Matt

What Grinds Your Gears...

On 14/01/2019 at 21:43, markjazzbassist said:

stuff tastes awful.  beans on toast?  the english breakfast is a joke as well.  yes i'm serious.  i often wonder if the weather prevents english folks from growing vegetables, seems to be a large absence of them in their "cuisine" if you can even call it that.

I'm curious, why do you say that? How often have you eaten in England? There is this stereotype developed by American film, soap operas and comedies is just so far removed from reality it's untrue, just like the bad teeth thing and the pompous accent. Don't get me wrong, they exist but they're the minority, as with any stereotype.

I'm a massive foody, and I love cooking. Only food I don't really enjoy is Greek (ate 2 times at 2 different restaurants, got food poisoning both times) and Chinese (very oily, but I love most other Asian cuisine).

The English breakfast can be, and mostly is, a work of culinary art. When I was home over Christmas, I had one every other day because it's such a treat from the local cafés (Hoylake and West Kirby have a few crackers). I don't mean pub food or greasy-spoon shit - they're supposed to be cheap and quick, you get what you pay for. But a true English Breakfast is special. I've even enjoyed the vegetarian ones! My only complaint is that they're often too small :D 

A roast dinner is pretty much only vegetables. Fish, chips and peas, pies are full of veg... British cuisine is fantastic, varied and vastly underrated. I'd happily take you on a food tour if you're ever over this way, we could follow it up with a Swiss food tour afterwards. If you think the British are bad with veggies, wait until you see what's here - cheese, bread, potato, egg, pickled onions, gurkins and wine for the most part - and I love it :lol: 

On 14/01/2019 at 20:33, johnh said:

Particularly if you live in the Alps where you can't get it!😁

only a quid a tin, if you can find them :( 

I agree with Matt about the English Breakfast being a work of culinary art.  Some years ago I used to visit Hebden Bridge in Yorkshire regularly to visit my dear old Dad when he was alive. I used to stay in the White Lion (Hotel/pub).  Their English breakfast was the best I have ever had. When they put the big oval plate in front of you, everything was still sizzling, straight out of the frying pan. Egg, bacon, sausage, tomato, beans, mushrooms.  Choice of toast, fried bread or hash browns.  Lasted me until tea time (evening meal).  

Matt I’ve eaten there a few times and eaten plenty at pubs here from British ex pats.  I did a simple google and all your papers have articles titled “English food it’s not as bad anymore”, “Europeans rated English food higher than before” etc.  it’s not just Americans, euros don’t like your food either and it has a bad rap with them as well .  Honestly I’m kind of shocked this is news to you guys, Americans are well versed At how others view our food and how some of us view it as well.  

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Matt I’ve eaten there a few times and eaten plenty at pubs here from British ex pats.  I did a simple google and all your papers have articles titled “English food it’s not as bad anymore”, “Europeans rated English food higher than before” etc.  it’s not just Americans, euros don’t like your food either and it has a bad rap with them as well .  Honestly I’m kind of shocked this is news to you guys, Americans are well versed At how others view our food and how some of us view it as well.  

I'm not a fan of your Wendy's and Deny's style of dining massive portions of tasteless food, but I have eaten in some excellent restaurants in Seattle and San Francisco, and I've eaten in some great restaurants over here.

But any country responsible for inflicting McDonald's KFC and dominos on the world haven't got a lot to brag about when it comes to culinary delights😀 

15 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I'm not a fan of your Wendy's and Deny's style of dining massive portions of tasteless food, but I have eaten in some excellent restaurants in Seattle and San Francisco, and I've eaten in some great restaurants over here.

But any country responsible for inflicting McDonald's KFC and dominos on the world haven't got a lot to brag about when it comes to culinary delights😀 

again i'm not bragging, i'm simply saying we are self aware of our shitty food.  meanwhile english are either willfully ignorant or blissfully unaware or their bad cuisine.  its like you guys just realized when i posted that your food may not be that great, which is a little scary having tasted your wares.

