Sign in to follow this  
adamsmith69

Rodwell

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Everton-star-to-snub-Manchester-United-to-stay-at-Goodison-Park-article422833.html

£40,000 a week? :blink:.

He's good but he hasn't really done anything yet to deserve a wage that high. So when we renew his contract again in another 6 months ( :rolleyes: ) we'll be needing to put him on a par with our top earners and that's just not right. It's surprising to me that (supposedly) we're offering Rodwell this much but have clearly been haggling over giving a more established player (Pienaar) a wage rise.

im with you mark, what message does this send? in modern football a contract will be renegotiated probably several times before it's concluded. for a player who isn't considered first team to offer him this much is too steep IMO, yeah we want to keep him but in the logn run as you say in 6 months he'll be our highest paid and in a year or so we won't be able to meet the demands then and what happens then? if he's established himself and we've not broken into the top 4 he'll probably be off....having said that though, that's probably goign to happen at some point anyway.

everyones gonna want a new deal now...if rodwell (a bench player) is on 40k, why aren't i and i play more than he does?

I suspect we'll see a lot more of Rodwell next year. I think we're going to make serious pushes in both cups and we'll need as full a squad as we can assemble. Felli may also take some time to get back in, and I can see Rodwell roaming all over the center of midfield, especially early in the season.

I suspect we'll see a lot more of Rodwell next year. I think we're going to make serious pushes in both cups and we'll need as full a squad as we can assemble. Felli may also take some time to get back in, and I can see Rodwell roaming all over the center of midfield, especially early in the season.

felli fancies himself back for pre-season though. would you play rodwell over felli or arteta? only in cup games against marine or something

The article says "on a contract that will swiftly rise to £40k a week". To me that suggests the contract will start at some point below £40k (for argument's sake, say £20k) and be structured to include a series of incremental rises, triggered at fixed points in time or maybe depending on appearances. I think that's fair enough - we all hope he's gonna be at least a £40k-a-week player in a season or two, don't we?

The other thing is we've got to dangle some sort of big wages carrot to him because if Manure, Chelski or Shitty were to snap him up, he'd be handed that kind of money no problem. People on this site have been calling him 'future England captain' since he was still in nappies, and now no-one wants to pay the lad top-class wages! I think we'll see plenty of him next season, and if Moyes didn't see him as a first team player, that kind of offer wouldn't be on the table.

People on this site have been calling him 'future England captain' since he was still in nappies, and now no-one wants to pay the lad top-class wages !

Will they be the same people who then moan when Chelsea or Man Utd do offer him big bucks.......and he leaves.

Even if he signs this contract if those clubs you mention come calling they'll still blow us out of the water on wages, so it's not really going to make any difference in that way tbh.

I just think the amount of money we're offering for someone who, right now, is just a bit-part player, is ridiculous, he hasn't earnt such a big rise. I wouldn't be bothered if he'd been tearing up trees for us but all he's done is show glimpses, that's it.

I think 40K a week is a bit steep when I carnt see how hes going to get into the starting 11..... Id like to see us use him in that "Gerrard" role if hes up to it... He seems to relish playing in that role although his performances there havent been to great....

If true its good were showing some ambition... on the other hand for all you conspiracy theorists.... maybe its all a BK ploy..and its the begining of the end......."Rodwell rejects Everton MASSIVE offer" :o

To be honest, I can see him playing much further up the pitch. I know we've offered Cahill another contract, but I can see us rotating the pair, with Rodwell dropping deeper to cover injuries to Felli and Arteta. I think it's in our and his best interest to develop him into the most attacking player we can. He's clearly got the composure and technique to play in the box, and in Cahill he's got a perfect pro to model himself on.

I also wouldn't be surprised if nogs is right about the structure of the deal.

Very poorly written and plainly fabricated piece....

http://www.footylatest.com/man-utd-set-to-table-a-bid-of-20-million-for-everton-midfielder/14265

"...the end of this saga is close at hand, it is just a question of which colour shirt will Rodwell be wearing next season, Red of Manchester United or the blue of Chelsea."

Twat.

In anyone's book a midfield of Felli, Nuts, Mikel and Rodders is seriously good.

Can't wait until they are all on song and fit.

They are a match for anyone in the premiership (perhaps Chelsea aside).

In anyone's book a midfield of Felli, Nuts, Mikel and Rodders is seriously good.

Can't wait until they are all on song and fit.

They are a match for anyone in the premiership (perhaps Chelsea aside).

wouldn't play that midfield myself...rodwell isnt there yet

"An elegant, versatile player, who can play in either the centre of midfield or defence, the 19-year-old is valued at a very affordable £15m by Everton."

Who writes this shit (stand up James Robson)?

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/football/manchester_united/s/1240740_rodwell_a_good_fit_for_united

Until it's on the OS it's still just a rumour for me :) .

Wouldnt beleive everything you read on the OS Mike, accirding to that site, we 'signed' Requelme three seasons ago. Apparently a tester <_<

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/everton-fc/everton-fc-news//tm_headline=everton-fc-starlet-jack-rodwell-is-ready-to-sign-new-deal%26method=full%26objectid=26497419%26siteid=100252-name_page.html

It's good that he'll be staying but it's effectively a one year extension for more than likely vastly increased wages. I hope next season he shows he was deserving of that increase :).

Great stuff, and hopefully they'll be plenty more news like this to follow. I think it is testament to Moyes' belief in this squad that he has moved to offer so many improved contracts so quickly, i think he knows that, injuries permitting, he's got a side that can really go places next season.

As for Rodders, look forward to him playing an even bigger role next season, definitely a superstar in the making, here's hoping his next five years are littered with trophies and honours at Everton!

Amazed this has been on the offical site for 6 hours and hasn't yet made it up here! I guess everyone must be on holiday.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2010/05/24/rodwell-signs-five-year-deal

Jack Rodwell has agreed a new long-term contract with Everton.

David Moyes had previously revealed that the England Under-21 international midfielder was close to agreeing a revised deal and the formalities have now been completed.

Rodwell, who only turned 19 in March, established himself as a first-team regular last season, making 36 appearances for the Blues.

Blues boss Moyes said: “I’m very pleased that Jack Rodwell has signed an improved contract because it re-affirms Everton’s ambition to challenge the top clubs.

“I want to keep all the players we have here to make us stronger in the coming season.”

As well as producing consistently impressive performances, Rodwell also demonstrated an eye for goal last season with a brace against Sigma Olomouc in the Europa League play-offs and a memorable strike in the 3-1 defeat of Manchester United at Goodison Park.

Speculation in the media had linked Rodwell, who made his full Everton debut in December 2007 at the age of just 16 years and 284 days, with a move away with from the Club, with Old Trafford a popularly-touted destination.

However, Rodwell has now committed himself to his boyhood club by inking a deal which will keep him at Goodison Park until 2015.

He becomes becomes the third Everton player to put pen to paper this month, following Tim Cahill and Seamus Coleman in agreeing new terms.

Fantastic news, while I wouldn't say he's got a set place in the side yet and with everyone fit he wouldn't be in the starting 11, I think we'd be foolish to let him go, he'll get plenty of games next season and as he gets more experienced will hopefully with the aid of Moyes and the squad around him will find his position and keep improving.

Now we just want Arteta to sign a new contract and maybe but unlikely Piennar sign up.