IGNORED

David Bentley

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh AWESOME. :) Thanks for that Mike, best bit of news I've heard for ages!

Also, I'd rather have Ossie than Jenas and think Leon is too good a squad member to get rid of either way.

So, really. What with Pienaar, Arteta, Ossie and Gosling all able to play there (as proven) I don't think Bentley would be a good signing.

The point with Ossie is that he is a very good squad player, but realistically, we should be aiming for better in our starting 11. I think Ossie and Hibbert are our weakest players at the moment, and they both play down the right hand side. Osman is by nature a central player, but we don't have strong starters for the right.

Depending on how good Bily is, we could either have Banies/Bily on the left and Heitinga/Pienaar on the right, or, if we land Bentley, have the Baines/Pienaar partnership continue and have Heitinga/Bentley down the right. Either way I disagree with this:

So, really. What with Pienaar, Arteta, Ossie and Gosling all able to play there (as proven) I don't think Bentley would be a good signing.

Arteta as has been proven is much more adept in the middle than on the wing, Pienaar is our starting left midfielder (again depending on whether Bily is actually any good), Gosling is too young and undeveloped to be starting any games for us, any important ones anyway, and Osman as we've covered is not a wide player...which is why he often goes missing in games like today.

Another wide player would balance us out, especially a right sided player, and one of Bentley's quality would be absolutely brilliant for us. The only reason he doesn't start for Spurs is because of Lennon.

Hopefully a deal will come off but I have no idea, the last 2 days, espcially deadline day, is far too unpredictable. Only time wil tell...

Edited by The Regulator

Well surely Pienaar will be the starter and then Gosling as a back up will come through gradually. Then if Bentley is there it only means that either Pienaar or Gosling will be unhappy which is not what we want. Just look at how Rodwell has come through because Neville couldn't play there/we don't really have a good holding player.

I just think the wide right position would be over-loaded with another player there, especially when we only have Bily for the left and inferior holding midfield players plus a need for another CB.

Do any of you think that Harry might be less willing to sell now that Modric has broken his leg? Admittedly it's a fracture rather than a kind of Eduardo horror injury but still would mean he will be out for a while.

Edited by L_Blue

Well it's not like Bently could slot in for Modric. More likely Jeans will get more time.

Modric is an attacking left sided midfielder and Bentley is an attacking right sided midfielder. In our team we have Pienaar (who is a right footer) on the left. Also as we all know Osman is not a right mid but he gets played there as there is no one better. Jenas is a central midfielder so I don't think it's out of the question that Harry could play Bentley out wide left for them, I can't think of any other natural left sided players who could play out there except maybe Bale who is probably injured.

Been to the game today and I`m totally gettin pissed off with Osman......He is so lightweight and inept at keepin possesion,sometimes I wonder whether all the stick Hibbert gets is totally justified as the cover Osman gives him is crap.

If you compare him to Pienaar then he is way off the mark,the way Pienaar covers Baines and back tracks is brill.

Osman is good when your 3-0 up and cruising....but when its a battle....forget Ossie.

Good squad player but as Everton are moving forward then these type of players need to be replaced.

Bentley is the type of player who would take us to the next level IMO

this rumour is slowly starting to grow on me...still would want someone with a bit more pace, but i cant make my mind up on Bentley. No question he is better than we have got (e.g Osman) But as someone said about osman tracking back earlier, i couldnt really see Bentley doing too much tracking back to be honest. :huh:

Edited by GoodisonRoad

We don't have anywhere near as much money as the "Top Clubs" so with the little money that we do have wouldn't it be wiser to improve the positions that need improving rather than just creating competition.

Couldnt agree more. I just happen to think that if we do sign Johnny H that RB and CB is no longer a priority so the next position that needs sorting is right mid

Where do you see the priority positions?

Aye. Pienaar on the right IMO.

Also, I think that for any club not threatened by relegation that creating competition for places is one of very few ways to genuinely improve the performances of your first 11.

totally agree competition for places can only be a good thing. Was just trying to point out that maybe RM wasnt a priority anyone. Think we really need some creativity in the middle, as we are really missing arteta atm IMO.

Oh! I totally agree with you on the specifics! I think that we don't need Bentley at all since the right side already has a number of competent candidates available.

We should be aiming for quality not competence I would love to see Bentley sign. If we had Bily, Pienaar or Bentley sitting on the bench that could only be a positive thing

But surely having two LBs and one holding player who isn't too young or not really a holding player (Rodwell and Neville respectively) in the squad is more important than two quality players and a youngster with a lot of promise and a competent utility player for the right side of midfield?

I'm not even sure Bentley has the quality when compared to our other creative players but I'd happily play devil's advocate on this one.

Couldnt agree more. I just happen to think that if we do sign Johnny H that RB and CB is no longer a priority so the next position that needs sorting is right mid

Where do you see the priority positions?

Right mid is kind of sorted because Billy will play on left and push Pienaar on the right. I think right back is most important but as it looks like being fixed then defensive mid is next priority before right mid.

Right mid is kind of sorted because Billy will play on left and push Pienaar on the right. I think right back is most important but as it looks like being fixed then defensive mid is next priority before right mid.

Fair enough but if , and I know its a big if, the Banegra and Johnny H deals goes through, then we will have ample cover for DM and RB and RM would be the priority

It very much looks like Jonny Heit will be signing today and i wouldnt be suprised if Moyes and Kenwright make some comedy bids for players tomorrow. Van der Vaart, Villa and Messi............. If there are any big moves around tomorrow Kenwright will come out and say we matched the bid but were too late just like every other transfer deadline day. I would rather Moyes keep the money in the bank until January than spend another £15M at 5 mins before closing time. Hes good but not that good.

It very much looks like Jonny Heit will be signing today and i wouldnt be suprised if Moyes and Kenwright make some comedy bids for players tomorrow. Van der Vaart, Villa and Messi............. If there are any big moves around tomorrow Kenwright will come out and say we matched the bid but were too late just like every other transfer deadline day. I would rather Moyes keep the money in the bank until January than spend another £15M at 5 mins before closing time. Hes good but not that good.

Glad you also noticed that, last year it was that German Kevin Kyuaniyi. If Heitinga signs I believe that will be it, hence suffering with Osman for another season.

Fair enough but if , and I know its a big if, the Banegra and Johnny H deals goes through, then we will have ample cover for DM and RB and RM would be the priority

And if those deals go through (Would need some sort of miracle) before the transfer window closes, will we have time to get 10 million from nowhere, agree a fee for a right winger and then agree to personal terms. Maybe in January or next season.