IGNORED

Semi Final First Leg

MikeO

We're in desperate straits in midfield Tuesday so what do you reckon?

Howard then Hibbert, Yobo, Jags and Lescott at the back probably. I'd far rather Neville at the back with Yobo, Lescott and Baines (Jags is still wobbly against the best imo) but with the shortage in mid don't think Davey will do it.

Then there's Carsley and Cahill (as long as he's fit, God help us if he's not) for sure. Gravesen was by all accounts shite yesterday so we'll probably have Neville and MacFadden making up a four with AJ and Yak up front.

Carsley and Neville in a four is desperately worrying but he's not going to risk Anderson (probably be on the bench), Vidarsson or (if fit) VDM, who are our only other available midfielders in such an important game.

Unless he does go for Pip at left back and puts Jags into the mid, but he looked poor when he played there earlier in the season.

Whatever he does a draw would be a major triumph.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really shows how short of decent midfielders we are, something has to be done in the tranfer window and Quickly, cos Man City are just on the horizon and we need to beat them.

Cant see us surviving against Chelsea with the eleven we have to put out, i'm afraid it has to be damage limitation to have any chance in the second game.

It really is silly that nothing has been done on the transfer front, the manager knew Osman was out for six weeks, knew Pienaar, Yakubu, and Yobo would be missing and knew Arteta's red Card meant he was missing 3 matches.

After our FA cup departure, January could see the end of our season Carling Cup, eufa, and Man city only a week away.

With the players we have left to us it could be catastrophic.

Is Dan Gosling cup-tied?

He won't play til at least next season, cahill should be back hopefully.

Here's how it could go...

Howard

Hibbo,Yobo.Jags,Lescott

Pip,Cahill,Cars,Baines

AJ,Yak

Poor mid really but at least with pip and leighton we've got 2 players who'll get up and down and give us cover at the back but can also put a decent cross in - for timmy,yak and AJ.

It really is silly that nothing has been done on the transfer front, the manager knew Osman was out for six weeks, knew Pienaar, Yakubu, and Yobo would be missing and knew Arteta's red Card meant he was missing 3 matches.

After our FA cup departure, January could see the end of our season Carling Cup, eufa, and Man city only a week away.

With the players we have left to us it could be catastrophic.

Well we don't have another UEFA Cup game until February, so we should definitely have most/all of our regular midfield back from the training room and Africa by then, barring a complete injury disaster.

He won't play til at least next season, cahill should be back hopefully.

Here's how it could go...

Howard

Hibbo,Yobo.Jags,Lescott

Pip,Cahill,Cars,Baines

AJ,Yak

Poor mid really but at least with pip and leighton we've got 2 players who'll get up and down and give us cover at the back but can also put a decent cross in - for timmy,yak and AJ.

I wouldnt play 442, we only need a 0-0 or somthing, I could see us losing 2-1 but an away goal could come in handy as if we win them 1-0 at home we go through on away goals dont we?

----------------Howard------------------

Hibbert----Yobo-------Jagielka---Lescott

-----------------Anderson------------------

Neville----Cahill--------Carsley----Baines

------------------Yakubu-------------------

that would be what id play if Pienaar can't play.

I wouldnt play 442, we only need a 0-0 or somthing, I could see us losing 2-1 but an away goal could come in handy as if we win them 1-0 at home we go through on away goals dont we?

With Anderson we've got another player to give the ball away and although 451 seems more defensive than 442 it may act negatively, yak on his own will have his work cut-out, at least in 442 we've got another man up there to hopefully keep the ball up the field for longer.

Yer I can see what you mean, Id have anderson in there because when ive seen him play, he can pass and he's not scared of a tackle. not only that he's playing for a place in the team and maybe a new contract, which may encourage him to perform.

Having Neville in front of Hibbert could be a good idea because it will be hard to go down the right wing they may start hitting it long which may suit our defence.

Good team IMO. I think if you swap Anderson and Carsley round it may do the trick but we need at least a goal there so am sure we wont see that team more like this.

Neville----Yobo-------Jagielka---Lescott

McFadden--Cahill---Carsley--Baines

---------Yakubu-----Johnson--------

You would seriously stick Anderson in in such an important game? Im all for giving him a chance but this is Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

0-0, I'll be covering my eyes throughout most of it no doubt

You would seriously stick Anderson in in such an important game? Im all for giving him a chance but this is Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

0-0, I'll be covering my eyes throughout most of it no doubt

Maybe its a risk, but were very short on midfielders and I think he would be up to it. but im a risk taker haha

Dont think we will win there, but if we can get a draw id be confident we could get a result at Goodison.

I'll be there tomorrow night, albeit I may be in the midfield at this rate!

I'll be sitting there quite happy (nay, delighted) if I sit threw the worst 0-0 ever! If it means we go into the 2nd leg with a decent shout then fine!

Hard to see us getting much out of this, but hopefully some wounded pride and the fact we want this more than they do may just make us competitive.

Come on Blues...its a fucking semi!

come on lads we can beat them look how many players they are missing if we cant beat these then got no chance

Provisional Chelsea squad: Cech, Hilario, Belletti, A Cole, J Cole, Ben-Haim, Alex, Carvalho, Bridge, Ferreira, Sidwell, Sinclair, Sahar, Wright-Phillips, Pizarro, Obi, Ballack.