Wendy’s is amazing 

expats in the US is not the same as cooks in England any more than an Asian restaurant is the same outside of Asia, Mark. Until you’ve experienced it, don’t knock it ;) 

10 hours ago, Matt said:

Only food I don't really enjoy is Greek (ate 2 times at 2 different restaurants, got food poisoning both times)

I could cure you of that (not the food poisoning, the dislike of Greek food) no problem Matt; it takes a lot to excite my taste-buds nowadays but the thought of a couple of places makes me salivate. Unfortunately they're both in Zakynthos so we can't exactly meet up for a snack:lol:; I'll be there in four and a bit months time though, I'll send you a picture.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

I could cure you of that (not the food poisoning, the dislike of Greek food) no problem Matt; it takes a lot to excite my taste-buds nowadays but the thought of a couple of places makes me salivate. Unfortunately they're both in Zakynthos so we can't exactly meet up for a snack:lol:; I'll be there in four and a bit months time though, I'll send you a picture.

I love the look of it but the smells just trigger memories :( 

19 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i have, i spent time in london

That’s the south, doesn’t count 😛 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

I had a really excellent meal in the Lark and the Dove in Atlanta.

On 15/01/2019 at 01:19, markjazzbassist said:

i had a fresh juice made of vegetables, fruit and fresh ginger every morning for the last week.  i have a juicer though.

I think this is enough evidence to ban MJB from the site :rofl:

On 19/01/2019 at 09:41, Bailey said:

I think this is enough evidence to ban MJB from the site :rofl:

yes healthy eating is the antithesis of everton

5 minutes ago, rubecula said:

I agree :lol:  there is no mention of alcohol

you have booze for breakfast? are you still in university? lol

10 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

He forgot to mention that he doesn't get up till 2:00pm😉

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

breakfast of champions :beer:''

:lol:

42 minutes ago, Matt said:

Speaking of... My 25th birthday breakfast was Guinness on Coco Pops because we were in a tent in Wales with no milk. 

My 21st birthday breakfast was,  cold fried egg, cold bacon, lukewarm beans.  Troopship, middle of Indian Ocean.  No point in complaining.😁

me: "I've been asked to help you create a checklist. I've made a very basic template in Excel, but you're the expert so I need your help correcting it".

other person: "I want to help you, you just need to talk to me more. We've never discussed this. This is something I desperately need" 

me: "I know it's something you need. We've been discussing it for 4 months. I just need your help because you're the expert, and I'm not, and I don't know the technical names of the parts".

other person: "You can't make the template. You don't know what you're doing (no offence). You've been here 6 months now, this is ridiculous"

me: "you're right, and no offence taken. Yes I have been here 6 months, although only on site 2 days every 2 weeks. And I have no mechanical training so I'm learning engineering without any training and doing it all in German, which isn'tt my strongest language. Look... I've tried to make a draft but need your help. This is to help you and us. If you don't like it, tell me and we change it or start with something else - I really don't care what the template looks like. Even better, could you show me what you want as a checklist?".

other person: "no, that's not my job".

me: "ok, so we start with this then"

other person: "no, it's too complicated, I'll spend all my time just writing". 

me: "no, it's a checklist. You just need to update the part that you inspected, what you did and that's it". 

other person: "no, that's not my job. I'm just doing the work, I'm not losing time I don't have on that technical stuff".

me: "ok... But we still need the proof of work and the checklist to make sure we have a plan for maintenance. Agreed"

other person: "absolutely, it's really important".

me: "ok, so we start with this then or ...."

other person: "no, the template is too complicated".

me: "or you give me an example of what you need"

other person: "that's not my job"

:cryingsmiley:

Wife and I did one of those DNA test kits in early December to find out some stuff about where we come from etc from My Heritage.com in the US. Sent samples off on 4th December and so far my wife's has gone through Order placed Nov 22 2018, DNA Kit has been shipped Nov 23 2018, DNA Kit has been activated Dec 4 2018, Sample received at the lab Dec 31 2018, DNA extraction in progress Jan 5 2019 and Microarray process in progress....only raw data produced to go before results are available.

