Ian

Longest Thread!

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I watched EFC when Jimmy Harris was playing,  his Brother Brian Harris also played around the same time, Jimmy was a striker, Brian was a midfielder. Not bad players.

Funny enough he told me that he wasn't related to Brian.... loads of people thought they were related but they came from the wirral and had same surname and made debut together. 

Telling you bill... for his age he looked superb.  Really nice fella..... said he earned more money working for Vauxhalls when he retired than he did as a professional footballer.  How times have changed. He used to do a brisk walk round the top of the ferry on route to the game for the evening kickoffs to get focused and warmed up. 

43 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

haf i love a good sauna session, i love talking to people in there and meeting people.  enjoying this story

You need something to keep you entertained whilst sweating ya balls off!

Seems his finest hours were after he left us!

"Harris was sold to Birmingham City for a fee of £20,000. He was the club's top scorer in each of his first two seasons at Birmingham City, and in four years scored 53 goals in 113 games in all competitions. He played in their 1960-61 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup campaign when they reached the final against A.S. Roma, and was largely responsible for them getting that far. In the semi-final against Inter Milan he scored three times, including the first goal of the 2–1 win at the San Siro, the only time Inter had lost at home to an English club until Arsenal repeated the feat over forty years later. He won his only major medal when he played on the winning side in the 1963 Football League Cup Final."

5 hours ago, hafnia said:

Anyone recall a Jimmy Harris who played for us? JohnH I'm guessing will have done. 

The other day i struck up a conversation with a very fit looking older gentleman in the sauna... yes sounds dodgy but anyway.....  I was talking to the lad next to me about the red shite playing Bayern munich.... and this old fella mentions that he played near 200 ganes for Everton.   I asked him who he was and he told me.....

Very nice bloke.  He politely swerved my prompts to get stuck into pickford, lukaku, and any other figure of hate I have in a blue shirt.... and mentioned how he used to get the ferry over to the game.  Lives on the wirral and to be fair if anyone looks in the nick he is at 85 then they must have been some athlete in their day.  Really nice bloke and nice to talk to a good servantof the club who I wasn't even aware of. 

No Haf,  Jimmy Harris was just after my time.  I moved from Liverpool in 1951 and lost touch a bit as I couldn't get to games.  The only name I can remember which made an impression on me after we moved was Dave Hickson.  Often wished he'd played when I went to Goodison.

7 hours ago, hafnia said:

Anyone recall a Jimmy Harris who played for us? JohnH I'm guessing will have done. 

The other day i struck up a conversation with a very fit looking older gentleman in the sauna... yes sounds dodgy but anyway.....  I was talking to the lad next to me about the red shite playing Bayern munich.... and this old fella mentions that he played near 200 ganes for Everton.   I asked him who he was and he told me.....

Very nice bloke.  He politely swerved my prompts to get stuck into pickford, lukaku, and any other figure of hate I have in a blue shirt.... and mentioned how he used to get the ferry over to the game.  Lives on the wirral and to be fair if anyone looks in the nick he is at 85 then they must have been some athlete in their day.  Really nice bloke and nice to talk to a good servantof the club who I wasn't even aware of. 

Fair play mate amazing what can happen when you least expect it, did you mention you new a couple of blokes that don’t rate Gana 😀

6 hours ago, hafnia said:

Funny enough he told me that he wasn't related to Brian.... loads of people thought they were related but they came from the wirral and had same surname and made debut together. 

Telling you bill... for his age he looked superb.  Really nice fella..... said he earned more money working for Vauxhalls when he retired than he did as a professional footballer.  How times have changed. He used to do a brisk walk round the top of the ferry on route to the game for the evening kickoffs to get focused and warmed up. 

Yeah I've just found its not true Haf, I and many others at the time really believed they were Brothers, both made their  1st appearance on the same day  and both came from the Wirral which added creedence to the thought.

Got a birthday card from my brother (tomorrow St Paddys day) It says  'For a Footy Fan, inside this card are 3 words every footy-fan wants to hear'    Inside the card it says:

MANCHESTER UTD NIL.

18 hours ago, johnh said:

Got a birthday card from my brother (tomorrow St Paddys day) It says  'For a Footy Fan, inside this card are 3 words every footy-fan wants to hear'    Inside the card it says:

MANCHESTER UTD NIL.

Happy birthday John🎂

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Glad to hear, old man :P happy birthday!

Thanks Matt.  Son-in-law (also Matt) sorted out some Computer issues for me.  Had super lunch with my two daughters and their families (oh, and her indoors!) Got a lovely bottle of single malt and a couple of bottles of red.  All topped off with a nice win for the lads.

2 hours ago, johnh said:

Thanks Palfy.  Had a really great day in spite of managing to stay sober!  A win for the boys as well.

Pleased to hear it mate a double celebration birthday and a win, bit disappointed you stayed sober must be getting sensible in your old age or do I mean boring😀

13 hours ago, Palfy said:

Pleased to hear it mate a double celebration birthday and a win, bit disappointed you stayed sober must be getting sensible in your old age or do I mean boring😀

Must be boring Palfy!  I have never been drunk in my life, don't want to break the habit of a lifetime.🙂

On 18/03/2019 at 11:24, johnh said:

Must be boring Palfy!  I have never been drunk in my life, don't want to break the habit of a lifetime.🙂

8 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Me neither. Many happy returns, John. 

How does one define "drunk" though? John you've mentioned on several occasions that you've had gifts of malt and wine and partaken so you have plainly at times been "under the influence" of alcohol to some extent, Steve I don't know. When does one become the other? I know when I've had long periods off "the sauce" that the smallest amount can make me daft; not challenging or looking for an answer, just thinking out loud.

For me now the "evil" is caffeine, I stopped any intake not for health reasons but because I can't tolerate hot drinks any more. On Zakynthos last year I had a (cooled) Greek coffee to try to wake myself a bit after early morning/long drive and flight and it completely destroyed my head; had to sit for well in excess of an hour as we were several miles from our accommodation and there was no way I could drive until it had worn off. Hated that feeling.

55 minutes ago, MikeO said:

How does one define "drunk" though? John you've mentioned on several occasions that you've had gifts of malt and wine and partaken so you have plainly at times been "under the influence" of alcohol to some extent, Steve I don't know. When does one become the other? I know when I've had long periods off "the sauce" that the smallest amount can make me daft; not challenging or looking for an answer, just thinking out loud.

For me now the "evil" is caffeine, I stopped any intake not for health reasons but because I can't tolerate hot drinks any more. On Zakynthos last year I had a (cooled) Greek coffee to try to wake myself a bit after early morning/long drive and flight and it completely destroyed my head; had to sit for well in excess of an hour as we were several miles from our accommodation and there was no way I could drive until it had worn off. Hated that feeling.

I've swapped alcohol for caffeine.... alcohol was becoming a problem for me.  Not in the sense that I was drinking in mornings and stuff but I was drinking to get through stress- then when I had a hangover I would have a few hairs of dogs.  I actually tried something I seen in menshealth - naltrexone.   Take one an hour before drinking..... completely cut my drinking down to a point where I'm not arsed anymore.  Anyone who knows anyone who is interested in it... it's called the Sinclair method.  It will work for people who wanna just cut down or people who have a bigger problem.

Drink related depression was getting tough for me so it was the right step at the right time. Add in the fact that work is tough with a fuzzy brain and 2 toddlers don't understand hangovers and it was the right call. It would take me 4 days to recover from a night out 

I enjoy waking up rested now.   I enjoyed my 20's and 30's and all the social side but drinking is not without its pitfalls.... dangerous drug.