IGNORED

Standard Liege (2nd Leg Away)

EFCfanatic

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree it is to a large extent, but although I strongly suspect you lot to be pretty friendly, Liège has very sad memories from the visit of Cardiff City so-called fans who ransacked the city centre and railway station (1994 if memory serves me right), not to mention how English fans went on the rampage in Charleroi at Euro 2000 and, of course, Heysel (survivor talking). Might sound stupid or patronizing, but I always advise English fans not to drink too heavily when coming over to Belgium because, however tasty and pretty cheap - the normal price for a half-pint beer in Liège should be around € 1.50 / € 1.70 - our beers are much stronger than yours and, quantities equal, get much, much more heavily to your head than the average English pint. And we all know how sparks can fly when one's had one (or twelve) too many. Add to that that there'll always be a local twit who'll want to pick up a fight and you end up with all those rather extreme measures. Precaution principle.

Actually FB your people are due an apology from us, we do have some morons in our midst as do all teams, especially the Dutch, but no law abiding person could condone any type of thuggery whatsoever. Those measures are Draconian but are also totally understandable. For my part, as a life long supporter of British football, sorry, what happen should never have come about.

I Dont see how that is a bit harsh Mike.

You don't see it as harsh to be arrested for going to Liege :huh: ? I'm glad you're not in charge of human rights legislation Bill :lol: .

I can see why the law was introduced and (as times have changed) I'm sure the police use a bit of sense in applying it but...

....I'm flying to Toulouse on Friday to visit my brother...if by chance he live in Liege and I was going on Thursday I'd be committing an offence and be liable to be arrested and fined. I'm sure common sense would prevail but on that basis I think it's a bit harsh :) .

And I had a week-end on Duvel in Zeebrugge many years ago FB, very memorable...well, some of it was :unsure: .

You are totally entiltled to be a Brititsh tourist, of course, but if your presence around is suspected to have anything to do with the footy...

I see where you come from MikeO, but I also remember the days when there was no crowd segregation and it was all banter and good humour and I see how football stadia have now turned into Guantanamo security-like places because of the morons. It is very sad, it turns me off from going with my 8 year-old nipper TBH. When he wants to watch football, we go to a 4th division game next door, where cops only direct traffic, if there's any.

Edited by FromBelgium

You are totally entitled to be a Brititsh tourist....

Except if you're an Evertonian :lol::lol: .

Like I said anyway, I fully understand the reason the law was put into place, Belgium more than anyone is completely justified in having the most draconian laws at their disposal. And I'm also sure it's applied with common sense.

Do you get much tourism in Belgium (other than the obvious booze-cruisers)?

This kind of sums it up for me, we are so confident of winning that we are more interested in whether we will get arrested for going.

Personally, if our defense doesn't buck up, they should be arrested. I think the game will swing on our ability to play football. If the same mentality and effort as in recent weeks is visible, I actually expect a rout as our confidence must be on the floor. I don't expect a repeat of last year, but it would be nice and this is definitely the time to raise the game.

My biggest concern on this though, is that we haven't been playing weel at all all season. There has been some nice movement and passing, but everyone still looks like they are i pre-season. There is no polish to our performances, there are too many loose balls and posession is given away cheaply, not to mention ouor concentration seems to be for shit at the moment. To be honest, it is now time for Moyes to show how good he is, and pull everyones head out of their arse.

To win, nothing fancy, back to basics, simple balls, tight defense and posession. If we can keep hold of the ball, I believe that could unsettle Liege and we may snatch a goal, but they are on fire and a much better side than I think we gave them credit for.

Except if you're an Evertonian :lol::lol: .

Like I said anyway, I fully understand the reason the law was put into place, Belgium more than anyone is completely justified in having the most draconian laws at their disposal. And I'm also sure it's applied with common sense.

Do you get much tourism in Belgium (other than the obvious booze-cruisers)?

Belgium is a lovely place to live if you forget about the weather and Liège + area are worth a 3 or 4 day-stay. Spa (F1 anybody?) is close, and so is lovely Cologne, Germany. Brilliant food and pubs in the town centre. If you want to mix footy and tourism, provided you have a couple of hours to spend, it's one of the places to be.

Britain was the 1st democracy ever. Liège was the 2nd, no joke. Our then Principality took model.

And we are very friendly, almost mediterranean, people. If you happen to speak French, don't be put off by our accent, it's very strong, nothing like you might have heard on french TV (like a Scouser's to Queen's English? :)). I've been away from the area for over 20 years and I still have that lovely accent - not an accent, a gift from the gods, actually. I'm just full of love for my hometown, so forgive me if I overdo it a bit.

Edited by FromBelgium

Belgium is a lovely place to live if you forget about the weather and Liège + area are worth a 3 or 4 day-stay. Spa (F1 anybody?) is close, and so is lovely Cologne, Germany. Brilliant food and pubs in the town centre. If you want to mix footy and tourism, provided you have a couple of hours to spend, it's one of the places to be.

Britain was the 1st democracy ever. Liège was the 2nd, no joke. Our then Principality took model.

And we are very friendly, almost mediterranean, people. If you happen to speak French, don't be put off by our accent, it's very strong, nothing like you might have heard on french TV (like a Scouser's to Queen's English? :)). I've been away from the area for over 20 years and I still have that lovely accent - not an accent, a gift from the gods, actually. I'm just full of love for my hometown, so forgive me if I overdo it a bit.

and how long have you worked for the Tourist Board :lol::lol: Whats with the Walloons FB and you missed the chocolate, the very best in Europe bar none

Edited by Jimmy the blue

and how long have you worked for the Tourist Board :lol::lol: Whats with the Walloons FB and you missed the chocolate, the very best in Europe bar none

Mind you I stopped working for them when I left Liège to go to university, but I used to work as a guide. Fortunately, chocolate abounds everywhere in the country so no shortage. :)

We'll revert back to football, shan't we?

