IGNORED

Great Britain Football Team - 2012 Olympics

We should have a Great Britain Football Team for the Olympics.

-James

-Terry

-Ferdinand

-Bale

-Carragher

-Fletcher

-Lennon

-Koumas

-Lampard

-McFadden

-Rooney

^I managed to get a good Starting XI. As expected there was a lot of English in the team but I managed to fit some other nationallities into the GB team. I could see that being a good attacking team too which would surely get into the medals. I mean we should beat Argentina, China, USA and whoever else is doing well this Olympics.

And of course, the manager. Sam Allerdyce?

One problem with that.. the players have to be under 23 to enter.. only three over 23 can be in the squad :)

I think there should just be a mini-league between the four nations (Ireland have their own Olympic side and I'm surprised they don't have a football team -maybe had they beaten Belgium to qualify for the u21 tournament they would have done?) u23 sides and the winner of the league should be put forward as the Olympic team.

One problem with that.. the players have to be under 23 to enter.. only three over 23 can be in the squad :)

I think there should just be a mini-league between the four nations (Ireland have their own Olympic side and I'm surprised they don't have a football team maybe had they beaten Belgium to qualify for the u21 tournament they would have done?) u23 sides and the winner of the league should be put forward as the Olympic team.

Just had a look on the Olympic Website, never knew about that rule. So I suppose that my team is a void - still a nice team to have. I would love to see the likes of Bale and Faddy representing us nationally. We should do like you said. Have a Youth Tournement and have the winners compete in the Olympics, we should get it going soon with London coming up we need to get a good fix ;)

This is who I would have plumped for, over 23 players are in bold.

-----------Carson-----------

Richards Terry S.Taylor Bale

------------Brown----------

Bentley-Gerrard -Young-

---Walcott-----Rooney ---

Bench

J. Hart

Jonny Evans

Chris Brunt

Ched Evans

Steven Fletcher (not darren)

Vaughn

Owen

Edited by jamiemaher85

• 1 year later...

It said on the tv a while ago that a GB team would be entered, but that there is a gentlemans agreement with both the Welsh and Scottish FA's not to include any players registered to them. ie the team would be made up of English players.

Not heard anything recently about it, and I can't remember which tv channel it was on so I can't give any references.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/olympics/7905200/London-2012-Olympics-football-guide.html

Three names to watch?

Everton’s Jack Rodwell (19), who ran the midfield skilfully for England’s Under-21s last year, and Arsenal’s Jack Wilshere (18) are generally rated to be the best young prospects in England, while Nathan Delfounesco (19) is probably the most promising striker in that age group.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Northern Irish can though..

MikeO, I think the over-age players need to be in central positions

Terry - influential player for young players and can organise defense.

Lampard - keep London press happy/keeps Adidas-sponsored Steven Gerrard out (PR campaign posters would drive me over the edge!) ;)

Bent - possibly the best English goalscorer. Rooney is also a possibility

Republic of Ireland aren't able to. They have their own Olympic Committee: http://www.olympicsport.ie

They would have played in Olympics if the ROI U21 team had qualified through the European U21 Championship, unfortunately they didn't. It would have been nice to see Duffy / Coleman in the Olympics. Having said that, I think Northern Ireland players can play for Ireland because of the Good Friday agreement.