germany in the Euro’s being held here. 
And it appears ARD aren’t innocent when holding their polls to bringing racial tensions and hatred to Germany and the German football, one of their last polls was “ do you want to see more white players in the national football team “ that had many Germans citizens, fans, and players condemning ARD of being racist. 
So maybe you could consider being a bit more selective in whose polls you choose to support. Instead of you being you apparently😁

39 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Well I’m assuming that the people who run the poll consider 27% high because they make some form of reference to the how the country felt back in 2006 compared to now. But like I said we don’t know how questions were phrased, because it was a poll in Germany who are hosting the Euro’s, so the question may have revolved around the German team and why wouldn’t it, so if people were asked are you interested in Germany's participation in the tournament held here a percentage of those asked who are not naturalised Germans may have said no, so not trying to throw in a big red herring as usual, just trying to come up with a reasonable explanation as to why 27% was considered high by the people who carried out the poll compared to 2006 and maybe because the countries immigration has increased significantly since 2006 it may possibly of had a bearing on the result. 
And the fact you haven’t raised your kids to like football is not a mitigating factor 😂

Firstly, that poll about white players in their team was absurd....racists tick this box please...no idea what their motivation was. 

Did they say that they thought 27% was high? Or higher than 2006? Not according to anything posted here as far as I can see, numbers were given but no comment attempting to analyse it...have you seen more detail on it?

18 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Not really if people were asked who are not German are you interested in Germany in the Euro’s being held here. 
And it appears ARD aren’t innocent when holding their polls to bringing racial tensions and hatred to Germany and the German football, one of their last polls was “ do you want to see more white players in the national football team “ that had many Germans citizens, fans, and players condemning ARD of being racist. 
So maybe you could consider being a bit more selective in whose polls you choose to support. Instead of you being you apparently😁

My point was more why bring up immigration or naturalization as a reason in the first place. It makes no sense within the context of the poll. Heck, I'm sure here in America there's probably a larger percentage of people (compared to the 27% of Germans in the ARD poll) that are unenthusiastic about the upcoming Copa America that the U.S. is hosting but that has nothing to do with immigration or naturalization factors. While interest in soccer in the U.S. is still growing, the most enthusiasm in this country typically only comes around when the World Cup is taking place. And I never said anything about whether I supported the poll or not and to claim I did is a gross misrepresentation. 

And that poll is because of a documentry on ARD that can actually be seen today in their Media-Thek.

Perhaps try to read this article to get a better understanding of it all. It's in german, but can easily be translated: https://www.swr.de/swrkultur/leben-und-gesellschaft/harald-welzer-ueber-ard-umfrage-zu-rassismus-im-fussball-100.html

There's no doubt that the timing for this documentry and the poll (just before Euro 2024) is problematic.

43 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Firstly, that poll about white players in their team was absurd....racists tick this box please...no idea what their motivation was. 

Did they say that they thought 27% was high? Or higher than 2006? Not according to anything posted here as far as I can see, numbers were given but no comment attempting to analyse it...have you seen more detail on it?

I think they were trying to give the impression they thought it was high by highlighting the fact that 2006 World Cup was had more enthusiasm from the population for that tournament, than this tournament seems to have, makes you wonder why they held the poll and would they have made the comparison to 2006 if it was only 7% who showed no interest. 
Meaningless poll imo by possibly a far right media outlet if some of their other polls and stories are anything to go by.