Edited by FromBelgium

Mind you I stopped working for them when I left Liège to go to university, but I used to work as a guide. Fortunately, chocolate abounds everywhere in the country so no shortage. :)

We'll revert back to football, shan't we?

As far as the match is concerned I hold out scant hope of us winning with our morale at rock bottom and a manager who is apparently devoid of ideas. Unless we string a line across the back and hope for break aways we will be beaten

As far as the match is concerned I hold out scant hope of us winning with our morale at rock bottom and a manager who is apparently devoid of ideas. Unless we string a line across the back and hope for break aways we will be beaten

Jimmy, breakaways are out of the question because just don't have the pace needed.

pienaar is back but doubt he will start - hopefully moyes will play a 4-4-2 and bring peinaar on in the second half, maybe changing to 4-5-1

pienaar i hope will be back to his best and feature on sunday would bloody love that

If he'll start Hibbert straight away after a few of months out I reckon he'll start Pienaar. Moyes is desperate.

If he'll start Hibbert straight away after a few of months out I reckon he'll start Pienaar. Moyes is desperate.

Just heard on City that Peanuts will be in the starting 11. I hope so, he is badly needed. I'd play Baines with him and bring on J Lo if he doesn't cut it. Baines has the pace to cope with their right wing and Pienaar will track back also. A lot less will get past.

Thinking back to the first leg, most of the problems came down the left hand side.There hardly going to ignore this are they?......Left back, whoever you are get ready for a busy night.

So ok we are away!.....Well it's being at home this season that's the biggest problem, perhaps that will help.

I think we will see some of the Everton players giving everything, if they all do that, then get ready for a big night.

Honestly cant see us winning this. Think that we will attack them from the start but they will score 2 counter attack goals before half time and we will end up losing 3 v 1

With you on this one Adam, there are no two ways about this, we have have to go all out balls to the wall and no dicking about. I have a gloomy feeling that our season rests on this one game. By that I mean a loss would dent an already fragile moral level within the team so a win is going to be a stepping stone to get cracking this season and pull ourselves together. COYB.

ATB

Mac

I'll be wearing brown trousers tonight. Leige are very organised and have a brilliant record at home, this could turn out to be a resounding loss.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Peanuts return to the side will give us a lift and Saha might just have a fruitful cameo appearance.

heart says we'll nick it 0 - 1

head says we'll simply be outplayed 2 - 0

Have faith,we are not as bad as everyone seems to think,we have got most of the players from last season,who finished fifth,we have not become a crap team.

We may not have become a crap team but the main problem is that we haven't made any progress. We haven't made any efforts to get our team better. We haven't built on our good performances and made ourselves a force again, we needed to get more players to adapt to the new teams strengths. We should have bought players, we should have focused more, we should have done it completely differant and this is why we are stuck in this mess. It's going to be hard against Liege but I'm hoping we can get something from this.

We may not have become a crap team but the main problem is that we haven't made any progress. We haven't made any efforts to get our team better. We haven't built on our good performances and made ourselves a force again, we needed to get more players to adapt to the new teams strengths. We should have bought players, we should have focused more, we should have done it completely differant and this is why we are stuck in this mess. It's going to be hard against Liege but I'm hoping we can get something from this.

i agree a lot of the problems were caused by the inability to sign players earlier plus injuries have not helped but we do have a good squad and over the next few months we will see a really good side we need to be patient i know it is hard but this is when the supporters are so important to the team COYB

i agree a lot of the problems were caused by the inability to sign players earlier plus injuries have not helped but we do have a good squad and over the next few months we will see a really good side we need to be patient i know it is hard but this is when the supporters are so important to the team COYB

I understand what you mean. What's done is done. Moyes has had a bad summer and he needs to accept that, and I think he has. And I think that we need to snatch off the hand of Ambani and get some quality stars into the team (Messi, Kaka, Hargreaves) and start to challenge for the title of the Premier League.

We need to stick with the team - we need to show our support and live up to our reputation of the best supporters in the league. Following them all the way - COYB.

I understand what you mean. What's done is done. Moyes has had a bad summer and he needs to accept that, and I think he has. And I think that we need to snatch off the hand of Ambani and get some quality stars into the team (Messi, Kaka, Hargreaves) and start to challenge for the title of the Premier League.

We need to stick with the team - we need to show our support and live up to our reputation of the best supporters in the league. Following them all the way - COYB.

GOOD MAN :):)

The problems at Everton run alot deeper than being able to point out one speciific factor, though they are all interlinking. Moyes not signing a contract, Wyness walking, Stadium being called in, Very little transfer action, the break down between BK and Phillip Green... the list goes on.

But once we start get things right on the pitch hopefully we can distance ourselves with our of the pitch dealings. Hopefully we can start getting in right tonight (though i'm not hopeful!) I've said it before and i'll say it again. We are football fans, not business fans. Lets hope tonight we can have something to finally lift our spirits. God knows we need it.

The problems at Everton run alot deeper than being able to point out one speciific factor, though they are all interlinking. Moyes not signing a contract, Wyness walking, Stadium being called in, Very little transfer action, the break down between BK and Phillip Green... the list goes on.

But once we start get things right on the pitch hopefully we can distance ourselves with our of the pitch dealings. Hopefully we can start getting in right tonight (though i'm not hopeful!) I've said it before and i'll say it again. We are football fans, not business fans. Lets hope tonight we can have something to finally lift our spirits. God knows we need it.

Another great post Jamie - Does anyone know where there is a live streamer like the home leg? A link would be much appreciated.