Provisional Everton squad: Howard, Hibbert, Neville, Stubbs, Lescott, Yobo, Valente, Baines, Gravesen, Cahill, Carsley, McFadden, Johnson, Yakubu, Vaughan, Anichebe, Jagielka, Pienaar, Wessels.

they are missing lampard shev malouda terry essian kalou drobga and more

come on lads we can beat them look how many players they are missing if we cant beat these then got no chance

Provisional Chelsea squad: Cech, Hilario, Belletti, A Cole, J Cole, Ben-Haim, Alex, Carvalho, Bridge, Ferreira, Sidwell, Sinclair, Sahar, Wright-Phillips, Pizarro, Obi, Ballack.

Provisional Everton squad: Howard, Hibbert, Neville, Stubbs, Lescott, Yobo, Valente, Baines, Gravesen, Cahill, Carsley, McFadden, Johnson, Yakubu, Vaughan, Anichebe, Jagielka, Pienaar, Wessels.

they are missing lampard shev malouda terry essian kalou drobga and more

if those squads are correct then I don't think we cant complain too much. Chelsea are missing nearly all of their best players and I can't see too much to fear in that line up. I mean, with the players we have missing the team we're going to put out will struggle to beat anyone (as Oldham proved) as goals will be hard to come by, but at the same time we could beat virtually anyone as we should have players all over the park who can compete and keep it tight, and any team can score from a corner or a long shot, or defensive lapse. After seeing the lack of firepower in the Chelsea team I'm in two minds what team to put out, one part of me thinks 451 keep it tight and Ballack etc probably won't like it much having Nev, Cars and Cahill snapping at his heels all game - but the other half of me thinks they have no strikers of any note so are going to struggle to score and we have a fully fit strike force, maybe play Anichebe with Yak (as AJ/Yak looks a poor partnership imo) and give us an outlet and presence up front. I certainly think we can get a result tonight, it's looking likely that it's going to be the poorest Chelsea line up we could have faced in the last few years. COYB!

if those squads are correct then I don't think we cant complain too much. Chelsea are missing nearly all of their best players and I can't see too much to fear in that line up. I mean, with the players we have missing the team we're going to put out will struggle to beat anyone (as Oldham proved) as goals will be hard to come by, but at the same time we could beat virtually anyone as we should have players all over the park who can compete and keep it tight, and any team can score from a corner or a long shot, or defensive lapse. After seeing the lack of firepower in the Chelsea team I'm in two minds what team to put out, one part of me thinks 451 keep it tight and Ballack etc probably won't like it much having Nev, Cars and Cahill snapping at his heels all game - but the other half of me thinks they have no strikers of any note so are going to struggle to score and we have a fully fit strike force, maybe play Anichebe with Yak (as AJ/Yak looks a poor partnership imo) and give us an outlet and presence up front. I certainly think we can get a result tonight, it's looking likely that it's going to be the poorest Chelsea line up we could have faced in the last few years. COYB!

Man threats are SWP, JC and Ballack.

If Baines plays then awe will have some pace to defend against SWP.

Ballack is a big threat though. With Lampard out of the squad he is starting to find his feet. So Carsley - snap them off! Kick three shades out of him for 90 minutes!

Need a big game from Yak. Chelsea look suspectable to power up front. Yak and Vaughan (Anichebe?) could do damage.

Go on boys.

Man threats are SWP, JC and Ballack.

If Baines plays then awe will have some pace to defend against SWP.

Ballack is a big threat though. With Lampard out of the squad he is starting to find his feet. So Carsley - snap them off! Kick three shades out of him for 90 minutes!

Need a big game from Yak. Chelsea look suspectable to power up front. Yak and Vaughan (Anichebe?) could do damage.

Go on boys.

even if Baines doesn't play then Lescott at LB should have enough to contain SWP, as long as we don't play Valente! I think we'd have to consider putting Baines left wing, either that or McFadden and hope he can produce something.

I'm mainly worried that we will play Neville Carsely together in midfield because of having such limited options. We always seem to do badly with them together. But i don't know whats worse, them 2 together or grav playing....

i know that chelsea have alot of players missing but they still have alot of class players to0 call apon, i mean they have key midfield players out and still can still start:- Cole Ballack Mikel SWP. Bastards.

This could be a tricky one, i can't wait for Spud and ossie back

I'm mainly worried that we will play Neville Carsely together in midfield because of having such limited options. We always seem to do badly with them together. But i don't know whats worse, them 2 together or grav playing....

i know that chelsea have alot of players missing but they still have alot of class players to0 call apon, i mean they have key midfield players out and still can still start:- Cole Ballack Mikel SWP. Bastards.

This could be a tricky one, i can't wait for Spud and ossie back

undoubtedly they still have a good team, but it's not that good when they only have Pizarro up front and we all know SWP can be absolutely useless. Everyone forgets that one of our best results of the season 3-1 against Spurs away, was with Carsley/Nev in midfield. In fact, I think we played that in the derby last year and either won or drew too. In a 442 then it's a big worry as they aren't good enough, but but Cahill in there with them in a 451 and then it's a different story. Chelsea will fear Cahill and all 3 will surely be able to put the shackles on the Chelsea team. We are under strength in midfield, but Chelsea are under strength everywhere, we should be able to give them a game.

I THINK HE MIGHT GO ....

HOWARD

HIBBERT

YOBO

JAGIELKA

LESCOTT

NEVILLE

CAHILL

CARSLEY

McFADDEN

BAINES

YAKUBO

Or leave Baines on the bench and play AJ. Whichever he chooses it has to be damage limitations, cant see us doing anything.

team that plays tonight is as above. Baines out Johnson in. Had No option but to play them, its all we got left.