Referendum  

50 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

16 hours ago, MikeO said:

Not a single member of my close or extended family voted out I'm proud to say, from a 16 year old niece who was well pissed she had no say to my late father-in-law (who was 93 at the time).

Mike,  doesn't mean much.  Down your neck of the woods they even vote for the Liberal's in General Elections.😁

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

Matt what’s the property prices like sounds like a safe haven. 

200,000chf /20% deposit on a 3 bedroom detached + 5% in admin...

safe, yet costly. Pension, after 12 years, covers half the deposit :( 

1 minute ago, Matt said:

wait let me get this right, if you work in swiss for 12 years they pay 10k towards a home purchase?  wow that sounds excellent

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

wait let me get this right, if you work in swiss for 12 years they pay 10k towards a home purchase?  wow that sounds excellent

Fuck no! :lol: the Swiss giving money away?!

my current personal pension after 12 years is enough for half the deposit on a house (garden not guaranteed). 

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

Roughly how many Francs to the Pound 

Just now, Palfy said:

Roughly how many Francs to the Pound 

At the moment it’s shite, despite Brexit. But it’s a volatile conversion rate and has been for at least 10 years  

GBP/CHF chart from the XE Currency app, https://www.xe.com/chart/?from=GBP&to=CHF

that said, if you want a nice place to retire too and don’t need to worry about access, there’s some stunning chalets available for relative buttons

Anyone else find it amazing that there is such a thing as a no-deal Brexit?

You would think that we could agree on plenty of smaller things around the EU, starting from the base of no deal on trade / back stop etc. It would seem that we have been working from a deal down route rather than a no deal up, when we could have been agreeing tiers of transitional agreements even if the larger problems are still an issue. 

Maybe they have and these will come into play if no-deal does loom and the no-deal aspect only refers to the customs element but it sounds like its all or nothing.

6 minutes ago, Bailey said:

You would think that we could agree on plenty of smaller things around the EU, starting from the base of no deal on trade / back stop etc. It would seem that we have been working from a deal down route rather than a no deal up, when we could have been agreeing tiers of transitional agreements even if the larger problems are still an issue. 

Maybe they have and these will come into play if no-deal does loom and the no-deal aspect only refers to the customs element but it sounds like its all or nothing.

Amazing?! No. Dumbfounding yet completely unsurprising yes.

this is what happens when you’re asked to choose between your current paintjob on your car and an unspecified other, unknown provider of a change; your car gets scrapped 

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

The EU regards the current deal as the basis for a negotiation.  The current deal settles the citizens rights, the financial settlement and creates a back-stop to protect the Good-Friday-Agreement.  It says nothing binding about whether the UK will end up with a Norway or Canada deal, or indeed no trade deal at all.

The EU will surely attach many, if not all, of what has already been agreed to any mini-deal.   So a "managed" no-deal is an illusion, it is either this deal or no-deal.

The EU has published its no-deal notices recently and it shows a number of unilateral measures they will take to keep what is necessary for the EU in working order for a short periode of time, during which companies and member states can fully adjust to a no-deal reality.

Key word being unilateral.

@holystove when its all done and dusted and some semblance of sanity has returned to the region do you think it's likely Brexit will be a net benefit for the rest of the EU, in that they'll be able to achieve things they couldn't with the UK still in there?

10 minutes ago, Chach said:

@holystove when its all done and dusted and some semblance of sanity has returned to the region do you think it's likely Brexit will be a net benefit for the rest of the EU, in that they'll be able to achieve things they couldn't with the UK still in there?

Yes that is my hope.  It's why I backed Brexit.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

For the 27, just not for us.

I never backed Brexit wishing the UK harm.  Hope everything works out.

1 hour ago, Chach said:

And the rest of the world who want a solid EU to provide leadership in the void left by Trumpistan.

EU has been trying to set up a common foreign policy for 10 years..   Brexit helps, but countries like Hungary and Poland can still slow things down (be it not as succesfully as the UK).

22 minutes ago, MikeO said:

432-202 against May in the "meaningful vote".

What a complete shambles.

Biggest defeat in history. No confidence motion tabled. 

#strongandstable

I am starting to wonder if we should start to call her Agent May, only a spy could create such a shambles. 

Oh, and it’s good to see the actual democracy, rather than the lie of democracy that’s been spouted over the last two years, prevailed. Though it’s of little comfort :( 

26 minutes ago, Matt said:

Biggest defeat in history. No confidence motion tabled. 

#strongandstable

I am starting to wonder if we should start to call her Agent May, only a spy could create such a shambles. 

But she'll win it, all Tory MP's will vote for her and the DUP knuckle draggers have already said they will too because they can't risk a general election. It's a crazy situation and I've zero idea what's going to happen next, Corbyn/Labour really missing an open goal due to their "sat on the wall" positioning.

4 hours ago, MikeO said:

But she'll win it, all Tory MP's will vote for her and the DUP knuckle draggers have already said they will too because they can't risk a general election. 

I think Labour have cooked it with this strategy, surely a second referendum on the deal  or no deal is the only way forward. Suggesting they can negotiate a better deal is fanciful. 

7 hours ago, MikeO said:

But she'll win it, all Tory MP's will vote for her and the DUP knuckle draggers have already said they will too because they can't risk a general election. It's a crazy situation and I've zero idea what's going to happen next, Corbyn/Labour really missing an open goal due to their "sat on the wall" positioning.

If she wins it the it shows how shite / corrupt the UKs options 

Meanwhile

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46887188