Mine meanwhile (sent on the same day) is yet to arrive at the lab:rolleyes:. Got them on the phone and if it's not there by Thursday they'll send out a new kit, apparently they allow 44 working days for international orders.....original sample probably being tested at Area 51 for alien DNA:unsure:.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Wife and I did one of those DNA test kits in early December to find out some stuff about where we come from etc from My Heritage.com in the US. Sent samples off on 4th December and so far my wife's has gone through Order placed Nov 22 2018, DNA Kit has been shipped Nov 23 2018, DNA Kit has been activated Dec 4 2018, Sample received at the lab Dec 31 2018, DNA extraction in progress Jan 5 2019 and Microarray process in progress....only raw data produced to go before results are available.

Mine meanwhile (sent on the same day) is yet to arrive at the lab:rolleyes:. Got them on the phone and if it's not there by Thursday they'll send out a new kit, apparently they allow 44 working days for international orders.....original sample probably being tested at Area 51 for alien DNA:unsure:.

You sure yours didn't break the equipment?

:P 

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

Didn't make it that far, it broke the US postal service:(!

You mean there's a sample of your DNA floating around the US somewhere? Don't know who should be more scared :P 

I dare not ask how you provided the sample....

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

You mean there's a sample of your DNA floating around the US somewhere? Don't know who should be more scared :P 

I dare not ask how you provided the sample....

:lol:Just a mouth swab I'm afraid, nothing interesting.

10 hours ago, rubecula said:

difficult thing to decode on today  my driving ability may have ended after just buying a new car in October

Stinks that Rubes, similar thing happened to my dad 25 odd years back; had a brand new car on order when he was taken ill and he never got to drive it once. Horrible thing it was though, not to drive that was fine but for some reason it got static build up in the body and every so often opening or closing the thing you got a nasty shock.

For you it's just down to safety mate, yours and others, just go with what you think is right. Does the other half drive?

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 08:44, Matt said:

If it was anyone else I wouldn’t have to ask :P

hmmmm  true enough  lol

went to doctor yesterday pain was awful  sent me straight to hospital

1 minute ago, rubecula said:

hmmmm  true enough  lol

went to doctor yesterday pain was awful  sent me straight to hospital

In all seriousness mate, keep well

46 minutes ago, johnh said:

I can  remember being at the cinema in 1945 (aged 9) when the Pathe News showed the horrors of Belsen.  Even at that young age, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  Unfortunately, it still seems like only yesterday, can never forget it.

I think what brought it home to me was the episode on it in the incredible "The World at War" documentary series in the early seventies narrated by Laurence Olivier. Truly horrific.

Marrying into a Jewish family brought it closer to home as well, my mother-in-law's grandfather died in Theresienstadt, the camp mentioned in the article, and she lost many other family members at Auschwitz. She's insisting on being buried when she dies as, "enough of my family have been cremated".

28 minutes ago, johnh said:

Just carrying on this theme,  'Russell Brand' and 'Comedian' in the same sentence is the ultimate oxymoron.

I don't find him funny either but he does say some thought provoking things, eg...

Really don't get how you can publish such shite without it being illegal. Surely journalists should be held accountable and jailed for their lies. 

https://evolvepolitics.com/daily-mail-forced-to-issue-ridiculously-long-correction-after-getting-virtually-everything-in-an-article-wrong/?fbclid=IwAR0lWECCJig9sMfHa0BLx7GChh-b5rCuo8zzGnjFvaUnqxSNiB_NtjMwTqk

On 22/01/2019 at 13:58, MikeO said:

On 22/01/2019 at 15:17, Matt said:

You sure yours didn't break the equipment?

:P 

The new sample might have done:unsure:.

"Hi Michael,
We wanted to let you know that the results for your DNA kit will be delayed by up to one month.

We are currently upgrading the chip used for DNA analysis, to a new and more advanced version. We are conducting the transition to the new chip with great care and diligence in order to provide you the most accurate results. We expect to renew delivery of results in 3 more weeks and it will take us 3 additional weeks to consume the backlog, so your results are expected to be available within 3–6 weeks.

We apologize for the delay and are doing our best to expedite the process. We will notify you by email as soon as the results are available. You can track the status of the DNA kit at any time.

Best regards,
The MyHeritage team"